PDA

View Full Version : VideosAsian Strains & My Statement About How I'm Attempting to Mix Asians & Stendkers

hannapro
08-23-2015, 02:52 PM
I presently have 6 Asian strains in a 55 gallon tank. I will be buying five Stendkers for another 55 from my fish wholesaler. This is where the experiment comes in... What I intend to do is before the first 80% water change per tank, I'm going to introduce one gallon of water from each system to the other system. Then I will closely observe fish until next water change. In this hopeful experiment the water changes will be every three days in order to allow some fishy change to the water. On the next 80% water change, I will introduce two gallons and keep this up until I can mix them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb4XkNRNjEE

quattrok04
08-23-2015, 03:11 PM
Wow hannapro is on Simply cool, I always liked your videos, the intros are funny always make me laugh, good job, and good luck mix the discus....

Larry Bugg
08-23-2015, 03:13 PM
Not sure why you are going to all this trouble. I've mixed Germans and Asians quite often in my fish room. Never had an issue.

hannapro
08-23-2015, 03:22 PM
I've had a number of aquarists mention that Stendkers cary immunities that asians can acquire and vice versa. So, you've never had a problem mixing them?

hannapro
08-23-2015, 03:23 PM
Thank you Alfredo... Hey, how about being on a podcast with me in September?

hannapro
08-23-2015, 03:44 PM
Larry... Would you honor me by doing a podcast with me on my network talking about that very thing ...Mixing?

Larry Bugg
08-23-2015, 04:41 PM
I've had a number of aquarists mention that Stendkers cary immunities that asians can acquire and vice versa. So, you've never had a problem mixing them?

No, I've never had an issue.

Larry Bugg
08-23-2015, 04:43 PM
Larry... Would you honor me by doing a podcast with me on my network talking about that very thing ...Mixing?

Sorry, I have to pass on the offer.

Fishquake
08-23-2015, 04:45 PM
I have. Stendkers dead. Asians alive.

sdrexler078
08-23-2015, 05:21 PM
I'm with Larry on this. I've mixed before with no deaths. But I do believe in quarantine but I don't think adding a gallon of water slowly is necessary

Larry Bugg
08-23-2015, 05:35 PM
I'm with Larry on this. I've mixed before with no deaths. But I do believe in quarantine but I don't think adding a gallon of water slowly is necessary

Absolutely, quarantine is always the way to go. Should clarify, I didn't mean to suggest mixing before quarantine. When I mix it is with fish that have been in my fish room for a while.

Fishquake
08-23-2015, 05:40 PM
Hans was right. He recommended against it. I did it any way. Quarantined, the whole bit. Still failed. Spent a fortune on meds. As soon as I thought they were fine, reintroduced them. Didn't last long. I suck. Heart ache...

Allwin
08-23-2015, 07:53 PM
Mixed German/Asian discus few times, proper quarantine is what needed and of-course patience.

Fishquake
08-23-2015, 08:10 PM
Patience is indeed a virtue in the world of Discus.

MKD
08-24-2015, 02:25 AM
Agree with the above, It can be done. QT and patience is the key. IMO, QT is a must for even when you get from same seller who gets from different sources.

Fishquake
08-24-2015, 04:41 AM
The issue is is that no matter how long you quarantine German sourced discus, if you eventually put them into an aquarium that houses Asian sourced Discus the potential for diseases that the Asian Discus are in all likelihood carriers of though which they have developed an immunity. Introducing fish without such immunity, even after they have been quarantined for weeks or months will still result in sick fish. I'm not saying this is the case for everyone, perhaps its a matter of which Asian sourced Discus you already keep.

ESXiGuy
08-24-2015, 09:55 PM
The issue is is that no matter how long you quarantine German sourced discus, if you eventually put them into an aquarium that houses Asian sourced Discus the potential for diseases that the Asian Discus are in all likelihood carriers of though which they have developed an immunity. Introducing fish without such immunity, even after they have been quarantined for weeks or months will still result in sick fish. I'm not saying this is the case for everyone, perhaps its a matter of which Asian sourced Discus you already keep.

You can put one of each in a tank and see if one of them infects the other. No way to know for sure without taking that plunge.

Fishquake
08-25-2015, 05:51 AM
[QUOTE=ESXiGuy;1170845]You can put one of each in a tank and see if one of them infects the other. No way to know for sure without taking that plunge.[/QUOTE

Agreed. I actually did that. Gave them 2 weeks, all seemed well. In retrospect it would have been better to give them far more time. That's where the patience comes in...