PDA

View Full Version : Considering Discus

TXM3
07-24-2015, 09:38 PM
Hello everybody,

I am new here, great web site with great info.

So, like the title says I am considering to set up a discus tank. I got a 100 gallon tank that would be ready to go after some minor changes but I hesitate a bit after reading through some of the info on this web site.

Water changes seems to be critical, does the tank volume and the amount of discus in the tank have any impact on the frequency of water changes? Logically, less fish in a bigger tank would result in less pollutants? Or am I missing something?

Thanks

Matt

Altum Nut
07-24-2015, 10:18 PM
Welcome to Simply Discus Matt,

Water-changes are the most critical when thinking about keeping Discus. Logically as you mentioned can somewhat sum-up that less fish - less waste...or not????
There are many more factors to consider then just the amount of fish per tank volume.
To minimize the amount of water changes to lets say 3X per week at 40-50% volume ea. w/c...
I would recommend Adult Discus at 5 to 6+ inches and for your 100g 6-8 would be suitable.
If wanting 3-4 inch discus.... water changes get bumped up to minimum 4-5x per week at 60-75% volume ea. w/c....this will allow younger discus to reach to their potential.
Other factors that spoil water is the foods you feed if left in tank for long periods...uneaten foods should be removed 15 min after feeding to prevent fouling water quality.

We will leave it at that for now but if you have any other concerns please feel free to ask. However, before jumping in and buying Discus from your LFS...I would highly recommend checking out one of our many sponsors who carry quality discus so that your first experience can be a positive one.

...Ralph

TXM3
07-24-2015, 10:27 PM
Thanks Ralph,

I am not sure I can commit to the required water changes due to my work schedule, might have to wait for now.

alron2
07-24-2015, 10:42 PM
I had a 100 gallon African Cichlid tank for years that I really enjoyed. If you have never had one I would recommend you consider that for now, they do not require near as much time as do discus yet they are very pretty also.

Ron

TXM3
07-25-2015, 02:16 PM
Yeah, I have had African cichlids for years, used to bread various tropheus with good results. Want to try something new though.

Altum Nut
07-25-2015, 07:53 PM
Matt...have you ever considered Angels which are kept in the same water conditions as Discus but can get away with less larger w/c's with good results. Possibly add some German Rams and a couple of plecos until you feel the dive into Discus is an option you may be ready for. Would make for a lovely community tank.
Hate to have you keep that 100g empty...

...Ralph

TXM3
07-25-2015, 08:49 PM
I have looked at Angels, had them many times in the past, great fish. I might go that route. I also had discus many years ago but due to moving etc. I had to sell them to a friend. Its been a awhile though.

pastry
07-25-2015, 11:39 PM
Thanks Ralph,

I am not sure I can commit to the required water changes due to my work schedule, might have to wait for now.

Good pump, hose, sink adaptor... All cheap and make wc's a breeze.... Bonus is setting timer on oven so you don't forget to stop water

AquaAlex
07-25-2015, 11:59 PM
You can do a nice 100 gallon severum and festivum biotope Severums are a great cichlid similar to discus. and the same shape as discus.
Severums and festivums both good cichlids, easy to care for, grow to decent size, and great personalitys.

Debow
07-26-2015, 12:00 AM
Good pump, hose, sink adaptor... All cheap and make wc's a breeze.... Bonus is setting timer on oven so you don't forget to stop water

I work 12 hr days and still find the time with family to do my 4x wc a week and it is all worth it when you can sit down and watch that big beautiful flat fish float around, or come rushing to the top begging for a snack. Its really rewarding tackling the water parameters and seeing happy healthy fish. Good luck with what ever you choose!

FluffyWolf2
07-26-2015, 04:13 PM
Thanks Ralph,

To address 'time' commitment. I have a 75G tank. I have a 65G holding tank I got from a Tractor Supply Co. When doing a water change, I have a 5G bucket and use a siphon to go across the bottom. I will do this twice if I feel its really bad but I usually have done a few quick clean ups between WC changes. I then have two pond pumps. One I have for the tank to sink (as the Python siphon just fails for me), and then I have one for holding water tank to tank. Total time to siphon, take water out, and put water in, is usually 30 minutes. So it is usually do-able while my wife takes a shower, or before I go to work (just have to get up 20 - 30 minutes earlier on those days).

Just food for thought, worth owning Discus to get up or shift when I do the changes. :) (If you DVR a show, the time saved by skipping commercials would be 15 minutes towards your WC. You watch two shows before bed there's 30 minutes of time to do WC :)!)

TXM3
07-26-2015, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the input, I am trying to figure out a way for my wife or son to do it without any complications when I travel for work.

Debow
07-27-2015, 07:42 AM
Anyone think a drip system would work for him with a 75g bare bottom ? I'm considering trying the rip system in conjunction with my water/substrate vacuum. I have a few friends with black diamond rays that have it set up and seams like a good idea.

pastry
07-27-2015, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the input, I am trying to figure out a way for my wife or son to do it without any complications when I travel for work.

My idea. Show them once and done. Pm for more. On ipad right now and can't type fast