PDA

View Full Version : Discus with frt?

RDFISHGUY
08-20-2015, 11:15 AM
I am planning to get a few discus and either keep them with FRT or stingray. The discus are going to be in the 5-6" range and the FRT is about 8" shell. The stingray is about 14" disc. If anyone has tried to keep discus with FRT I'd love to hear your experience. I know the stingrays are toss of the dice but I'd like to keep them with FRT and clown loaches.

Phillydubs
08-20-2015, 12:39 PM
FRT?? Call me dumb, but care to expand the abbreviation... I am assuming some sort of turtle?

If you search here you will see threads about discus and rays... There was a very recent one and someone, I can't recall who had videos of his tank with a ray...

Most people would agree, no clowns though, too active, too big and not a good mate...

If FRT is a turtle, I am sure everyone will tell you no way... I had this thought as well and Al shot me down quick and with good reason...

Second Hand Pat
08-20-2015, 01:07 PM
FRT, Fly River Turtle?

RDFISHGUY
08-20-2015, 02:07 PM
FRT, Fly River Turtle?

Yes, Fly River Turtle. He's never eaten anything other than pellets. There are 15 loaches that pretty much keep to themselves. There are also 2 large common plecos that I will exchange for 3 green phantoms that are in another tank. I can move the FRT and the flagtail prochilodus that are currently in the tank but then I have to move the stingray into the discus tank. The loaches will have to stay.

Current set-ups are both 280 gallons (7ft long with 75 gallon drip/day)
Tank 1:
1-Red arowana(24'')
1-NTT Datnoid (15'')
Leopoldi x black diamond stingray (14")
3 green phantom plecos
2 sunshine plecos (10" and 13")
Tank 2:
1 FRT
1 Flagtail prochilodus
2 large common plecos
15 clown loaches size: 5@2" and 10 @ 4"-7"

Any possible combination that might work? The arowana and the datnoid must stay together. The stingray can't be kept with the prochilodus because he sucks on the rays disc.

RDFISHGUY
08-20-2015, 05:44 PM
FRT?? Call me dumb, but care to expand the abbreviation... I am assuming some sort of turtle?

If you search here you will see threads about discus and rays... There was a very recent one and someone, I can't recall who had videos of his tank with a ray...

Most people would agree, no clowns though, too active, too big and not a good mate...

If FRT is a turtle, I am sure everyone will tell you no way... I had this thought as well and Al shot me down quick and with good reason...

Thanks for the input about the clown loaches. I have seen it done several times so I'm not really worried about them. I am more concerned about the turtle and if anyone has specifically tried the fly river turtle.

Woodduck
08-20-2015, 05:52 PM
FRT, Fly River Turtle?

How in the world did you know that??"

rickztahone
08-20-2015, 07:02 PM

Pat is like Noah, she has had two of each animal at some point in her life ;)

Ryan
08-20-2015, 07:43 PM
I'd caution against putting discus in either tank. The first because of the dat and the arowana, the second because of the flagtail. The flagtails are pretty boisterous and may suck the slime off your discus.

Either way, discus don't really appreciate highly active fish. It tends to make them fairly skittish.

Woodduck
08-20-2015, 07:44 PM

That explains it, sounds like fun.

Second Hand Pat
08-20-2015, 08:03 PM

Some smart googling :D

Not quite but close :o

That explains it, sounds like fun.

I have always had a ton of critters around and even kept turtles but I would not keep turtles and discus together.

uarujoey
08-21-2015, 01:16 AM
Depends on the FRT... like most big animals, not all have the same personalities.

I have done it and was fine in my case. I kept the FRT well fed and had plenty of discus and there wasn't an issue.

RDFISHGUY
08-21-2015, 07:20 AM
Depends on the FRT... like most big animals, not all have the same personalities.

I have done it and was fine in my case. I kept the FRT well fed and had plenty of discus and there wasn't an issue.

Thanks Joey. This guy is pretty mellow. The loaches hide under him and swim all around him like he is a big rock. I am going to give it a shot.

NEangler
08-22-2015, 12:41 AM
My 4 to 6inch newly acquired discus hated my group of larger clown loaches from day one. Never ate right or looked comfortable. The discus swam as a group often, looking afraid high in the water column much of the time in my 300gal. Loaches ran the show at the bottom of the tank. Clown loaches under 3inch haven't scared the discus at all once I removed the larger ones

RDFISHGUY
08-22-2015, 09:28 AM
My 4 to 6inch newly acquired discus hated my group of larger clown loaches from day one. Never ate right or looked comfortable. The discus swam as a group often, looking afraid high in the water column much of the time in my 300gal. Loaches ran the show at the bottom of the tank. Clown loaches under 3inch haven't scared the discus at all once I removed the larger ones

Thanks, I can take out the larger ones and put them in the other tank as they get along with everything.

RDFISHGUY
08-22-2015, 09:42 AM
I may have to find a new home for the flagtail.