PDA

View Full Version : Can it be love?

Wanny
08-17-2015, 02:16 PM
The two Pigeons, one of which has been relentlessly chasing the other, were about to be separated yesterday, because I thought this was bullying. Then I noticed the one, which I thought was being bullied, start shivering, then they both were side by side shivering. Looked it up and read that this was the mating behavior. The thing is the one I know is the male, because he mated with another female before, is very rough, they also peck lips, and he pushes her with his lips. I have had them for about two years, they are from Kenny. I can't wait to get a couple more from Kenny. I post this to let people new to the discus hobby know that sometimes what you think is bullying is mating. The shivering they do is so darn cute! I did not get that on video :(

https://youtu.be/nVQkvcYguC8

Kyla
08-17-2015, 02:29 PM
i dont know if i'd keep a pair together if they were that aggressive with eachother. my pairs are kind to eachother, never nip or chase... they just display and shiver and orient their bodies and talk and stay close beside eachother. that looks pretty aggressive to me...

Wanny
08-17-2015, 02:38 PM
Yes, this is the input I was hoping for, as I was not sure the males are supposed to be this aggressive, and I was worried he would stress her, but then I noticed she was shivering and bowing to him, and thought it was ok. Thanks!

Wanny
08-17-2015, 02:41 PM
Also, at night they sleep so cute next to each other peacefully. I guess if they separate there will be no depression issues? LOL

Kyla
08-18-2015, 12:12 AM
have they been together for 2 years or did u just put them in the same tank and thats when this behaviour started? when the male mated previously, was he rough with his other mate also?

i dont want to discourage u if they are just getting to know eachother and figuring out rank. it can take weeks to establish a new pecking order and have the fish calm down after being newly introduced. i had a battle royale in my tank last time i added a large male. things settled down after several weeks, with the new male establishing rank as top dog in the tank.

also, you mentioned u r sure it is a male. are u also sure the other one is a female?

Md. Shafiqual Alam
08-18-2015, 06:51 AM
hi,
In my experience, I have seen the similar behavior for triangle love :), means, when two males are behind one female the strongest/oldest male always chase the other male like this until he hide or stay very far like other corner of tank and also found same when two female for one male ;)

Detail:
say three fish x,y & z. x and y were living together for long time but not seen any symptom as a pair. when "y" getting sick (HITH/Internal parasite) s/he transferred to QT and under treatment for 2/3 weeks. In the mean time "z" somehow manage "x" and they become a pair. Now situation twist when "y" comes into the scene. When "y" back to main tank s/he do not tolerate "z". And s/he chase "z" until he hide or surrender (kind of lay any corner).

Then I do transfer "x" and "z" into breeding tank and leave "y" into group for new mate :D

John_Nicholson
08-18-2015, 08:13 AM
Don't worry about it. Aggression is part of nature. It is normal. I can't tell you that they are a pair but it sounds like a possibility. If you think they would make a good pair from a quality standpoint then go for it.

-john

Wanny
08-18-2015, 12:09 PM
Update, you are all correct, smart folks!
I noticed the White Butterfly shivering next to the two pigeons, so I have two male pigeons, which have lived together for two years peacefully, the most aggressive older one, had a mate, she passed and yes Kyla, he was not this aggressive with her. They are both fighting over the white female (triangle love), she is cleaning the filter pipe today, exactly where the female that passed used to lay her eggs.
I am not interested in keeping and raising fry. So John, is it okay to leave these three together, let nature do its thing, as you have suggested. They are in a 90 gallon tank with only, the 2 large pigeons, the medium sized white female, and three 3.5 inch (two blue, one albino yellow, stunted). So plenty of room for them to get out of each other's way. Thanks again so very much for all your help and input. This site is the BEST!

John_Nicholson
08-18-2015, 12:18 PM
While they will fight from time to time it is fine to leave them together. They will work it out.

-john

MadMatt
08-18-2015, 06:32 PM
In the world of discus there is a social order just like any other animals or race of creatures. These discus are having an argument and sparring over the disagreement. I have 70 plus discus I have had many spar, never once have they died over it, the worst I had was a male got his top fin chewed off a bit, nothing that didn't heal in 3 days.
John is 100% correct, they will sort it out on there own.
:)

Kyla
08-20-2015, 04:31 PM
i have seen discus so bullied they could not eat or swim. so just make sure the aggression does not result in one fish getting sick from stress. even the lowest ranking fish should be able to swim and eat.

John_Nicholson
08-20-2015, 04:39 PM
i have seen discus so bullied they could not eat or swim. so just make sure the aggression does not result in one fish getting sick from stress. even the lowest ranking fish should be able to swim and eat.

This just means that the weak discus was not healthy to begin with. The stress just exposed a preexisting condition.

-john

Kyla
08-20-2015, 05:23 PM
This just means that the weak discus was not healthy to begin with. The stress just exposed a preexisting condition.

-john

sorry, to clarify the aggressive discus did not allow the bullied discus to eat or swim out of its corner. when the offender was removed the bullied discus was fine, healthwise. but if left in this situation i dont feel the bullied discus would have thrived, and it may have not survived.

Wanny
09-05-2015, 04:04 PM
Well, I did separate for now, because one was getting ripped fins and his nose was getting damaged from the constant pecking at each others lips. I am getting some more discus and will quarantine them with the one I have separated, and when quarantine is done put them all in main tank, see what happens then. Thanks for all the good advice.

Discuschill
09-05-2015, 05:47 PM
The two Pigeons, one of which has been relentlessly chasing the other, were about to be separated yesterday, because I thought this was bullying. Then I noticed the one, which I thought was being bullied, start shivering, then they both were side by side shivering. Looked it up and read that this was the mating behavior. The thing is the one I know is the male, because he mated with another female before, is very rough, they also peck lips, and he pushes her with his lips. I have had them for about two years, they are from Kenny. I can't wait to get a couple more from Kenny. I post this to let people new to the discus hobby know that sometimes what you think is bullying is mating. The shivering they do is so darn cute! I did not get that on video :(

https://youtu.be/nVQkvcYguC8

What a nice discovery TFS.

Wanny
09-23-2015, 12:37 PM
Well, seems the Butterfly picked the wrong male, he ate the eggs after she placed them, and now they don't even seem interested in each other. LOL. I put the bullied Pigeon back into main tank, after two weeks, and now he and the Butterfly are trying to hook up, and there is no aggression with the two male pigeons like before. Crazy fish!!! Thanks again to everyone, this site has helped me immensely. I would have never been able to keep Discus without it.