PDA

View Full Version : fry are trying to swim!!

haile161
09-09-2015, 02:57 PM
fries are trying to swim but the parents collect and blow them back to the cone. what should i do???

goclassv
09-09-2015, 03:20 PM
That is what mine were doing last night. By the time I woke up this morning, the fry were all attached. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure you should leave some lights on in the room overnight so that when they start looking for the parents, they can find them.

haile161
09-09-2015, 03:32 PM
should i lower water level to make the fries easier to attach the parents. can i do w/c at this stage b/c its very dirty?

dragon1974
09-09-2015, 03:52 PM
Yes WC as normal

John_Nicholson
09-09-2015, 05:43 PM
First the plural of fry is fry. Fries are what you get with your hamburger. Second it is completely normal for parents to do that.

-john

MadMatt
09-09-2015, 09:03 PM
First the plural of fry is fry. Fries are what you get with your hamburger. Second it is completely normal for parents to do that.

-john

Lmao!!!

nc0gnet0
09-10-2015, 12:15 AM

-john

Lmao, now go shoot yourself some deers would ya?

haile161
09-10-2015, 08:24 AM
alot of fries stay at different corner from their parents. some attached. what could i do???

John_Nicholson
09-10-2015, 09:01 AM
What strain are the parents? Are the parents turning dark? If they are a PB strain that cannot turn dark often all you need to do is to leave the light off over the tank for a couple of days. Indirect light is plenty.

-john

haile161
09-10-2015, 05:12 PM
mom is pigeon checkerboard, and dad is fiamma rossa. i just swith to rhe blue light. would it help the fries? how long do you think the fries can live w/o parents?

John_Nicholson
09-10-2015, 05:34 PM
Until you stop using the word fries I refuse to offer anymore help.

-john

MadMatt
09-10-2015, 05:39 PM
You should have cornered off the part of the tank where the breeding cone was so they can find the parents easier. How big is the tank? Even in my 20g tanks I partition off the tank and lower the water level so they find the parents easy.
If they free swim and they don't find the parents right away they will try to feed off something, they usually bond with whatever "that is", once this happens they will not find parents, they will live for another day or so but they will eventually die.
Good news is you have a proven pair, once this is over give it another go and better luck next time, Which will be in about ten days.
What you want to do is make sure they are able to find the pairs when it's time, when they first free swim the parents will continually spit them back on the cone, (this will take place over two-three days till the fry actually can feed off the parents). Once they are able to free swim and find the parents the tank needs to be so they can find them easy, nothing dark in the tank just the cone, fry and parents, usually I already have the tank partitioned off a day before they totally free swim.
Good luck mate!
Ps: I just wanted to say you are being helped by some of the best breeders on SD, Rick and John and other have helped me out emensly, these guys are amazing at there craft and really know their stuff.

mom is pigeon checkerboard, and dad is fiamma rossa. i just swith to rhe blue light. would it help the fries? how long do you think the fries can live w/o parents?

MadMatt
09-10-2015, 05:41 PM
until you stop using the word fries i refuse to offer anymore help.

-john

lol!!!!

MadMatt
09-10-2015, 05:46 PM
This goes for all of us here!!!!
No more word "fries"!!!
Brother, it's "FRY", like "grass", you don't say "grasses" do you???...lol!
John is right, stop using that word, we are not at Burger King (heart attack specials, aka burger barf)
I am with John on this one, it's "fry" (for one or many).

Until you stop using the word fries I refuse to offer anymore help.

-john

rickztahone
09-10-2015, 05:49 PM
This goes for all of us here!!!!
No more word "fries"!!!
Brother, it's "FRY", like "grass", you don't say "grasses" do you???...lol!
John is right, stop using that word, we are not at Burger King (heart attack specials, aka burger barf)
I am with John on this one, it's "fry" (for one or many).

"Grasses, or more technically graminoids, are monocotyledonous, usually herbaceous plants with narrow leaves growing from the base. They include the "true grasses", of the family Poaceae (also called Gramineae), as well as the sedges (Cyperaceae) and the rushes (Juncaceae). The true grasses include cereals, bamboo and the grasses of lawns (turf) and grassland. Sedges include many wild marsh and grassland plants, and some cultivated ones such as water chestnut (Eleocharis dulcis) and papyrus sedge (Cyperus papyrus).

Uses for graminoids include food (as grain, sprouted grain, shoots or rhizomes), drink (beer, whisky, vodka), pasture for livestock, thatch, paper, fuel, clothing, insulation, construction, sports turf, basket weaving and many others."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grass

I think fish vs. fishes would have been a better example? ;)

MadMatt
09-10-2015, 05:51 PM
I have to say, this forum really makes my day sometimes!....lol

rickztahone
09-10-2015, 05:51 PM
I have to say, this forum really makes my day sometimes!....lol

yup :)

I live on the wildside on this here forum

:mods:

MadMatt
09-10-2015, 05:55 PM
LMFAO!
You guys are great!
Yes "fish's" and my wife being Chinese and speaking several languages, sometimes tells me she cut the "grass's"...lol
But we all know it's cut the "grass", which is what was referring too Rick..lol
But you got me good on that one!
:)

"Grasses, or more technically graminoids, are monocotyledonous, usually herbaceous plants with narrow leaves growing from the base. They include the "true grasses", of the family Poaceae (also called Gramineae), as well as the sedges (Cyperaceae) and the rushes (Juncaceae). The true grasses include cereals, bamboo and the grasses of lawns (turf) and grassland. Sedges include many wild marsh and grassland plants, and some cultivated ones such as water chestnut (Eleocharis dulcis) and papyrus sedge (Cyperus papyrus).

Uses for graminoids include food (as grain, sprouted grain, shoots or rhizomes), drink (beer, whisky, vodka), pasture for livestock, thatch, paper, fuel, clothing, insulation, construction, sports turf, basket weaving and many others."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grass

I think fish vs. fishes would have been a better example? ;)

warblad79
09-10-2015, 06:25 PM
Even the title of the thread is very funny. If you're a breeder I'm sure you what I mean.

MadMatt
09-10-2015, 06:49 PM
Best apologize for the "fries" statement and John will keep helping.

Even the title of the thread is very funny. If you're a breeder I'm sure you what I mean.

Driftwood Mike
09-10-2015, 09:17 PM
I can't stop laughing. Thanks guys, I needed this thread. Maybe time for a new forum "Simply Grammar"?

MadMatt
09-10-2015, 09:28 PM
Lol!
Hey John I guess he gets it.

I can't stop laughing. Thanks guys, I needed this thread. Maybe time for a new forum "Simply Grammar"?

haile161
09-11-2015, 01:10 AM
thanks for fixing my grammar :)! i thought the way i call the fry is they have more than one. arggh!
can you help my fish? new update, most fry are attaching their parents but some are still swimming ard the tank.

John_Nicholson
09-11-2015, 08:12 AM
Hard to say but it sounds like it is going fairly normal for a new pair. If the majority of the fry are attaching to the parents then I would suggest just letting it go as is.

Good luck.

-john