PDA

View Full Version : Blood Worms and Constipation

Fishquake
09-12-2015, 04:28 PM
I have recently been advised that feeding bloodworms to my discus my in fact increase the possibility of constipation. Can the exoskeleton of the bloodworms can get stuck in the intestines?

Altum Nut
09-12-2015, 04:47 PM
It is very possible as bloodworms are actually insect larvae. Although I have never heard this happen to anyone I know it can if someone feeds bloodworms exclusively.
I see no nutritional value in them so that is why I never do. You will hear from time to time that people only feed them to picky eaters.

...Ralph

Bill63SG
09-12-2015, 06:21 PM
Approximate Analysis: Protein - 58%, Fat - 5%, Fiber - 2%, Moisture - 4%. That's the break down for freeze dried,actually pretty good nutritional protein,the mis-conception comes with feeding frozen where you are purchasing a lot of water weight with the product.

MadMatt
09-12-2015, 09:03 PM
I never feed mine since I had a constipatation problem as well. From there you can develop a intestinal bacterial infection, then your on your way to having a really big problem.
Heck with blood worms, feed black worms and kens immune booster, etc... But to heck with the blood worms!
I curse them every time I see a post like this, I've been down this road a few times now and will never feed them blood worms ever again!. Over the last year I haven't fed them any BW and zero problems with constipation.

Altum Nut
09-12-2015, 10:14 PM
Approximate Analysis: Protein - 58%, Fat - 5%, Fiber - 2%, Moisture - 4%. That's the break down for freeze dried,actually pretty good nutritional protein,the mis-conception comes with feeding frozen where you are purchasing a lot of water weight with the product.

Agreed Bill with the freeze dried form...

Here it is in frozen form :-
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min) 8.3%
Crude Fat (min) 1.2%
Crude Fiber (max) 3.9%
Moisture (max) 81.7%

I remember Hans saying some time back... Feeding your Discus only blood worms, is like you eating white bread, day in day out, you will survive but is it good enough?????

...Ralph

Lighthouse7
09-12-2015, 10:25 PM
With so much other superior options, why give them blood worms, which in opinion seem to always lead to some kind of digestion problem.- Lighthouse

Fishquake
09-12-2015, 11:30 PM
Limited value, not worth the risk.

Bill63SG
09-13-2015, 02:22 PM
I will have to disagree politely with your opinions of bloodworms,especially the superior options,the are atleast equal.I have been feeding them for years along with Al's blackworms,and the only draw back I have found is if you are allergic to them,and I am not.

Ryan
09-14-2015, 04:15 AM
I have fed them for years too and my only issue is that I'm allergic. You can grow large, beautiful discus on bloodworms and a staple flake/pellet. I have done it many times. I only use Hikari brand because the fish seem to like those best.

I'd be curious to see a direct nutritional comparison between non-freeze-dried blackworms and bloodworms to see how they stack up without the water removed.

pitdogg2
09-14-2015, 05:43 PM
you would think the roughage from the exoskeleton would be no different than humans, You know where you eat too much roughage and get blocked up.....hence you're feeding too much too often. Blackworms on the other hand more in line with earthworms where too much and you get fatty organs not unlike life where too much candy pop and other stuff will do the same....

my .02

DISCUS STU
09-17-2015, 03:53 PM
Not in my experience, usually the constipation seems to be from feeding too lower quality flake foods or possibly not removing enough fat from my beef heart recipe.

Some strains seem to be more prone than others. Blue Diamonds seem more prone to constipation than others just like some lines of dogs have their own unique issues.

Keith024
01-15-2017, 05:45 PM
So I wonder what is the best food to feed your discus. I am currently feeding only beefheart which I think may not be enough variety. What else do you guys suggest?

Bill63SG
01-16-2017, 02:42 PM
If you make your own,or buy from a reputable source,the very nature of beefheart is a combination of different foods.It should be variety enough.Many on here have raised discus on nothing but beefheart.You could supplement with a good flake.

DISCUS STU
01-17-2017, 09:26 AM
Is there any evidence to support the idea that frozen blood worms cause constipation? I usually use it as part of a treatment regimen when my Discus stop eating and have to go the hospital tank.

Frozen Blood Worms are normally the last food Discus will eat before they stop eating and the first food they'll eat when they start eating again.

I had either read, many years ago, or assumed that the exoskeletons would be a source of roughage in the diet and healthy for their digestion. I rarely feed FDBW, mostly as a treat, or as I just did for my BD that is starting to eat again after treatment for a fat blockage in it's intestines. It is readily eating the FDBW as a first food after and during treatment with Epsom salt and Kanaycin Sulfate whereas there is nothing else in the early stages after an eating issue that they normally will eat.