PDA

View Full Version : Is this a tape worm??

krislewis3
08-31-2015, 06:16 AM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/images/icons/icon1.png

Ardan
08-31-2015, 07:18 AM
The link doesn't work for me.

Ardan

DISCUS STU
08-31-2015, 09:56 AM
Same here, link not working. You could try posting this directly by capturing the image and using the "insert image" icon.

Altum Nut
08-31-2015, 10:54 AM
Hello Kris...are these the photos

...Ralph

rickztahone
08-31-2015, 11:39 AM
Kris, with those photos, it isn't clear to see what it can possibly be. How is the discus acting? Is it acting better after the metro treatment? How many WC's are you currently doing on this tank? Metro dosing is currently over correct?

jmf3460
08-31-2015, 12:53 PM
looks like poo to me......ha

krislewis3
08-31-2015, 03:27 PM
Ghttp://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/imagsmall/newnematode.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/wimsmall/worm.html&h=227&w=600&tbnid=nLaV1YiKDwmP4M:&docid=0eWHTf9U1St91M&hl=en&ei=MarkVbiyJMb_-AH4hrWAAg&tbm=isch&client=safari&ved=0CGgQMyhAMEBqFQoTCPiOza-G1McCFcY_PgodeEMNIA

I've finished 10 days of metro, and the fish continues to look good/acts normal, throughout the treatment. Although he was eagerly eating freeze dried black worms during metro, he wouldn't eat other foods that were offered. Since metro, he is eating a greater variety of foods, but continues to be smaller than the others his age. He still passes white, and some darker (brownish, but not black) feces. WC schedule is daily 50%.
This photo that I've included IS NOT a photo of my specimen under the microscope, however , I viewed my specimine under a microscopelooked, and it looked similar. I could see the outline around the outside of it as clear as if someone used a magic marker. I could also see what appeared to be a deeper layer of tissue that was also very specifically outlined. I'm thinking that it might be some type of worm. It is not as dark as it appears in the photo.
What do you guys think??

Ardan
09-01-2015, 06:53 AM
It does not look segmented like a tapeworm, so I don't think it's that. Looks more like constipation/intestinal lining. However there could be a nematode in there. For nematodes I use Levamisole.
If it is eating well, I would give it a break from meds and let it rest some.

hth
Ardan

krislewis3
09-01-2015, 09:50 AM
Yea.... I was thinking round worms also, however, there are NO eggs viewable under the microscope! Wouldn't I see eggs if it were round worms? Kris

nc0gnet0
09-01-2015, 10:15 AM
no more medications please.

Second Hand Pat
09-01-2015, 10:23 AM
Hi Kris,

I agree with Rick on the no meds part. Since you are a repeat customer to the emergency room I guessing that there are some stress factors on your discus which are possibly causing these recurring problems. Perhaps if you could share some details of your tank, discus, diet, routine and WC schedule perhaps we could offer some suggestions to help keep your discus in a healthy state and make your discus experience way more enjoyable.

Pat

krislewis3
09-01-2015, 11:35 AM
After witnessing another strange looking bowel movement, i again took it to the hospital lab, and while I was looking at it under the microscope, the pathologist came in....sooo, I asked him to take a look! He identified it as a worm, but because he's not familiar with fish pathology, he hesitated to identify the type! So.......now im concerned about the others in the tank! (These symptoms did not show up in qt. and I'm not sure, but I thought Kenny wormed his fish before selling them! Should I give then a couple of weeks before subjecting them to more meds? Any suggestions on how to proceed would be appreciated!appreciated.

Second Hand Pat
09-01-2015, 11:49 AM
Maybe it's time you sought out a fish vet for a definitive diagnosis.
Pat

krislewis3
09-01-2015, 12:00 PM
Hi Kris,

I agree with Rick on the no meds part. Since you are a repeat customer to the emergency room I guessing that there are some stress factors on your discus which are possibly causing these recurring problems. Perhaps if you could share some details of your tank, discus, diet, routine and WC schedule perhaps we could offer some suggestions to help keep your discus in a healthy state and make your discus experience way more enjoyable.

Pat

My tank is 90 gl. With 2217 ehime cannister filter, and 1 large sponge filter! I do 50% wc every other day normally, and daily when there are problems. They get fed 4x daily, freeze dried black worms, beef hart flake, omega one pellets,
garlic/veggie flake, brine shrimp. My water is aged, 85deg., 0 Amonia, 0 Nitrite,5 Nitrates, ph 7.

Second Hand Pat
09-01-2015, 12:41 PM
My tank is 90 gl. With 2217 ehime cannister filter, and 1 large sponge filter! I do 50% wc every other day normally, and daily when there are problems. They get fed 4x daily, freeze dried black worms, beef hart flake, omega one pellets,
garlic/veggie flake, brine shrimp. My water is aged, 85deg., 0 Amonia, 0 Nitrite,5 Nitrates, ph 7.

