PDA

View Full Version : Dad suffers split pectoral fins when raising fry

DonMD
08-30-2015, 10:17 AM
This Fire Red Stendker suffers terrible split pectoral fins when he's raising fry. The last batch he had the same thing. Once I removed the fry his fins repaired themselves, and now with this batch it's the same thing all over. Mom doesn't suffer any adverse problems at all. But she does nip at him frequently, so I'm thinking it's a combination of stress from the fry, and stress from the female.

Breeders, do you see this at all with your fish? Any ideas or advice? Thanks, -Don

strawberryblonde
08-30-2015, 01:45 PM
My Marlboro used to get chewed up like that, but he wasn't one for sharing the parenting duties so I usually took pity on the female and returned her to the main tank while he was on Daddy duty. He always healed right up as soon as I removed him from the fry tank.

And he was a great foster Dad - actually, he was the best parent out of all my discus. LOL

DonMD
08-30-2015, 01:47 PM
My Marlboro used to get chewed up like that, but he wasn't one for sharing the parenting duties so I usually took pity on the female and returned her to the main tank while he was on Daddy duty. He always healed right up as soon as I removed him from the fry tank.

And he was a great foster Dad - actually, he was the best parent out of all my discus. LOL

Thanks, Toni, that's good to know. This guy is also an excellent dad.