PDA

View Full Version : Discus not eating one has turned dark

Mgus
09-20-2015, 09:10 AM
Default Disease Questionnaire - please complete

Please complete thus questionnaire if your fish are sick (copy and paste). The more details you can provide, the better we are able to diagnose and help you treat your sick fish.

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
Out of ten discus only a couple are eating and eating very little. They are shaking and twitching once and a while.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Not eating twitching fins I saw a fish with a long stringy poop and what looked like white poop on the bottom
3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Been treating with praxis for past two days

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

125 10 discus 2 Angels 25 tetras
5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

2 50% with small changes and bottom vacuum in between
6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Been running 9 months Sand substrate 1/2"-2"
7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
Yes usually 24 hours no ph swing

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____82-84

- ph _____7.5

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____20

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ___100%_

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
nothing added the past couple months. I bought Frozen mysis shrimp last week for the first time and the fish wouldn't go near it. Also last week when the fish started showing symptoms I did a large water change and noticed the water was murky and whitish. My tap water has since cleared and I did a couple 65% wcs. Going to do a 90% today any ideas and advice would be greatly apreciated

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Mgus
09-22-2015, 09:58 AM
http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah120/gustafsonlandscape/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-02/A03C970C-0353-486D-A76A-232EB86C19D8_zps0kc1jdym.jpg (http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/gustafsonlandscape/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-02/A03C970C-0353-486D-A76A-232EB86C19D8_zps0kc1jdym.jpg.html)

This fish appears bloated now and has white poop. All fish in the tank are not eating or eating very little. I've been treating with praziquantel for three days. I thought the white poop meant intestinal parisites. Could I be wrong. Could this be a bacterial infection? They are also twitching/ shaking their pelvic fins a lot.

Mgus
09-22-2015, 08:05 PM
Only a couple fish picking at food now. They are must hanging towards the back of the tank. The mercurys peppering is turning dark and fish looks bloated. The other fish in the tanks colors are normal but seem lethargic and they all are shaking their vent fun once in a while and shaking/shivering their other fund sometimes. Anyone have any idea what's going on here? They seem to be getting worse

rickztahone
09-23-2015, 12:48 AM
If you suspect bloat then an Epsom bath is in order. Easy to dose and fast results.

Mgus
09-23-2015, 06:45 AM
The one fish looks bloated but none of the fish are really eating now. I was thinking of dosing the whole tank with salt. If I do that should I use Epsom or regular salt? I was reading through the other not eating thread and I've seen similar white tubing on the bottom that look like the intestinal lining. Not to sure what's going on havent changed anything in a couple months this seemed to just happen out of the blue

rickztahone
09-23-2015, 09:04 PM
The one fish looks bloated but none of the fish are really eating now. I was thinking of dosing the whole tank with salt. If I do that should I use Epsom or regular salt? I was reading through the other not eating thread and I've seen similar white tubing on the bottom that look like the intestinal lining. Not to sure what's going on havent changed anything in a couple months this seemed to just happen out of the blue

If you suspect bloat, you want to use epsom salt first. If you want medication advice, I will let others chime in as I really don't like recommending meds unless it is absolutely necessary. Increasing water changes and percentages usually helps clear most problems.

Eddie
09-27-2015, 04:31 AM
What kinds of foods do you feed?

Mgus
09-27-2015, 09:51 AM
Fdbw frozen bloodworms brine shrimp beef heart and right before they got sick I tried Frozen mysis shrimp

rickztahone
09-27-2015, 12:20 PM
Fdbw frozen bloodworms brine shrimp beef heart and right before they got sick I tried Frozen mysis shrimp

could it possibly been a bad batch of mysis shrimp?

Mgus
09-27-2015, 12:32 PM
That is what I'm thinking now because it happened out of the blue right after I tried the mysis shrimp. I'm going to do a big water change and run carbon then just keep up with the water changes hopefully things improve

rickztahone
09-27-2015, 12:35 PM
That is what I'm thinking now because it happened out of the blue right after I tried the mysis shrimp. I'm going to do a big water change and run carbon then just keep up with the water changes hopefully things improve

yes, do these things and keep us updated. Keep a very close eye on them.

Mgus
09-28-2015, 08:20 PM
Well things seem to be looking worse my leopard is very dark and has clamped fins. My next day off I'm going to pull all the plants and dither fish and put them in my 37. In the mean time I'll be changing lots of water. None of the discus are eating now. The other fish in the tank seem fine

Eddie
09-28-2015, 08:59 PM
Can we get some photos?

If the water is legit and the other fish are fine, dark with clamped fins could be an indication of parasites.

Mgus
09-28-2015, 09:18 PM
Can we get some photos?

