PDA

View Full Version : how to influence discus to lay egg after pairing ??

Md. Shafiqual Alam
07-21-2015, 06:09 AM
Hi,

I have two cases:
1. A new pair formed but not laying egg since 1 month...
2. A pair which already laid egg earlier and destroyed by fungus since 2 week is not laying egg again...

So is there anything to influence them to lay egg quickly ?...

FYI,
pH= 6.5 - 7.8
TDS = 30 - 70
Temp = 30c
w/c = daily 30%+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1U8Hp3ZbSE&feature=youtu.be

Keith Perkins
07-21-2015, 07:51 PM
My first suggestion would be try their next WC with water a couple degrees C cooler.

zimmjeff
07-21-2015, 09:11 PM
up your water changes. Jeff

alcastro
07-21-2015, 09:29 PM
Maybe a tank for each pair.

CliffsDiscus
07-22-2015, 03:04 PM
Maybe a tank for each pair.

Agree, they need their own space. If you don't have another tank use a egg crate to seperate the pairs.

Cliff

warblad79
07-22-2015, 03:16 PM
50% water change daily, Cold water 78F, earthworm flakes and blackwater extract. When I do this routine, I can make my fish spawn every week and it works all the time.

RogueDiscus
07-23-2015, 03:58 PM
This a probably a bit out there and I've made it all up in my mind, but has anyone ever tried mixing a pair in with others to get 'em riled up and them pulling them out a day or so later? I'm thinking hormones. This assumes the water is not an issue. I haven't done it enough in a controlled situation to say it works, but I have one pair that I think it helps.

CliffsDiscus
07-23-2015, 04:14 PM
This a probably a bit out there and I've made it all up in my mind, but has anyone ever tried mixing a pair in with others to get 'em riled up and them pulling them out a day or so later? I'm thinking hormones. This assumes the water is not an issue. I haven't done it enough in a controlled situation to say it works, but I have one pair that I think it helps.

I did have pairs in community tanks and they would spawn. Others pairs in breeding tanks, I would throw in another Discus just to force the breeding pair to rebond.

Keith Perkins
07-23-2015, 07:22 PM
I did have pairs in community tanks and they would spawn. Others pairs in breeding tanks, I would throw in another Discus just to force the breeding pair to rebond.

I had a father/daughter pair that always did better when I also had a son the same age as the daughter in the tank.

If all else fails, totally ignoring WCs for a week or so and then a colder WC sometimes triggers spawning as well.

warblad79
07-23-2015, 07:40 PM
Sometimes if the male or female is not cooperating, I'll throw them back in the community tank and grab who's willing to spawn and I'll switch it with different male or female. I like switching my pairs.

MadMatt
07-24-2015, 04:03 PM
50% water change daily, Cold water 78F, earthworm flakes and blackwater extract. When I do this routine, I can make my fish spawn every week and it works all the time.

This is 100% correct.
When I want mine to spawn I do water changes twice a day with room temp aged water, this cause the temp to bounce around like the rainy season in the amazon. They will spawn.