PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Discus bothering pair

WildJon
08-03-2015, 10:29 PM
Juat wondering if anyone has experienced this. I have a newly formed pair who seems to be constantly bothered by a 3rd discus.

The male of the pair doesnt mind the 3rd discus being around, but the female of the pair usually chases the 3rd wheel away.

Even after the eggs had been layed ans fertilized, the 3rd discus stuck around and tried eating the pairs eggs.

Now that the eggs are all gone, the pair is still together with the 3rd wheel still close by.

I could be wrong about my assumptions in the sex of them. Keep in mind they have all reached sexual maturity at the same time and this is their first time as parents

Second Hand Pat
08-03-2015, 10:47 PM
Hi Jonathan,

This is pretty normal behavior in a community tank setting. Also I deleted your thread in the water works forum since that thread was a duplicate of this one.

Pat

WildJon
08-03-2015, 10:54 PM
Thank you Pat. Just out of curiousity, will a female pursue another male that has already paired? Or is that type of behavior of badgering the pair the male?

Second Hand Pat
08-03-2015, 11:00 PM
It could be either gender but in the pair wars I have witnessed with my wild fish, pushing and chasing tend to be female to female or male to male when a pair is forming. Once a pair has form both partners will chase any fish away.

WildJon
08-03-2015, 11:12 PM
Okay thats good to know. Ive got a 65G breeder tank im going to setup next week. Once they lay their second set it probably wont be ready, so by the third time, they will be all alone in their new tank.

Second Hand Pat
08-03-2015, 11:30 PM
I would let them confirm themselves first in your community tank. It can take a bit of time for them to get it right.
Pat

WildJon
08-04-2015, 07:37 AM
I would let them confirm themselves first in your community tank. It can take a bit of time for them to get it right.
Pat

I've just lowered my numbered of discus down to 12. hopefully this will lower the overall stress level and they stop eating the eggs

MadMatt
08-04-2015, 11:21 AM
Your going to put a pair in a 65 all alone?
20-40g would be better for the fry to find parents once they free swim.

Larry Bugg
08-04-2015, 12:15 PM
My first question in a case like this is do you really know they are a pair? Have you seen wigglers? It is not uncommon for two females to act like a pair and either one or both of them lay eggs. Until you see wigglers I wouldn't consider moving them to a breeding tank.

My next question would be, what are the strains of the two that you think are a pair? Is it a good pairing?

I would also agree that a 65 is too big for a breeder tank. If you must use this tank then consider putting a divider in it. Most of us use 20 or 29 gallon tanks for breeders.

MadMatt
08-04-2015, 07:18 PM
Okay thats good to know. Ive got a 65G breeder tank im going to setup next week. Once they lay their second set it probably wont be ready, so by the third time, they will be all alone in their new tank.

What about water changes????
Your going to want to do at min 25% daily changes or better, 65g tank is a bit much to get up with, a 20 or 30g would be a lot more economical.
:)