PDA

View Full Version : bulkhead help

darxvad
09-19-2015, 10:36 PM
I've placed an order for bulkheads before I planned my fishroom several months ago. At that time I had a different plan and ordered just 1" bulkhead slipxslip and now the return date has long passed.

I will be upgrading my aquariums in the following years, and want to use threaded elbow barbs. I bought the slip for higher water flow but the flow is not a concern anymore. Will I need to order the elbow barb from the same vendor I purchased my bulkhead from.

Also is there a way to setup a slipxslip fitting so that I will still have the ability to completely remove the bulkhead off the aquarium while still being able to reuse the bulkhead? This is the only reason I am wanting to go with the threadxslip bulkhead, but I may be overlooking an easy solution

Thanks for your help

DJW
09-19-2015, 11:26 PM
My MarineDepot bulkheads are compatible with the standard plumbing parts available at most hardware stores. Slip means glue, so if you take a bulkhead to the hardware store to match parts, you can go slip to thread for the threaded barbs. You can get barbs there as well. The only difference with the slip type is that when you later remove the bulkhead you will have another 2 inches or so of PVC where it transitions from glue to thread. I hope I have understood your question right.

darxvad
09-20-2015, 09:52 AM
That's brilliant, I dont know why I didn't think of just buying a slipxthread fitting. Thank you

afriend
09-20-2015, 06:03 PM
I've placed an order for bulkheads before I planned my fishroom several months ago. At that time I had a different plan and ordered just 1" bulkhead slipxslip and now the return date has long passed.

I will be upgrading my aquariums in the following years, and want to use threaded elbow barbs. I bought the slip for higher water flow but the flow is not a concern anymore. Will I need to order the elbow barb from the same vendor I purchased my bulkhead from.

Also is there a way to setup a slipxslip fitting so that I will still have the ability to completely remove the bulkhead off the aquarium while still being able to reuse the bulkhead? This is the only reason I am wanting to go with the threadxslip bulkhead, but I may be overlooking an easy solution

Thanks for your help

darxvad,

Not sure if you understand the function of the different types of fittings. As was previously stated, a slip fitting requires glue. All slip fittings are female type. A barb fitting connects to a hose, usually with a hose clamp to keep it from leaking. All barb fittings are male. A threaded fitting can be either female (FNPT for female national pipe thread) or male (MNPT for male national pipe thread.) Adapter fittings transition from one to another, for example slip to FNPT would be a straight adapter with a female slip on one end and a female thread on the other. Elbows are also used as adapter fittings.

The best type of bulkhead fitting to use is threaded x threaded so that they can be removed and reused on both sides. The problem that you may encounter with a slip fitting on the side of a bulkhead that contains the nut, is that the nut might not fit over the fitting that you have glued into it when it is time to remove it. What you want is a straight adapter with PVC pipe on one end and MNPT on the other. I have never seen such an adapter for sale, but you can easily make yourself one. Just purchase a short piece of PVC pipe threaded on both ends (called a nipple) and cut it into two pieces. Then glue this into the bulkhead slip and you will end up with a MNPT thread that can attach to a threaded elbow.

All PVC parts are standard and can be interchanged among different suppliers.

I always build my plumbing so that I can take it apart for future changes or repairs. This includes the use of lots of threaded PVC valves and threaded PVC unions.

Hope this helps you.

Paul

darxvad
09-21-2015, 04:40 PM
Thanks Paul,

That's cheaper then buying several fittings.

I bought the slipxslip originally as I was planning on using glue to make sure there will be absolutely no chance of any leaks. But as you pointed out I enjoy the advantages of taking it apart for future changes or repairs. Unfortunately I'm stuck with 50 unreturnable slipxslip bulkheads. But your suggestion will work perfectly. Thanks!