PDA

View Full Version : Breeders - what items do you use?

mmdiscus1
10-08-2015, 01:50 PM
Hi guys!

I am visiting USA this month, and would like to get your help to get the items you use during breeding. This might also help all other breeders who are just starting. Please post items and links if possible, where they could be bought.

Also ***please*** if anyone lives near Milwaukee,Wi or Chicago,IL - i would like to come by and see your fish ( not buying, just seeing), see how you breed, if its ok with you. I would really appreciate it.

Below are some of the things i would like to get:

1) bbs startup kit, or eggs, something i could take home and start hatching them for my new batch
2) i want to drill my breeding tank, where can i buy plastic bulk head/tube/pipe that you fit in glass, to drain water better
3) frozen food for wriglers

This what came to my mind ritght now, you could also post links to other useful stuff.

Thank you!

warblad79
10-08-2015, 07:24 PM
wriglers don't eat yet so you don't feed them. Feeding after 5 days of free swimming.

MD.David
10-12-2015, 08:31 PM
Baby brine shrimp (newly hatched) is what most feed (the discus fry) 5 days after free swimming.

Keith Perkins
10-12-2015, 08:51 PM
You might want to stop by Chicago Discus, they are a sponsor of the forum and you often see their banner ad at the top of the screen.

DonMD
10-13-2015, 05:09 AM
www.brineshrimpdirect.com has everything you need to start a brine shrimp hatchery. I use their simple base that you can connect an air line hose to, and screw in a 2-liter soda bottle. I assume the soda bottles in Asia have the same neck threads, but don't know for certain. I would get, at a minimum, two bases so that you can harvest the bbs every 12 hours. It usually takes 24 hours to grow them big enough to eat, so you'd have to alternate one hatchery with another every 12 hours. You might want to get 3 bases, in case one breaks. I've had the hose connector break on me in the past, admittedly after much use.

As for bulkhead fittings, you can get everything you need from jehmco.com. If I were you, I'd call John there and tell him what you're after, especially if any plumbing connectors you'll use are metric.

For the newly free-swimming fry, all they need to eat is the slime from their parents for the first week, then you can add bbs. As they grow, I've found that they will readily eat freeze dried black worms that have been ground in a coffee grinder, or even the cubes sliced very thin. I believe www.aquaticsuppliers.com will ship them internationally.

HTH. -Don

mmdiscus1
10-16-2015, 02:03 PM
You might want to stop by Chicago Discus, they are a sponsor of the forum and you often see their banner ad at the top of the screen.

Do you know their address and phone number please?

Keith Perkins
10-16-2015, 02:27 PM
Here's what's in there sponsor section that I quickly found.

phone is 312-622-0055 my e-mail is josie70@att.net

Didn't see an address but it's probably in here somewhere.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?252-ChicagoDiscus-com-(Josie-Christopher)-Chicago-Illinois

mmdiscus1
10-16-2015, 02:54 PM
Thanks!
I found their website too -- chicagodiscus.com

mmdiscus1
10-16-2015, 03:03 PM
I found these on Jehmco. What do you think is the best to use for breeding tank, I want an easy way of draining water:

http://www.jehmco.com/html/safety_siphon_aquarium_drain.html

mmdiscus1
10-16-2015, 05:36 PM
www.brineshrimpdirect.com has everything you need to start a brine shrimp hatchery. I use their simple base that you can connect an air line hose to, and screw in a 2-liter soda bottle. I assume the soda bottles in Asia have the same neck threads, but don't know for certain. I would get, at a minimum, two bases so that you can harvest the bbs every 12 hours. It usually takes 24 hours to grow them big enough to eat, so you'd have to alternate one hatchery with another every 12 hours. You might want to get 3 bases, in case one breaks. I've had the hose connector break on me in the past, admittedly after much use.

As for bulkhead fittings, you can get everything you need from jehmco.com. If I were you, I'd call John there and tell him what you're after, especially if any plumbing connectors you'll use are metric.

For the newly free-swimming fry, all they need to eat is the slime from their parents for the first week, then you can add bbs. As they grow, I've found that they will readily eat freeze dried black worms that have been ground in a coffee grinder, or even the cubes sliced very thin. I believe www.aquaticsuppliers.com will ship them internationally.

HTH. -Don

Could you please send me links to the bbs "bases" your referring. I went to their website, but all I saw was eggs. Help appreciated.

DonMD
10-16-2015, 06:17 PM
Could you please send me links to the bbs "bases" your referring. I went to their website, but all I saw was eggs. Help appreciated.

http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/c9/hatching-kit-p156.html

That's what I use. -Don

mmdiscus1
10-16-2015, 09:32 PM
So I need to get "Hatching Kit" and then buy eggs from them separately, correct?
And how many eggs (grams, ounces) are needed to raise a batch? They sell them in different sizes.

DonMD
10-17-2015, 09:43 AM
Yes, you'll need to buy eggs separately. I like the 8 oz. size, because it comes in a nice PET jar with a screw lid, easy to keep in the refrigerator. 8 oz. should be enough for many batches. But if you're thinking you'll be successful right away, you can buy more and keep them in the freezer (I think), certainly in the refrigerator. They last a long time.

mmdiscus1
10-17-2015, 09:52 PM
Yes, you'll need to buy eggs separately. I like the 8 oz. size, because it comes in a nice PET jar with a screw lid, easy to keep in the refrigerator. 8 oz. should be enough for many batches. But if you're thinking you'll be successful right away, you can buy more and keep them in the freezer (I think), certainly in the refrigerator. They last a long time.

ok, thanks!

mmdiscus1
10-24-2015, 02:18 PM

There is a - "Hatchery Dish" and a "Hatching Kit" - which one is better to get?

DonMD
10-24-2015, 06:49 PM
There is a - "Hatchery Dish" and a "Hatching Kit" - which one is better to get?

I've only ever used the hatchery kit. Buy 2 at least.

mmdiscus1
10-24-2015, 08:47 PM
I've only ever used the hatchery kit. Buy 2 at least.
OK! bought them, thanks