PDA

View Full Version : Do frozen Blood Worms come back to life?

doc d
10-04-2015, 08:51 PM
I occasionally feed Frozen Blood Worms to the discus.

For years now I have been getting the worms pictured below appearing in the sink when i siphon the water from my rocks during water changes.

I have never had a problem and the fish enjoy eating them when one venture into open water.

Are these something I need to deal with?

Not pictured here, I also occasionally get living little shrimp - I suspect that they are brine that have also survived the deep freeze. Are they harming the tank?

DJW
10-04-2015, 11:55 PM
Do you have midges or "lake flies" in your part of the country? Maybe they are laying eggs in your tank.

pitdogg2
10-05-2015, 09:32 AM
they do not come back to life..........

DISCUS STU
10-05-2015, 10:18 AM
Unless they're zombie living dead blood worms; no the dead blood worms do not come back to life. (lol). Just kidding, hope you're doing well in your Discus keeping otherwise.

doc d
10-05-2015, 10:32 AM
Nemo .... We do live at Lake St Clair in MI and get a couple of weeks of what we call "june Bugs". They look like meal worms with wings. I would be surprised if any reached the tank to lay eggs - although nothing is impossible.

I am chuckling about the zombie reference...... My question was serious - thinking about cryo freezing and all (perhaps I watch too much sci-fi). I am glad to learn that they do not come back to life.

With this new found understanding I must to ask if I need to worry about these worms and / or take action to get them gone? If I do need to kill them, what do i need to do? Also, if anyone knows what they are I would appreciate an identification.

As i said, they have no apparent negative impact to the thank or fish (at lease as far as my level of experience can determine).

Thanks

brewmaster15
10-05-2015, 12:26 PM
Is the tank planted and substrate?.

al

tonytheboss1
10-05-2015, 12:38 PM
:bandana: Nope. Dead is dead frozen or freeze dried. "T"

jmf3460
10-05-2015, 01:07 PM
do they have triangular shaped heads on one end??

doc d
10-06-2015, 09:47 AM
OK - I have looked at one under a magnifying glass. They appear to me to be 1 inch long earth worms. I could see no triangle head.

The 150 gallon tank is planted (2 Amazon) Swords with a rock bottom. I also have drift wood and so real honest to goodness petrified wood in the tank too. The wood and rocks have been in the tank since it was set up 6 years ago and the plants have been there perhaps 1 year.

DJW
10-06-2015, 10:01 AM
There are only about a million species of worms...