PDA

View Full Version : Tank-bred Wild Strains?

Tres
08-13-2015, 06:53 PM
Is anyone anywhere (hobbyists or commercial breeders), currently breeding any wild strains such as Greens or Royal Blues? Much appreciated if you can advise me with a response or PM!

(The only wild strain I've currently found being produced are the brown discus which Stendker do, although of all the incredible wild strains I was a little surprised that browns are the ones they are producing!)

Phillydubs
08-13-2015, 07:06 PM
I am pretty sure Pat has had much success breeding wilds on her own but I am not sure if she sells them or keeps them for other tanks. She could speak more on it and give you all the knowledge you could ever want regarding wild discus! She's your go to for that in my opinion!

Second Hand Pat
08-13-2015, 07:20 PM
Thanks Phil :D

Tres, I do not know of anyone who has wild F1 ATM. I have a fantastic group of Cuipeua but they most likely will not breed until February of next year. You can also try Mark of Discus Origins or John (snookn21) to see if they might get some small wilds this coming season. That is the best I got for now.
Pat

Tres
08-14-2015, 04:33 AM
Thanks Phil and Pat! I'm not in a rush as this next display project is something which would be happening next year, but it's a relief to find there may be some source of nice wild strains available!

I do much prefer the beauty that nature itself has produced and there is a lot of colour and wonderful detail such as the black ring on the back fins of many wilds which is lost in the domestic strains.

My thinking is that tank-bred wild strains might also still have some wild vigour but be slightly better adapted to tank life than those fresh from the wild, not to mention that this wouldn't then be depleting any natural populations.

Pat, I'll send you a PM to discuss in further detail.

Second Hand Pat
08-14-2015, 07:51 AM
I responded back. Also you should know there is a group of wild greens being offered in a draw on BIDKA (http://forum.bidka.org/). You might contact Clive Brampton. He may be able to help also.
Pat

BIDKA 1 in 100 August draw is now upon us.

We have something special this month with the prize being four Wild Green Nanay Discus!
These beautiful fish are from Northants Discus courtesy of Clive Brampton.

Tickets will be on sale from Tonight(12/08/15) , and fish will be available for collection or delivery after the 18th, when they are out of quarantine.
Terms and conditions as well as entry can be found on the forum.(Forum sign up is fast and easy)
http://forum.bidka.org/

Also please take the time to like and share our page. click "Get Notifications" to help keep yourself up to date with the happenings on BIDKA.

jmf3460
08-14-2015, 08:36 AM
OP also Chicago discus and Kenny have a cupieru cross right now that many people have bought and seem pleased with.

Phillydubs
08-14-2015, 11:08 AM
I have 2 cupieru crosses from Chicago and I absolutely love them... Might be my favorite discus I have kept to date... I have seen pics of kenny's crosses as well, and everyone knows you just can't go wrong with mr. kenny...

Not sure why I didn't chime in on this earlier but Eric at Carolina also has or is working with some wild crosses and tank raised wilds I believe... I have 2 Heckle alequener crosses from him now that are really unique and interesting. He is also a great guy and super easy to talk to and full of info a quick email to him might get you on track as well...

Tres
08-14-2015, 04:16 PM
Thanks! I couldn't find any pictures of those by Chicago or Kenny, so I'll email them to request photos. Can you tell me what the Curipera were crossed with however?

And I did find the Brilliant Turquoise/Heckle crosses on the Carolina website, but it seems they look like domestic turquoise discus rather than wilds...

Phillydubs
08-14-2015, 04:20 PM
The chicago ones that I have are crossed with a red cover... I can not speak on Kenny's as I do not own them nor do I have that info...

Also, I know you mentioned the "tank bred/raised" portion... However, many people. myself included have had lovely experiences with John snookin and Mark discus orgins and their wilds, which are pure wild right from the source... They both do an amazing quarntine job and get them eating before you get them, so they might as well be tank raised with full wild blood...

I know Pat deals with both of those guys, I believe and Jacklyn has some stunners from John as you can see in her threads...