PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning pre-filter

gordo33
10-09-2015, 08:01 AM
Need help figuring out how to remove pre filter from canister filter intake without dumping what is collecting on the pre filter into the tank. Twice a week I perform 40% WC . This places the top of the foam at the water line. I have tried to put a plastic cup under the pre filter to prevent the junk from entering the tank but have not been 100% successful. Once dropping the filter and releasing the junk into the tank.
I would also like to clean it inbetween WC to get the accumulating junk out of the tank .
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Glenn

MKD
10-09-2015, 08:26 AM
You can try the net to take it out, similar to plastic cup that you did.

discuspaul
10-09-2015, 11:38 AM
Pull it off the intake using an inexpensive clear sandwich bag to enclose it - all the debris will remain in the bag as you remove the pre-filter from the tank.

gordo33
10-09-2015, 11:47 AM
Pull it off the intake using an inexpensive clear sandwich bag to enclose it - all the debris will remain in the bag as you remove the pre-filter from the tank.

Simple enough will try tonight thanks for us input

Eddie
10-09-2015, 12:36 PM

+1

Keith Perkins
10-09-2015, 02:02 PM

Yup, that's the route I'd take too.

gordo33
10-09-2015, 06:35 PM
Plastic bag worked!!! kept all bad stuff in the bag and out of the tank:D
Thanks

rickztahone
10-09-2015, 08:39 PM
Plastic bag worked!!! kept all bad stuff in the bag and out of the tank:D
Thanks

sometimes the best solutions, are the easiest ones and in this case, the cheapest one! ;)

navarro1950
10-09-2015, 08:59 PM
I use a plastic food storage bag which slide over the prefliter to prevent any of the debris from reentering the water.

strawberryblonde
10-09-2015, 09:22 PM
I always do a 90% WC, so I just let the water slowly drain down and the debris stays right on the pre-filter. Once the water level is well below the filter, I pull it off, toss it into my bucket and go rinse it out.

I like the baggie over the pre-filter trick though! If I ever do a smaller WC I'll use that method to keep the gunk from falling into the tank.