PDA

View Full Version : wild discus problems

andre senna
10-08-2015, 03:15 PM
Hi everyone! I will do my best about the english, I do not use it very often !I got some wild discus from hudson, here in Brazil. It was great, eating from my hand, not shy at all. I had four hybrids in this tank, but I liked the wilds so much ,that I decided to give up the hybrids , and get more wilds. so, I get some big red alenquer discus from nhamundá , now I have ten adult discus in a 160 x55x55 cm tank, all from the alenquer, besides one old fish, a red melon.

My water: 0 ammonia and nitrites, ph 7,3, GH less than 50, KH 3,2 german degrees, temp 30 c. I decided not to mess about the ph, as the water is very soft, and the results are unpredictable. no plants, a few branches, a layer of sand, that I decided to removea lot of it because I realized that it was holding too much dirt , besides the 50 % water change and siphoning every week. I have '' slime " growing in my canisters tubes.Maybe it is because of the sand. I have 1 sun sun 2200 liters per hour and one dolphin 1800 liters per hour.I clean botch every 14 days. No algae, just some cyanobacteria, always bothering me.It is in control now, but not gone. The lights are two 40 w lamps turned on 8 hours a day.

The problem is that some new fishes ( a little bigger ) start to chase the old ones, now I have 3 fishes that used to eat a lot not eating at all, they are stressed, they are loooking good, not losing weight, but one of them started to shown very clear and stringy feces, I am a veterinarian, so I did 5 fecal tests, all negative, one fecal citology, just normal bacterial flora, but as I was suspecting of protozoa, or even worms, beside the tests, I decided to use azoo endoparasites anyway, I do not like it so much, I think there is no clear instructions at all, but it was the only option around here, so I use it. No more stringy feces, but these fishes are still not eating at all.

I just do not know what to do, I think it can be just stress, since these fishes were eating pellets before, and stops eating after the new fish starts to dominate the tank. I still do not eliminate worms or protozoa , I saw that fish spiting out food, I have levamisole, but last time I used it in the main tank I had an ammonia spike. maybe I should seperate these fishes and try a metro treatment, diagnose is hard sometimes. Another thing: sometimes one of their gills seems to not work, besides the normal function of the other. No scratching, sometimes I saw a discrete hyperplasia, that is better now, and they used to spit some white stuff sometimes, I was using alkaline and acid buffer together in the new water, I stopped it now. Maybe gill flukes ? or too much organics. I did a test and saw nothing.

I am thinking about divide the tank in two, using an acrilic net, to see if they eat again, away from the more agressive ones. I do not want to take out any fish, but I will do it if necessary, maybe I have too many discus in this tank. I do not like to see fish stressed and not eating. Besides it they look beautiful, good color, no fin rot...

Any thoughts and advice are welcome!

Eddie
10-08-2015, 10:02 PM
Hello. It sounds like it's stress related. You could divide them but you are breaking the natural hierarchy and the bully will move to the next fish in the hierarchy on each side. You have 10 fish so spreading the aggression is already in place. It sounds like you just have a super mean fish. Lol

andre senna
10-09-2015, 11:08 AM
Hello. It sounds like it's stress related. You could divide them but you are breaking the natural hierarchy and the bully will move to the next fish in the hierarchy on each side. You have 10 fish so spreading the aggression is already in place. It sounds like you just have a super mean fish. Lol

Thank you! yes, I have one big alenquer nhamunda discus that wants to eat all the food. For my surprise, I saw 2 of these fishes eating yesterday. they ate flake food and some freeze dried arhtemia .I will try to put more wood in the tank to see if they feel more safe, and create some new territories.

Eddie
10-09-2015, 11:16 AM
More items in the tank will give the fish places to hide.I would concentrate on ways to ensure all fish are getting fed.

plecocicho
10-14-2015, 06:21 PM
Hmm, maybe the removal of sand caused a disturbance and the new fish started dominating and is now extra mean to establish its supremacy. You can add some cattapo leaves or similar substitute to ease the stress. And of course show us some pics of your wilds.

Mapet
10-14-2015, 06:54 PM
I am a veterinarian, so I did 5 fecal tests, all negative, one fecal citology, just normal bacterial flora, but as I was suspecting of protozoa, or even worms, beside the tests
Hi, can You insert a short video form microscope (x40, x100 and x400) or some pics, faeces and mud from the filter?
And some pics fish and the whole aquarium?
I have also red alenquers. ;)

andre senna
10-15-2015, 08:14 PM
Hmm, maybe the removal of sand caused a disturbance and the new fish started dominating and is now extra mean to establish its supremacy. You can add some cattapo leaves or similar substitute to ease the stress. And of course show us some pics of your wilds.

Of course! they are beautiful. I do not think it is about the sand...it was the same. the tank is just more cleaner now!

andre senna
10-15-2015, 08:19 PM
Hi, can You insert a short video form microscope (x40, x100 and x400) or some pics, faeces and mud from the filter?
And some pics fish and the whole aquarium?
I have also red alenquers. ;)

I did some tests, found nothing...the laboratory said that a free worm found in the fecal test is a gill fluke, but I think it is just a planaria. I will send this video. Why you want to see the mud in the microscope ?in one fish with white feces I did a citology, and found some candida.

Mapet
10-17-2015, 12:15 AM
On the mud You can find a lot of things, if the fish got nematodes or gill fluke You can find them there.
If You pick up poops from the bottom aquarium it's for sure planaria.
Why You treat fish with the levamisole if You don't find anything?
In my opinion it's one of the worst medicine for fish.
I always check poops and mud under microscope.

andre senna
10-21-2015, 09:55 AM
On the mud You can find a lot of things, if the fish got nematodes or gill fluke You can find them there.
If You pick up poops from the bottom aquarium it's for sure planaria.
Why You treat fish with the levamisole if You don't find anything?
In my opinion it's one of the worst medicine for fish.
I always check poops and mud under microscope.

Yes, they suffered a lot! many scars because of the skittsh behavior. Now they are recovered, but the ones that were not eating are still not .I think they have hole in the head disease. I will put pictures in another post.