PDA

View Full Version : Water Test Poor.

jbop65
08-01-2015, 04:35 PM
I have 5 Discus living in a BB tank 55 gallon. I do water change 40% every 3 days, 3 days ago all water test were fine, PH good 7.4 Ammonia 0 ppm Nitrite 0 ppm and Nitrate 0 ppm so this morning I decide to do a water change but before I change water I did a water test, seems water in my new area is Hard and lots of chlorine so I am putting water conditioner in my 30 gallon drums prior to WC. Today for the weirdest reason my test results are alarming,
PH is good 7.4 Ammonia is 0 ppm but here is the problem Nitrite level shot up to 0.50 ppm and Nitrate is now at 20 ppm. I contacted the local fish store they are unsure what caused it and said all I can do now is WC every day and add beneficial bacteria every day. is this the answer? what caused the increase? I have kept the feeding the same, not overfeeding and tank is cleaned well. My 150 gallon is still cycling its week 4 now and still about a week away from me putting them in there. please help.

bluelagoon
08-02-2015, 10:27 AM
Three days ago it appears that your tank hadn't started its cycle yet.Now that your see nitrites and and end product nitrate,it is on it's way to being cycled.Just keep up the WC's until you reach No nitrites and then your cycled.Some folks use salt when dealing with high nitrites.Some will go with a lower than 7 PH to make ammonia harmless.

Altum Nut
08-14-2015, 08:39 PM
Three days ago it appears that your tank hadn't started its cycle yet.Now that your see nitrites and and end product nitrate,it is on it's way to being cycled.Just keep up the WC's until you reach No nitrites and then your cycled.
+1

John I would take the advise as posted above to keep up with your w/c's.

...Ralph

Second Hand Pat
08-14-2015, 10:18 PM
Ok. I have deleted several posts. Let's keep this thread on topic.
Thank You,
Pat

MadMatt
08-14-2015, 10:29 PM
It's almost cycled, its close... However 40% every three days isn't enough right now, more wc's till its 100% cycled then you might want to consider 40% every other day, till then 50-75% everyday is what I would do.

I have 5 Discus living in a BB tank 55 gallon. I do water change 40% every 3 days, 3 days ago all water test were fine, PH good 7.4 Ammonia 0 ppm Nitrite 0 ppm and Nitrate 0 ppm so this morning I decide to do a water change but before I change water I did a water test, seems water in my new area is Hard and lots of chlorine so I am putting water conditioner in my 30 gallon drums prior to WC. Today for the weirdest reason my test results are alarming,
PH is good 7.4 Ammonia is 0 ppm but here is the problem Nitrite level shot up to 0.50 ppm and Nitrate is now at 20 ppm. I contacted the local fish store they are unsure what caused it and said all I can do now is WC every day and add beneficial bacteria every day. is this the answer? what caused the increase? I have kept the feeding the same, not overfeeding and tank is cleaned well. My 150 gallon is still cycling its week 4 now and still about a week away from me putting them in there. please help.