PDA

View Full Version : What size tank is too big for upstairs?

Jason F
08-04-2015, 10:17 PM
I currently have a 75g in the second level of the house we are renting. I've been thinking about getting a 90g this fall and moving the 75g to storage for right now. My question is how big is too big for a second level? It is against an exterior wall which I know provides more strength and since we're renting bracing the floor isn't really and option. Also since the 75g and 90g have the same footprint I would assume that a stand rated for a 75g will also hold a 90g with no issue. Is this a correct assumption?

Altum Nut
08-04-2015, 11:32 PM
Hey Jason...I don't for see any issues as the 90g will add around 150-200lbs as compared to your 75g.
Is your current stand in fair shape...any water damage and what material is it made from...solid or press board?
Is stand near a support wall that you know of?

...Ralph

Jason F
08-04-2015, 11:55 PM
There have been a few overflows during wc's over the last year however nothing too bad and the stand is solid wood, not press board, so I don't think any damage was done. And yes the back of the stand is 5 inches away from an exterior wall.

DonMD
08-05-2015, 04:59 AM
Do you know which direction the floor joists run? If the joists are perpendicular to the wall your tank is against, it's no problem at all, there will be lots of support. If the joists are parallel with the wall, and the tank is in the middle of that span, then there's less direct support. Even so, I believe you'll be fine.

jmf3460
08-05-2015, 10:01 AM
regarding the 90 over the 75, yes they have the same footprint, but I think you will be more annoyed with the 90 and it wont be worth the extra 15 gallons in the end. A 90 is too tall and one must use a step stool to be able to reach the substrate/bottom for vacuums. Unless you are really tall (over 6' ish) then I'd either keep the 75 or go to a 125. from my experience 90's suck.

Jason F
08-05-2015, 11:32 AM
Do you know which direction the floor joists run? If the joists are perpendicular to the wall your tank is against, it's no problem at all, there will be lots of support. If the joists are parallel with the wall, and the tank is in the middle of that span, then there's less direct support. Even so, I believe you'll be fine.
This makes a lot of sense and I've never thought of this. Unfortunately I do not know which way the joists run, any idea how one can figure this out? Would running a stud finder along the ceiling of the downstairs work? Only way I can really think of. If I had to guess by the layout of the house I would say they are probably parallel to the wall but who knows what they were thinking when this place was built.

Jason F
08-05-2015, 11:44 AM
regarding the 90 over the 75, yes they have the same footprint, but I think you will be more annoyed with the 90 and it wont be worth the extra 15 gallons in the end. A 90 is too tall and one must use a step stool to be able to reach the substrate/bottom for vacuums. Unless you are really tall (over 6' ish) then I'd either keep the 75 or go to a 125. from my experience 90's suck.
I have looked at the height difference between the 75g and 90g and it's one of the things I like. I've also simulated the extra height of the 90g with my 75g and do not believe it will be an issue. Ideally I would love to move up to a 120 however I think that would really be pushing it for a second level spot and I think my wife would kill me cause that upgrade would cost quite a bit more than simply moving to a 90g.

DonMD
08-05-2015, 05:13 PM
This makes a lot of sense and I've never thought of this. Unfortunately I do not know which way the joists run, any idea how one can figure this out? Would running a stud finder along the ceiling of the downstairs work? Only way I can really think of. If I had to guess by the layout of the house I would say they are probably parallel to the wall but who knows what they were thinking when this place was built.

If there is an unfinished basement, then you could go down there and just look up at the exposed joists; I'm sure they would be the same on all floors.

But to answer your question, yes, a stud finder would give you the patterns to determine the direction of the joists, if you have the patience to scan the ceiling below. From the floor you won't be able to use a stud finder, I don't think. The flooring would be too thick to allow the accurate detection of the joists. But this is just my own opinion, perhaps other readers have other thoughts?

