PDA

View Full Version : New discus aquarium

pete123
09-30-2015, 01:46 PM
A new set-up: RO+tap water (pH 6.8), temperature 28C (82F) in 25 gallon tank. Bare bottom. Added drift wood with plants (Anubia, Sword). Cannister filter - mechanical + biological. Food - Hikari bloodworms (twice a day). Looking to add Cobalt Hans Discus pallets later to (3x a day). No beef heart as not looking to do daily water change. Will do weekly water change.

Just added three 4" discus.

Any opinion if I should add more discus. Thanks.

jmf3460
09-30-2015, 02:03 PM
I don't know what to say here Pete, I just searched your name and you have 3 other threads going right now, regarding moving LSS to a breeding tank that is possibly uncycled, a 30 gallon tank and now a 25 gallon tank. I am confused as you have been a member since 2008 that you would have done much more research and saw that neither a 25 nor 30 gallon tank is suitable for any sized discus. If this is a real thread and not a joke, you need to do much much more reading in the beginners section. im afraid your "Breeders" tank is not cycled and if you thought adding water from the main tank would give you an instant cycled tank then you shouldn't be keeping discus. My suggestion is to get a 75 gal tank and start completely over with all fish in the main tank, daily if not twice daily water changes until they all become healthy. use whatever biomedia (if any) from all your other tanks to try and help establish a cycle in this new tank. do bare bottom and get rid of the 25 and 30 gal or turn them into a tetra tank.

pete123
09-30-2015, 02:54 PM
Not a joke. Left discus hobby for a while.

Now back into hobby. And just set up a new tank. Have cycled for a month.

Lilly
09-30-2015, 06:38 PM
Hello Pete
Who makes a twenty five g ? Just curious..

IMO 4 fish in there I think you will need to do fin level WC every day with that many fish in there. Did you mean 55g?

pete123
10-01-2015, 01:46 PM
Lily, you r rite. I measured the tank 76x30x58cm ---> that should be about 35 US gallons.

Got three 4" discus in there. I think I need to do more WC if I want to keep five discus fishes.

Second Hand Pat
10-02-2015, 08:35 AM
Hi Pete, to successfully keep discus you really need a larger tank and best to add three more discus (after proper QT) for a group of six. I would suggest a 55 or even better a 75. Save the 35 for a possible future breeding pair :)

For the short term large daily WCs are a must in such a small tank.
Pat

tonytheboss1
10-11-2015, 08:49 PM
:bandana: JMPO but what you're doing right now is a recipe for failure. If at all possible, lets try this with a reasonable chance for success. (6) 4" discus in a cycled & adequately filtered 55g/75g tank w/ maybe the drift wood & nothing else. Regular 50% W/C's & quality feeding will aid in their becoming beautifully formed adults. After that you can add the aquascaping. YES there are those who have done it your way w/ moderate success but the odds are heavily against you. "T"