PDA

View Full Version : Can I rig up an aqueon water changer cheaply?

jeepdad
09-26-2015, 06:54 PM
Is it possible to buy just the faucet adapter and then buy the hose at home depot seperately? If so can you tell me what is the hose diameter I'd need? This is for the Aqueon water changer.

Bill63SG
09-26-2015, 07:27 PM
I know there videos on youtube to do it.Try uder made water changer or python.

monching
09-26-2015, 08:21 PM
It's possible, you can buy parts by parts on ebay.

lksdrinker
09-29-2015, 02:47 PM
Waterbed filler and a standard garden hose are all you need.

http://www.amazon.com/Waterbed-FILL-DRAIN-KIT-Blue-Magic/dp/B0084FFL7A

rickztahone
09-29-2015, 03:05 PM
Waterbed filler and a standard garden hose are all you need.

http://www.amazon.com/Waterbed-FILL-DRAIN-KIT-Blue-Magic/dp/B0084FFL7A

You my friend get points for LINK OF THE WEEK! :). That is super cheap to an otherwise more expensive alternative. Great find.

Edit: I will add, if you are going to use a regular garden hose, please consider buying a drinking water hose. I bought mine off Amazon and it was super cheap for a 25ft one and I couldn't be happier:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ME11FS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

bluelagoon
09-30-2015, 10:36 AM
Water bed gadgets work well and are usually a lot cheaper than pet store pythons.

jeepdad
09-30-2015, 12:17 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm known for rigging and halfassing any project, but I bit the bullet and ordered the Python no spill. I was gonna get the Aqueon. but after reading reviews it seems like the Python might be better quality.

lksdrinker
09-30-2015, 01:43 PM
You my friend get points for LINK OF THE WEEK! :). That is super cheap to an otherwise more expensive alternative. Great find.

Edit: I will add, if you are going to use a regular garden hose, please consider buying a drinking water hose. I bought mine off Amazon and it was super cheap for a 25ft one and I couldn't be happier:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ME11FS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

lol Thanks! Too bad the OP didn't choose this as an option. Its really the exact same thing as the python; its just blue and does not have the python name (and you have to source your own hose and connections if needed/wanted; but chances are a lot of people have stuff like this at home already). As far as the hoses go; there are garden hoses marketed for RV use which note they are safe for potable water. I've honestly never used anything other than standard garden hose though.

rickztahone
09-30-2015, 07:47 PM
lol Thanks! Too bad the OP didn't choose this as an option. Its really the exact same thing as the python; its just blue and does not have the python name (and you have to source your own hose and connections if needed/wanted; but chances are a lot of people have stuff like this at home already). As far as the hoses go; there are garden hoses marketed for RV use which note they are safe for potable water. I've honestly never used anything other than standard garden hose though.

I've used both, and honestly, at $10 for the hose, I really couldn't complain. I would have bought what you linked to in a heart beat if I still did my water changes that way. I am all about automation now though and it takes me roughly 10-15 minutes to do a 60% WC on a 75g.

lksdrinker
10-01-2015, 12:58 PM
I've used both, and honestly, at $10 for the hose, I really couldn't complain. I would have bought what you linked to in a heart beat if I still did my water changes that way. I am all about automation now though and it takes me roughly 10-15 minutes to do a 60% WC on a 75g.

How are your water changes automated? I've got 15 tanks in my fishroom and am contemplating what I'm going to do in the future to simplify things a bit more. None of my tanks are drilled so I'm thinking of trying some sort drip system with an overflow of sorts. Still undecided.

rickztahone
10-01-2015, 01:16 PM
How are your water changes automated? I've got 15 tanks in my fishroom and am contemplating what I'm going to do in the future to simplify things a bit more. None of my tanks are drilled so I'm thinking of trying some sort drip system with an overflow of sorts. Still undecided.

sorry, automated was the wrong word. I have things plummed up so that it makes wc's easier. I haven't lifted a bucket in many years, and don't plan to ever again :)

lksdrinker
10-06-2015, 11:44 AM
sorry, automated was the wrong word. I have things plummed up so that it makes wc's easier. I haven't lifted a bucket in many years, and don't plan to ever again :)

Gotcha. I'm done lifting buckets too; but am still looking to make the process a bit easier!