Jason F
08-05-2015, 06:31 PM
Our house was originally designed so it could be a duplex with a unit upstairs and downstairs however it was never used that way so we have both up and downstairs. So the downstairs is completely finished. I'll try playing with the stud finder downstairs here soon to figure out which way they run.

alron2
08-06-2015, 07:56 PM
If you have sheet rock ceilings, you could take an ice pick and find the joist then patch the ceiling before the wife finds out.
Ron

Knick
08-07-2015, 08:35 AM
I've got a 150 upstairs against an outside wall with no problems. I plan on putting my 180 in its place once my 300 is cycled and I can move the fish from the 180 into it.
My joists run perpendicular to the wall the tank is against, and it's right over a main support beam.

dragon1974
08-07-2015, 10:41 AM
I've done a 125 gal on the second floor in the middle of the room on the outside wall area. Didn't even check for any joists or anything, and I didn't have a problem. In retrospect, I should have check to make sure that it was on or close to the joists etc. I wouldn't go pass a 150 gal on a second floor, but I'm too afraid to have an accident so I wouldn't even bother with it. I had my 220 gal in my basement and I was too chicken to fill it up for fear of a leak. Reduced everything to 4 75 gals and I sleep better at night LOL.

Jack L
08-18-2015, 08:18 AM
it depends on the floor and the house's construction.

in an old house i had a 55 sink the floor to the point the baseboard trim pulled from the wall

but in general perpendicular to joists you will be better, but even then, if you put it in the middle of a large span (even if perpendicular) vs say near a steel I-beam it would be a different story. one could be solid, while the other is bouncy.

DJW
08-26-2015, 09:27 PM
Modern construction requires that the joists sag not more than 1/360th of the span with 40 lbs per square foot of load on the floor. Older houses typically have bouncy floors because the joists were often only 8" wide. A 90 gallon tank puts about twice that load I think, but the deflection rule in the building code is for the floor's bounciness; a structural failure would take much more. By the way, joists are likely to span the shorter dimension of the space between bearing walls.

discus510
08-27-2015, 12:46 AM
Don't need to worry with anything under 180 gallon tank ur joist should be 2x10 with wood on top it's not going to break apart or sag if tank is against an exterior wall

Discus3anatic
10-30-2015, 10:45 PM
I have a 120g corner bow front in my bedroom and that is 3 floors up. I live in a townhouse too, i just put it against the walls that face outside of the house and against the neighbors wall if that makes sense ? This is where all the supports will be nailed into. I would not put the tank on the otherside of my bedroom though because that would be against the other bedrooms wall and directly in the middle of the house.. With no support. And being a corner tank it isnt long so all the weight is litterally in 1 spot vs spread out

I have 3 fish tanks in my bedroom, the 120g my 27g hexagon which is like 6 feet away along the same wall, and a 10g bowfront.. Not to mentioned my heavy wooden desk is in between my 27g and 120g tank with my fat 280lbs *** always standing there.. I can jump up and down and nothing happens.. Sure the water will wiggle in the tanks a little but thats normal. It would do that even with just a 30g tank by itself.

Just wherever you put a large fish tank like 50-100g+ put it along the support wall.. Meaning the wall thats facing outside of your house. Do not put the tank in the middle of your house against a wall as there is no support there.

Its also best to not put the tank in the middle of the room.. Go in your basement and look up at the unfinished part and see which way the beams holding the floor are.. You want your tank to be closer to the corner of the wall where the beams are going direction wise.

pastry
10-31-2015, 02:17 PM
How old is the house? Agree with what everyone has said but saw where you said it was originally one then turned into duplex. See that a lot with really old houses and worried about way outdated (or no) code. Regardless, that's not a huge difference so shouldn't be too worried. You guys get earthquakes there? Sorry to get off subject but curious because I know it's only a matter of time here n Charleston and wondered how your tanks/stands handle them. After floods and offseason tornado here lately, I'm not surprised by anything anymore

Jason F
10-31-2015, 07:52 PM
I'm not 100% when the house was built but I would guess in the 80's. And it wasn't built as a single family then converted to a duplex, it's actually the opposite, the house was built be used as a duplex but never was. Regardless I'll be done with college this spring so I'm gonna wait to get a bigger tank to replace my 75g in the living room until after we move.

Skip
11-01-2015, 12:40 AM
I have never seen in any forum of a thread on damage to floor from tanks on upper floors.. From the number of times this is posted .. U would think there would be some.. Or at least easy to find