PDA

View Full Version : found this on Amazon . com seems strange to me

pitdogg2
08-31-2015, 12:21 PM
Looking at breeding cones and seen this review. All reviews for this item all seem to indicate that they are too light and easy to tip over

http://www.amazon.com/Cobalt-International-Breeding-Cone-9/dp/B00M4Q92I4

Keeps his breeding pair at 78*F I can say for a fact mine do not like 79* at all. they went all into the corner and huddled together like they were frigid...forgot to plug in heater after WC good thing it was June or I might of had fishcicles ...

Most Helpful Customer Reviews
2 of 2 people found the following review helpful
A bit too light.
By N. Henderson on May 23, 2015
Verified Purchase
It is rather easy for the fish to knock over. I think I'll probably glue a rock or chunk of stone tile onto or inside the base (using silicone caulk with plenty of curing time.) Other than that, the design is quite good; a good size and shape, and the lip on the bottom catches fry that 'get loose' and fall down, which makes the parent's job easier in a cluttered tank. (Discus fry spend about a week just stuck to surfaces before they become free-swimming.)

For those who might be curious, I keep my breeding pair at 78F, with somewhat alkaline, moderately hard strait tap water, no filtration (a single air stone to provide some water circulation), and about a 50% water change once a month or every other month. They also just get Tetra Bits for food; nothing fancy. They are thriving. The key to the system is simple: Good plant lights (110 W over a 90 gallon tank) and floating plants (I have frogbit, but duckweed or any number of other floating plants would do just as well.) The live plants form the basis of the ecosystem, so no filtration is needed. With such a system, even water changes are largely unnecessary (but silt and tannins slowly build up, so it can start to look poorly.)

If you want as beautiful a tank as possible, plant the tank in a more traditional way (such as a low nutrient soil based substrate with bunch plants.) Traditional plants reduce water flow and help sediment settle out; that's the way to get that pretty crystal-clear water. I highly recommend getting a copy of: http://www.amazon.com/Ecology-Planted-Aquarium-Diana-Walstad/dp/0967377366/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432404236&sr=8-1&keywords=planted+aquariums

DISCUS ARE NOT MAGICAL. The live in the same environment and eat the same things as many many other common Amazonian fish. They seem to be a bit more sensitive to poor water quality than most fish, but in my experience they aren't as fragile as, say, cardinal tetras or German rams.)

Second Hand Pat
08-31-2015, 12:29 PM
Seems like an odd place to give discus advice and quite horrible advice at that.
Pat

rickztahone
08-31-2015, 02:06 PM
Seems like an odd place to give discus advice and quite horrible advice at that.
Pat

whoa, you ain't kidding. That is some pretty bad advice all around.

DISCUS STU
08-31-2015, 02:34 PM
Pretty bad, and ridiculous, advice but the design of the cone seems pretty good with up turned sills on the bottom for Discus to catch the strays that have fallen off w/o them getting lost on the bottom of the tank.

At $17.56 by other sellers it doesn't look like a bad price either.

dragon1974
08-31-2015, 02:37 PM
jokes

pitdogg2
08-31-2015, 04:11 PM
except most reviews all say they tip quit easy, I went with these below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221857214102?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have been waiting months for Kens fish to get more in but I'm done waiting. I got them shipped for less as I bought more than 1

Second Hand Pat
08-31-2015, 07:09 PM
I always go with Barb's cones. Heavy with no tipping and the price is about the same or a bit better.
Pat

Jack L
08-31-2015, 10:21 PM
troll by way of amazon, when you are done nibbling on that hook.... go look up 3 wolf moon tshirt on amazon, best material out there!!!!

MadMatt
08-31-2015, 10:29 PM
I have this cone, actually two of them, they are light but not horrible, they do work.

rickztahone
09-01-2015, 12:54 AM
troll by way of amazon, when you are done nibbling on that hook.... go look up 3 wolf moon tshirt on amazon, best material out there!!!!

Lol, we'll that made my night

smsimcik
09-01-2015, 08:44 AM
I have 2 of these cones too. They are light but work pretty well. Angels Plus sells them for $13.95.

pitdogg2
09-01-2015, 09:08 AM
I always go with Barb's cones. Heavy with no tipping and the price is about the same or a bit better.
Pat

As I would of also but shipping was going to be far more than I could afford. Barb quoted 40$ for shipping to me plus the cost of the cone's.
as for others Larry Bugg gave me a good place to get some also but after several emails and no replies I go somewhere else.
I have had the same result with Kens Fish I have sent several emails to him as to when or if he will get several products back in and no replies....

rickztahone
09-01-2015, 04:50 PM
Listen, if it is a cone you are after, go to your local Home Depot and get yourself a clay pot. OR, buy some large diameter pvc and glue it to a slate bottom. Easy peezy, like my daughter says ;)

pitdogg2
09-01-2015, 05:22 PM
Listen, if it is a cone you are after, go to your local Home Depot and get yourself a clay pot. OR, buy some large diameter pvc and glue it to a slate bottom. Easy peezy, like my daughter says ;)

been using clay pots for some time now, just was looking to get something easier to get a wrap around to keep them from eating the fry once hatched. I tried to wrap the pots for me it wasn't working well as the parents could still get to them to eat. Look I'm not sure this will work any better but they did come with a type wrap that would fit better than a clay pot. As for PVC not having it tried it my fish would rather lay on the glass or my wood NEVER on PVC in either 75gal tank.

My pair in with 4 other Discus will protect the heck out of the eggs then once wigglers they (Parents) will just turn off protection mode and turn on FEAST mode, On the other hand if they make to to free swimming they turn on protect mode and keep the others on the other side of the tank. My other pair in the other 75 it is the female I must keep away from the eggs as when the male goes to eat she helps herself to the eggs. This last week he almost killed her after she did it again I had her basically floating in the tank when I got home from work. She has been in hospital tank now at the moment while she regrows scales and fins. I will not know if she will be able to go back in with him. This is the first time for me to see this type of brutality in Discus, Others cichlids I very familiar with. My male had the Dovii look of death in his eyes.

Jack L
09-12-2015, 07:43 PM
i actually bought that book the OP was referencing in the amazon thread. i had seen it before, considered buying it, but didn't before.
i'm reading it now.

if i convert to a dirt tank, i'll considered adding it to the 140 thread. i have zero experience doing a dirt, never saw one, don't know anyone that did one... so we will see.

what i know is cleaing detritus off of sand has gotten old

Jack L
10-29-2015, 10:23 PM
most of you would probably hate the concept of book.

a super quick summary

1. use dirt under gravel
2. use plants
3. don't clean the gravel, the mess will be turned to goodness in time by bacteria and plants
4. don't do water changes
5. don't use much in the way of bio media in filters

jdhuyvetter
10-29-2015, 10:56 PM
I find it interesting that they say clownfish spawn on it. Most people I know breeding clowns use clay pots for caves.

Luke in Phoenix
10-29-2015, 11:09 PM

I don't know how you found that but it was the best laugh all week!
-Luke

rickztahone
10-29-2015, 11:41 PM
I don't know how you found that but it was the best laugh all week!
-Luke

lol, I felt the same when I read it.