PDA

View Full Version : [URGENT] Discus Pair Fighting Each Other

Kelvin
09-12-2015, 06:27 PM
Hello,
Currently I have a pair in a 40 gallon with approximately 100 free swimming fry. They are about 2 days old but the problem is the father is constantly attacking the mother. The mother is quite beat at this time. The pair did not fight during the wriggler and egg stage. Should I separate the pair to hopefully save these fry?

Other info:
Nitrates: >5 ppm
Nitrite & Ammonia: Undetectable
PH: 6.8

Thanks!

warblad79
09-12-2015, 06:35 PM
Take the mom out and leave the dad with the fry. Most dad are better when it comes to parenting and very protective as well.

Kelvin
09-12-2015, 09:07 PM
Alright thanks for the advice! Going to move the Mom into another tank. Thanks again!

Kelvin
09-12-2015, 09:31 PM
I have another question.
There is a group of fry around ~15 of them just swimming at a corner. Is there a way for those fry to attach to the parent? The pair is a dark angel pair.

warblad79
09-13-2015, 12:46 AM
Lower the water volume, almost same height as the dad. Make sure remove the sponge filter because fry is attracted to dark object. Just put air stone with minimal air pressure. Its recommended to use smaller tank with white paint background so they don't get lost.

John_Nicholson
09-13-2015, 08:51 AM
While the above advise is sound...the male can raise the fry without issue here is the concern. If you start taking the male out now you will probably have to everytime from here on out. If you ever hope to have both parents raise a spawn together you are just going to have to let them work it out at some point.

-john

Kelvin
09-13-2015, 12:56 PM
Thanks guys for the advice!