PDA

View Full Version : My visitor

Woodduck
08-23-2015, 08:41 AM
An alligator sees my American Bulldog and moves in for a closer look. I'm in my wheelchair, so he doesn't see me until I stand up.
My canal is a running zoo with gators, manatees, dolphins, giant tarpon and the occasional bull shark all showing up without warning.
I love my home.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqo7zEzZbws (My voice is muffled because
they can hear you and dive down for hours)

Jack L
08-23-2015, 08:57 AM
creepy how it quietly disappears, you'd never know it was there

Woodduck
08-23-2015, 08:59 AM
creepy how it quietly disappears, you'd never know it was there

Yah, it's the ones you CAN'T see you should worry about.

brewmaster15
08-27-2015, 07:40 AM
Ever shine a flashlight out there at night and see the eyes?... often theres far more gators in the water then you see... but at night you can get a good head count.:) I camped alot in the everglades and theres a pond ...9 mile pond.Lots of canoes out on it in the day. We were out there at night... there must have been close to 50 alligators when we ran a light across the pond.

al

Disgirl
08-29-2015, 08:26 AM
Sounds like you live in a real cool place. Here in eastern NC, I know we have alligators in some of the local rivers and lakes, but I haven't seen them myself. I always wonder how they can take winter here, even though it isn't too cold for too long. There will be ice on the waterways sometime though, but briefly. Golf course ponds are popular with them.
Barb

Woodduck
09-11-2015, 06:18 AM
Ever shine a flashlight out there at night and see the eyes?... often theres far more gators in the water then you see... but at night you can get a good head count.:) I camped alot in the everglades and theres a pond ...9 mile pond.Lots of canoes out on it in the day. We were out there at night... there must have been close to 50 alligators when we ran a light across the pond.

al

Yes Al, I do that. I go down to my lower dock and surprise whatever fish are close. Did you know that certain gars shine the red eyes also. The gators don't seem to care. Maybe it's their "massive" brain. I have a 4000 lumen 3 x 18650 flashlight that lights 'em up.

Woodduck
09-11-2015, 06:21 AM
Sounds like you live in a real cool place. Here in eastern NC, I know we have alligators in some of the local rivers and lakes, but I haven't seen them myself. I always wonder how they can take winter here, even though it isn't too cold for too long. There will be ice on the waterways sometime though, but briefly. Golf course ponds are popular with them.
Barb

Barb, from what I understand, they kind of hibernate in a sense. I don't get ice down here, but it can get below 32° in the winter.