PDA

View Full Version : How to "clean" parents for breeding?

mmdiscus1
10-02-2015, 08:46 AM
Hi guys,
Some of You probably know my parents had wriglers, at week 4 they suddenly started dying. I have a thread going on in emergency section. The cause is still unknown, but it was suggested that maybe i should start with this pair again, and clean it beforehand to eliminate risk of fry getting diseases passed on to them once they are born.

So, how to "clean" a pair in breeding tank, before they have laid eggs? How to ensure no diseases are passed to newborns. What is the right way to prepare parents.

Pass on your experience to new breeder-wannabees and tell us how you do it.
Thanks!

MKD
10-02-2015, 11:26 AM
I m not sure how others do and I don't know your paid 's condition right now. For me, before i move them to breeding tank, i sterlize the tank to make sure nothing pass on from previous pair or fish. after i move them in, i do daily water and wipe down all sides. During in breeding tank, If i see something i treat that tank and make sure not pass on to other tanks. That's why its so important to QT all new fish. At least during QT, you can stop any disease entering into your system.

No one can tell you to treat without knowing the problem. I suggest keep your eyes on parents and give them clean water. Let see others jump in.

CliffsDiscus
10-02-2015, 02:08 PM
There is an article written in TFH Magazine, by Lo Wing Yat probably back in the late 1980's, he said that Discus are not disease free ,only when artifically raised but once mix with
the parental raised Discus they catch the same diseases.

Cliff

mmdiscus1
10-02-2015, 02:23 PM
Please note that breeding pair isnt new fish, these i have in community tank with other discus for aboit two years now.
More responses please, do you clean pairs before breeding, and if yes how.

alcastro
10-02-2015, 03:06 PM
You can try PP but you need to be precise with the formula, Rick (Mud) has a formula I think in water works in this Forum
Use at own risk, read as much as you can, that's what I use.
AL

dprais1
10-02-2015, 05:48 PM
I think PP is a great, but you must get a decent digital scale to measure accurately. I would not even think about using it without a decent scale.