PDA

View Full Version : K1 bottles and water flow

dprais1
08-26-2015, 12:05 AM
Here's my little story.

I decided to make a diy K1 filter. Decided on the micro K1 in a water bottle, I used a Smart Water bottle, 1 liter.
I have always had bad luck with suction cups so I decided to to just have it free-standing/sitting in the tank. I added a handful of stones to the the bottom of the bottle so it would stay sunk.

I drilled some holes in the bottom and some in the cap and some around the top. Hooked it up to an air pump and put it in the tank. It wasn't cycled but still flowed and spun around in the bottle without issue.

I added a little colored water with a syringe very near the bottom holes to see what kind of flow I was getting. Apparently none. I raised the top of the bottle a inch or so out of the water and to my surprise no water was coming out. I know when I do the same with the uplift tube on a sponge filter I can see water spilling out which confirms some water flow through the sponge.

I made another one but only drilled holes in the bottom so all the water and air flow would have to go through the cap. I pulled the bottle out of the water about an inch and again nothing. No water flow.

So I added a piece of hose, 1.25" ID, about 4" or so and checked again. Now I had some water flow, not as much as with my sponge but definitely moving water.

Finally, I got some 1" ID vinyl hose and cut about about a 6-7" length and attached that where the cap would have gone. 1" ID will not fit around the cap. I used a piece of plastic canvas wedged in the hose to prevent the K1 from escaping.

Now I have good flow. The same as my sponge filter? Not sure, the sponge filter uplift tube is narrower so less water may look like more. Either way it a good enough flow rate that I'm happy with it.

Which raises the question: Are the K1 filter without an uplift tube even moving water through them? I'm sure there is some but if they only flow a gallon or two an hour isn't it kind of pointless?

I'm sure some will say "I've had one running for a year without issue". But, again, my real question is have you checked to see if there is any water flow?

I'd love to hear what others have found or maybe what they discover if they check for water flow.

dprais1
08-26-2015, 12:10 AM
Second Part.

I found the stones I put in the bottom were starting to collect and trap poop and uneaten food. It looked bad and was just a breeding ground for nasties.

So I on the last bottle I made I put in stones and the poured in epoxy resin (totally safe when cured) into the bottle until it just covered the stones.
Then I drilled the holes right above the line of epoxy.

Now it is heavier, looks better and, so far, does not collect and nasties.

100fuegos
08-26-2015, 10:44 AM
Care to share any pictures?

I never liked the traditional bottle design either. I made mine out of 2.1 liter clear plastic with threaded cap spaghetti containers and a lift tube. Worked wonders with a huge water flow. If only they were not so noisy...

I will share a picture or two later.