PDA

View Full Version : Not Eating Back of Tank by itself

Fishexchange
08-23-2015, 10:37 AM
Greetings,

New to Discus keeping and purchased 10 incredible Discus from Discus Hans 2 months ago. Most are doing great and growing fast. Not sure if I have a sick discus or a behavior issue. It started almost immediately, the smallest discus would not eat and would not school with the others. About two weeks ago I noticed that that fish started eating and looking better and anther small smaller discus started acting the same way. The first discus in now eating and schooling (however looks stunted) and the second one is now not eating and staying in back of tank all alone. Looks like in good health not growing as fast as others. This behavior intensifies when I feed the fish. As soon as the food hits the water the fish will go hide behind a pipe and will not venture out until all the food is gone.

Thank you,

Keith

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them? Above

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds). Not eating, hiding, small amount of flashing and darting.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment. No treatment to date

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish. 80 gallons, set up for 4 months with 12 black tetras, 2 cory catfish/ then added 9 discus

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often). 1 week ago changed to bare bottom, and for 5 days in a row I have been doing 70% water changes a day. Prior to that it was 50% every other day

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it? 6 month removed sand substrate last week

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing. I do not age the water my tap water is arounf 7.6

8. Parameters and water source; Municipal water and TDS is 150, I have a RO/DI unit but stopped using it, I have been told TDS at 150 is perfect

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp ____84_

- ph __7.6___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading _0___

- nitrate reading _0___

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water __100%__

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently. No

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Eddie
08-28-2015, 10:52 PM
If you switched to straight tap, have you verified there are no major ph swings after aging your water?

Also, not all discus are created equal. There will absolutely be low men (or women) on the totem pole. Some fish will just not be as fierce or lively as the others. You didn't mention the age/size of the fish.

Eddie

Fishexchange
08-31-2015, 10:27 AM
Eddie,

The fish in question were purchased 2.5 months ago and were purchased at 3.5 inches. Most have grown great maybe even an inch or so. The fish not doing well has grown the least. I do not age my water, I mix hot and cold water with Prime and directly in the tank. Do you think I should be aging the water? I have no reason to believe they have worms but should I ever treat for worms as a precaution? Thank you for your time.

Best Regards,

Keith

Fishexchange
09-08-2015, 08:08 PM
The fish is now acting normal, eating swimming with the other discus and actually being aggressive wile eating. I did everything above and stopped using hot water from the hot water heater. I also put carbon in my FX-6 in for a week. Don't know if the carbon helped or aging the water (no PH swing) as suggested above. Thank you Eddie

Eddie
09-18-2015, 06:38 PM
The fish is now acting normal, eating swimming with the other discus and actually being aggressive wile eating. I did everything above and stopped using hot water from the hot water heater. I also put carbon in my FX-6 in for a week. Don't know if the carbon helped or aging the water (no PH swing) as suggested above. Thank you Eddie

Awesome news. Keep things constant.

Take care!