If the water is legit and the other fish are fine, dark with clamped fins could be an indication of parasites.

I treated with praziquantel with no effect. I have seen whit poop in the tank I'll put up some pics tomorrow.

Mgus
10-01-2015, 02:06 PM
I removed all of the plants dither fish and half the substrate. A second fish has become bloated I just finished giving it an Epsom salt bath. I am thinking this may be a bacterial problem. Still seeing a lot of whit poop on the bottom. Would my next option be furan 2. Did a 95% change last night their colors are much better but still not eating. The tank now has only the ten discus and 2 small plecos

Eddie
10-01-2015, 03:25 PM
For internal bacteria infection, I'd run a course of kanamycin.

Mgus
10-01-2015, 03:37 PM
I'm not familiar with kanamycin. Can the be pick up at lfs or ordered online?

Eddie
10-01-2015, 08:13 PM
I'm not familiar with kanamycin. Can the be pick up at lfs or ordered online?

Here's a link http://www.jehmco.com/html/medications.html

Mgus
10-02-2015, 06:48 AM
Thanks eddie

Mgus
10-02-2015, 01:35 PM
This guys not looking to good
http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah120/gustafsonlandscape/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-02/61CE2C7A-4B81-4AD0-B664-FF9ECEF92358_zpsonviffop.jpg (http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/gustafsonlandscape/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-02/61CE2C7A-4B81-4AD0-B664-FF9ECEF92358_zpsonviffop.jpg.html)

Eddie
10-02-2015, 09:49 PM
Are the fish still not eating? Have you tried frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp?

Mgus
10-03-2015, 07:24 AM
Ya still not eating I've tried both. I'm gonna give them a few more days of big water changes. If they don't improve I'll try more meds. I'm still not sure if it's parisites or bacterial. I treated them with prazi but that didn't help.

Eddie
10-03-2015, 07:35 AM
Prazi is pretty limited. From the picture, the fish appears to have a possible internal issue. It's dark in color but the fins aren't clamped and there doesn't seem to be any other external indications.

Maybe a round of Metro if things don't improve.

Mgus
10-04-2015, 04:40 PM
Can I treat with kanamycin at the same time as metro or prazi. I just ordered the kanamycin. Going to order metro tomorrow from jemcho

Eddie
10-05-2015, 03:59 AM
You can use metro and kanamycin together. You mentioned that you used prazi already. What makes you want to use it again?

Also, Prazi can make fish go off food sometimes so if it's been relatively soon since you've treated, give it time.

Mgus
10-05-2015, 07:42 AM
I Should be getting the kanamycin tomorrow. Ordering the metro today.

Mgus
10-08-2015, 08:37 AM
Woke up to 3 dead fish including my two favorites. Major bummer.

Eddie
10-08-2015, 09:15 AM
Woke up to 3 dead fish including my two favorites. Major bummer.

Damn, that's definitely not a good thing. Just overnight, no symptoms?

Mgus
10-08-2015, 09:33 AM
One of them was bloated last night I just got the metro in the mail this am going to do a big water change and treat with metro in a few hours. Hopefully the metro does the trick. I've been treating with kanamycin for two days now.

Eddie
10-08-2015, 10:02 AM
You are treating the main tank with kanamycin?

Mgus
10-08-2015, 02:55 PM
You are treating the main tank with kanamycin?

Yes I'm treating the whole main tank all the fish are sick

Eddie
10-08-2015, 09:53 PM
Yes I'm treating the whole main tank all the fish are sick

Kanamycin kills nitrifying bacteria so your ammonia and nitrite levels are probably screaming.

Antibiotic treatment should be accomplished in a hospital tank.

rickztahone
10-08-2015, 10:23 PM
Kanamycin kills nitrifying bacteria so your ammonia and nitrite levels are probably screaming.

Antibiotic treatment should be accomplished in a hospital tank.

Very true. When treating in a main tank, things start getting really bad, really quick. A QT tank with meds and a lot of water changes is your regular medication protocol.

Mgus
10-09-2015, 08:11 AM
I'll check my parameters when I get home tonight. Unfortunately I don't have a big enough tank to use as a hospital tank for all my fish

Eddie
10-09-2015, 11:11 AM
Then take out the filtration. A total die off will nuke your water parameters and be toxic to the fish.

Mgus
10-09-2015, 07:45 PM
I checked the parameters zero ammonia 10-20 nitrate. Don't have a nitrite kit. On a plus note one of the angels in the tank was picking at food. Hopefully things are turning around.

Eddie
10-10-2015, 01:07 AM
Regardless of the readings, kanamycin killed your nitrifying bacteria. You will have to cycle your filters from scratch. I would clean everything really well once the treatment is complete.