PDA

View Full Version : Would you use this barrel?

rickztahone
07-29-2015, 07:20 PM
I am typically the one that tells others to just use bleach on nasty barrels to disinfect them. However, would this type of barrel be an exception as it had some kind of soap rather than the usual apple/fruit juices? It would be for water aging.

Please let me know if you have any experience with these:

I may just avoid the blue and go with the white to avoid problems? Thoughts?

Second Hand Pat
07-29-2015, 07:40 PM
Ricardo, I would just go to Home Depot and buy new. Especially not knowing the history behind these "used" barrows. Best to be sure.
Pat

dragon1974
07-30-2015, 09:21 AM
+ 1 for Pat's comment.

jmf3460
07-30-2015, 09:49 AM
I would, but that's just me. I would get some citric acid (they sell it in small quantities at craft beer and homebrew stores) and sanitize with that then water hose those out.

rickztahone
07-30-2015, 09:58 AM
Thanks all. I will call the person and ask what they use the white one for. Thx

Woodduck
07-30-2015, 01:54 PM
Have any of you considered IBCs (Intermediate Bulk Containers). They are 275 gallons or sometimes 330, and you can buy "food grade" for under $100. Make your water, keep it bubblin", and use just one 55 gallon for heating up and using. They have their fill hole in the middle of the top and it's 6" so you can bury a pump, run the tubing up through a filter sock of your micron liking and keep it moving like that. A 7 x 16 sock fits perfectly. Put a hole on the upper side of the sock to run out your fill tube. Nothing can go in or out. Works great for me.

Woodduck

rickztahone
07-30-2015, 07:34 PM
Have any of you considered IBCs (Intermediate Bulk Containers). They are 275 gallons or sometimes 330, and you can buy "food grade" for under $100. Make your water, keep it bubblin", and use just one 55 gallon for heating up and using. They have their fill hole in the middle of the top and it's 6" so you can bury a pump, run the tubing up through a filter sock of your micron liking and keep it moving like that. A 7 x 16 sock fits perfectly. Put a hole on the upper side of the sock to run out your fill tube. Nothing can go in or out. Works great for me.

Woodduck

Thanks for that Bob. Unfortunately, my space is limited. Although I would love to have 275g of water on hand just in case, the reality is I only have enough space to have a 55g barrel. I bought the barrel earlier today just to check it out. The guy is selling the blue and the white ones for $10 each! That is a no brainer just because you can always use those for many things around the house, even if it isn't suitable for discus aging water ;). I'll give it a good clean and if I am not satisfied with the cleaning, then I will move on to something else.

bluelagoon
07-30-2015, 11:32 PM
You can buy 75 gal. blue barrels.They take just a few inches of room either way.

rickztahone
07-30-2015, 11:37 PM
You can buy 75 gal. blue barrels.They take just a few inches of room either way.

I actually haven't seen a 75g barrel. I would have loved to find one. The vertical space isn't a problem, it is the wider footprint that would be.

nc0gnet0
07-31-2015, 10:19 AM
After I was sure either was cleaned sufficiently, I would not hesitate on either. Just read the MSDS label on the barrels and research the chemicals contained within.

alron2
07-31-2015, 09:02 PM
I actually haven't seen a 75g barrel. I would have loved to find one. The vertical space isn't a problem, it is the wider footprint that would be.

How about a 96 gallon one? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Toter-96-Gal-Green-Wheeled-Trash-Can-025596-01GRS/100208798

Woodduck
07-31-2015, 10:12 PM
Thanks for that Bob. Unfortunately, my space is limited. Although I would love to have 275g of water on hand just in case, the reality is I only have enough space to have a 55g barrel. I bought the barrel earlier today just to check it out. The guy is selling the blue and the white ones for $10 each! That is a no brainer just because you can always use those for many things around the house, even if it isn't suitable for discus aging water ;). I'll give it a good clean and if I am not satisfied with the cleaning, then I will move on to something else.

I'm really lucky Ricardo, my lanai is my fishroom/office with the IBCs (7) just out side the door in the shade.

Woodduck
07-31-2015, 10:14 PM
How about a 96 gallon one? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Toter-96-Gal-Green-Wheeled-Trash-Can-025596-01GRS/100208798

That's funny, I have two of those that I use for heating prior to the WCs