Thanks Kris, where is the tank located and are there any tank mates? Snails etc.
Pat

nc0gnet0
09-01-2015, 02:00 PM
I would like to see a picture of the feces. Was the whole sample identified as a worm, or did the Dr. think he saw a worm in the feces?

krislewis3
09-01-2015, 02:09 PM
No Rick....the entire sample was one worm! I'm planning to get more fecal samples to see if there are any identifiable eggs in them! (I've not seen eggs in the worm sample) kris

krislewis3
09-01-2015, 02:12 PM
Thanks Kris, where is the tank located and are there any tank mates? Snails etc.
Pat

Tank is located in what was my dining room, but is now used as a fish room.(low traffic) the tank is now bare bottom/no decor, and houses 4 adult discus, and 4 Juvies, all from Kenny! All 8 fish are beautiful, and healthy appearing!

nc0gnet0
09-01-2015, 04:10 PM
No Rick....the entire sample was one worm! I'm planning to get more fecal samples to see if there are any identifiable eggs in them! (I've not seen eggs in the worm sample) kris

Can we see a picture of the worm?

krislewis3
09-01-2015, 04:12 PM
I would like to see a picture of the feces. Was the whole sample identified as a worm, or did the Dr. think he saw a worm in the feces?

This photo is fecal matter that the fish just passed...it's mostly clear, with a darker brown on the end!....I'll scope it tomorrow!

nc0gnet0
09-01-2015, 09:12 PM
Kris, it's not a worm. relax.

MadMatt
09-01-2015, 10:07 PM
Your OCD like me, when you think the fish is sick, stop and relax and think, "am l being nuts again?".
Take a deep breath and change more water... You can't hurt your fish doing more WC's, but you can medicating. If you continue medicating your going to stunt, and or make the fish sterile and kill any ideas of ever breeding the fish.
Best of luck but I would listen to Rick.

alron2
09-01-2015, 10:42 PM
Mud,

If it is not caused by worms what made the feces look this way?

Thanks
Ron

Altum Nut
09-01-2015, 11:49 PM
This photo is fecal matter that the fish just passed...it's mostly clear, with a darker brown on the end!....I'll scope it tomorrow!

Let's all wait for Kris to scope it.

...Ralph

krislewis3
09-02-2015, 03:42 AM
Kris, it's not a worm. relax.j

For the first time, a second fish passing abnormal bowel content after 10 day metro treatment. This segment was quite long by the time he finished passing it! It is quite firm...I picked it up with a tweezers and after squeezing it, it retained its shape. Any thoughts?

krislewis3
09-02-2015, 06:17 AM

The entire sample looked like a worm. He could identify tissue layers.When I Look very closley at the above photo......I think im seeing tiny segments. Do you see this?

MadMatt
09-02-2015, 07:17 AM
Is this regular poop with white poop from medicating?

j

For the first time, a second fish passing abnormal bowel content after 10 day metro treatment. This segment was quite long by the time he finished passing it! It is quite firm...I picked it up with a tweezers and after squeezing it, it retained its shape. Any thoughts?

brewmaster15
09-02-2015, 08:07 AM
After witnessing another strange looking bowel movement, i again took it to the hospital lab, and while I was looking at it under the microscope, the pathologist came in....sooo, I asked him to take a look! He identified it as a worm, but because he's not familiar with fish pathology, he hesitated to identify the type! So.......now im concerned about the others in the tank! (These symptoms did not show up in qt. and I'm not sure, but I thought Kenny wormed his fish before selling them! Should I give then a couple of weeks before subjecting them to more meds? Any suggestions on how to proceed would be appreciated!appreciated.

Kris,
What kind of a pathologist identified that as a worm? Did they say it was a worm or there were worms present in the feces. That really does not look like a worm to me. It looks like intestinal lining/mucous and feces. The lab most likely has the ability to photograph under the scope.. may help if the pathologist there takes some pictures. At the minimum I would consult a veterinarian ...but a fish pathologist would be better...try the universities near you.

My suggestion is that you is at this point do nothing...let the fish rest and see how they are.

I really don't think that is a worm.

hth,
al

Jason.M
09-02-2015, 09:28 AM
He could identify tissue layers.

I think the tissue he may be seeing is in fact intestinal lining that has been shed by the fish, which can happen due to stress. I think what you are looking at is exactly what Al has stated.

rickztahone
09-02-2015, 11:15 AM
Kris,
What kind of a pathologist identified that as a worm? Did they say it was a worm or there were worms present in the feces. That really does not look like a worm to me. It looks like intestinal lining/mucous and feces. The lab most likely has the ability to photograph under the scope.. may help if the pathologist there takes some pictures. At the minimum I would consult a veterinarian ...but a fish pathologist would be better...try the universities near you.

My suggestion is that you is at this point do nothing...let the fish rest and see how they are.

hth,
al

Additionally to what Al says, if you did a 10 round treatment of meds and now you are seeing a fish potentially passing worms in its feces. Better out of the body than in right? Let the discus rest for a few days, observe and take it one day at a time.

krislewis3
09-02-2015, 02:11 PM
Kris,
What kind of a pathologist identified that as a worm? Did they say it was a worm or there were worms present in the feces. That really does not look like a worm to me. It looks like intestinal lining/mucous and feces. The lab most likely has the ability to photograph under the scope.. may help if the patho

hth, h
al

Al, this is NOT the photo of the 'worm' that the hospital pathologist identified. I don't have a photo of that slide. (The lab is nice enough to let me use their equipment to look at fish poop. I'd be pushing it if I asked for access to their microscope photo software, and then ask them to show me how to use it! LOL.... Of course, since fish /worm anatomy is NOT this pathologists specialty....I can't be sure. of what it is...I guess time will tell!!

krislewis3
09-02-2015, 03:19 PM
As an update... Kenny is working with me to diagnose, and treat the problem. I will follow his lead, and hopefully I will post a 'happy ending' to this thread very soon......Kris