PDA

View Full Version : Ph Swing

mr limpet
09-10-2015, 06:16 PM
I have a pair of mated Discus(checkerboard pigeon) in my 90 gallon tank all by themselves.I change 50 per cent of the tank water every 3 days,sometimes every other day.Ph in my tank is 6.8,Nitrates 0.5 ppm.Temp.84 degrees.I don't age my water when I change it.It goes right from the tap to the tank with Prime using a Python.When I test my tap water its 6.8 but if I test it again,after leaving it in a cup for 24 hours it's 7.6.I've had the pair a little over 2 weeks,and they have laid eggs 1 time already.Eggs were eaten.They are a young pair,5 to 6 inches.They hang around one corner of the tank a lot.Dont really see them eat when I feed them,but later I see them grazing on the bottom of the tank and eating then.My question is will they eventually start swimming all over the tank(maybe they are still getting used to their surroundings)?Other question is should I be concerned about that Ph swing I noticed?

MadMatt
09-10-2015, 08:33 PM
6.8 to 7.6 that's a 0.8 swing if they where in 100% change, however your changing 50%, and that makes it 50% less of that swing, 0.4ph swing in a 90g over 24hrs.
How do they act? I would think they should be ok, however the reaction of your fish are a good sign something may be bothering them, but honestly don't think a swing that little would impact them much if at all.
Do you know how you water swings?
Get a digital ph meter and test the water every hr and record how it swings, it's probably a lot different then you think.
How did you measure your ph?

I have a pair of mated Discus(checkerboard pigeon) in my 90 gallon tank all by themselves.I change 50 per cent of the tank water every 3 days,sometimes every other day.Ph in my tank is 6.8,Nitrates 0.5 ppm.Temp.84 degrees.I don't age my water when I change it.It goes right from the tap to the tank with Prime using a Python.When I test my tap water its 6.8 but if I test it again,after leaving it in a cup for 24 hours it's 7.6.I've had the pair a little over 2 weeks,and they have laid eggs 1 time already.Eggs were eaten.They are a young pair,5 to 6 inches.They hang around one corner of the tank a lot.Dont really see them eat when I feed them,but later I see them grazing on the bottom of the tank and eating then.My question is will they eventually start swimming all over the tank(maybe they are still getting used to their surroundings)?Other question is should I be concerned about that Ph swing I noticed?

mr limpet
09-10-2015, 09:01 PM
They don't act any different after water changes.I use that API test kit.3 drops in a vial.The tank is in a high traffic area.People walk past it all the time.Here's a picture of them.89752

MadMatt
09-10-2015, 09:39 PM
Very nice discus.
Get a digital ph gage, there only $15 on eBay. If the fish aren't stressed I wouldn't worry about it.
Mine swings from 7.75to 8.27 and nothing happens either, I have a filter system so I don't even use a dechlorinator. I sometimes drip water change all night as well and other times I do large WC and still nothing bothers them either.
I have over 70 discus and 6 tank hatchery with 150 plus growing fry and young juveniles, none of them show signs of stress.

They don't act any different after water changes.I use that API test kit.3 drops in a vial.The tank is in a high traffic area.People walk past it all the time.Here's a picture of them.89752

mr limpet
09-11-2015, 07:48 AM
Thanks MadMat. I've since removed the 2 large rocks leaning in the picture and put in a breeding cone. Last night it looked like they were cleaning it already.

MadMatt
09-11-2015, 07:51 AM
It almost looks like slate to me, slate can push your ph up. Best to go bare bottom and a nice cone. These fish are amazing and should always be the focal point IMO.
Happy breeding!
:)

Thanks MadMat. I've since removed the 2 large rocks leaning in the picture and put in a breeding cone. Last night it looked like they were cleaning it already.

Second Hand Pat
09-11-2015, 08:24 AM
It almost looks like slate to me, slate can push your ph up. Best to go bare bottom and a nice cone. These fish are amazing and should always be the focal point IMO.
Happy breeding!

I do not think slate effects ph. It has been used for years in freshwater aquatic for years as a mounting weight for driftwood and spawning surface for fish like angels. If in doubt do the vinegar test, drop some vinegar on it and see if reacts with the acid and fizzes.
Pat

mr limpet
09-11-2015, 09:38 AM
I did notice their peppering has increased. I guess it's because of the blue background and 1/2 inch of black gravel I have?

Second Hand Pat
09-11-2015, 10:04 AM
Replacing the black gravel with white sand would help with the peppering :)
Pat

MadMatt
09-11-2015, 11:59 AM
Slate itself doesn't push the PH up, however the cracks in the slate sometimes tend to leach minerals, this will push the PH up.

I do not think slate effects ph. It has been used for years in freshwater aquatic for years as a mounting weight for driftwood and spawning surface for fish like angels. If in doubt do the vinegar test, drop some vinegar on it and see if reacts with the acid and fizzes.
Pat

mr limpet
09-11-2015, 12:07 PM
Took slate out. Put in breeding cone. Not crazy how it looks in a display tank,but it's ok. I guess I also have to put up with the peppering. I like the black gravel. Peppering is really not that bad either. I read somewhere that peppering is really like dark lines some Discus get. Don't know how true that is.

rickztahone
09-11-2015, 07:03 PM
Took slate out. Put in breeding cone. Not crazy how it looks in a display tank,but it's ok. I guess I also have to put up with the peppering. I like the black gravel. Peppering is really not that bad either. I read somewhere that peppering is really like dark lines some Discus get. Don't know how true that is.

That is correct. PB's are a mutation and they do not show stress bars, rather, their peppering are a form of showing bars.

MadMatt
09-12-2015, 12:49 AM
Barb makes great cones, I ordered three from her and I love them.
Prices are super reasonable too.
She ships them out right to your home.
I really love the look of breeding comes anyways.