PDA

View Full Version : Tiling Tank Walls?

Missing Score
10-06-2015, 09:25 PM
I think this might be a strange question and is more of a "what if" and not something I'm actively planning by any means. This isn't a planted tank or biotope topic, but I suppose it is a show tank topic! Considering there's a strong argument for bare grow out tanks, I've been wondering what on earth could be done to make them more visually appealing. I've always admired the Japanese koi ponds that use tile on the walls and bottoms. I've grabbed some pictures of image search to illustrate my point.

I suppose my question is, would this be possible on the scale of a tank? What about fish safe adhesive and grout? What about glass and acrylic and plywood for possible surfaces? Smooth tile surfaces probably wouldn't foster a lot of bacteria growth but what about the grout lines?

I know it's a bit of a silly prospect, but I really dig the way the tile in those koi ponds looks! lol

jdhuyvetter
10-06-2015, 09:51 PM
I've got tile in one tank and slate in another as background. Used silicone to adhere it to the glass. No grout lines. Pic is from my plant tank I am currently working on are here:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?120999-Solar-Powered-Plant-Tank-Build

Keith Perkins
10-06-2015, 09:59 PM
I've got tile in one tank and slate in another as background. Used silicone to adhere it to the glass. No grout lines. Pic is from my plant tank I am currently working on are here:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?120999-Solar-Powered-Plant-Tank-Build

Funny, pretty much what I was thinking when I read the OP. Silicone with ceramic tiles could be done. I'd never bother, but to each their own.

DJW
10-06-2015, 11:08 PM
Stained glass might also work as a background, or even as a floor. Not joined in the usual way though. You can get large sheets that have patterns and colors.

Eddie
10-07-2015, 03:14 PM
It would be nice for a show/display tank.

Missing Score
10-07-2015, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys! Good example Jeff, looks dino might! I think one day I might actually test it out on a small tank for fun. I've been reading around and most tiles are virtually inert. Pond people say that the tile cement and any grout you use would raise the PH but silicone would be no problem like you guys say for a tank. If I ever do it I'll post it here lol!