PDA

View Full Version : Free Discus

navarro1950
10-12-2015, 09:51 PM
A very good friend on mine bought two aquariums a couple divorcing and one of the tank had fourteen discus in it Four of the discus have died and the last ten were given to me. I am going by my friend tomorrow morning to bag the discus and get back home to acclimate them and release them into my tank. My water was last changed on Saturday so I already have sixty gallons of aged water to add to my 125 gallon tank or do a small w/c if necessary. Should I acclimate them by drip or drop and plop, which do you all say is best? Thanks for all of yawls help.

warblad79
10-12-2015, 10:00 PM
If I were you, I would quarantine them first since some of them died already. The one survive might carry disease

DISCUS STU
10-12-2015, 10:34 PM
Quarantine is always a good idea, whatever the source.

navarro1950
10-13-2015, 01:28 AM
The discua died from the cold because they were in his warehouse and the tank didn't have heaters in it.He says he didn't know the temp was groping down that low. As for quarantining them I really want to but I don't have a tank large enough to fit all of them. When he bought I suggested to him that he should join SD. I saw the discus and they were fine. I know it's not a good idea not to quarantine, I only tank I have available is a 20 gallon tank and I've already set it up using two sponge filters that I had seeding in my refugium for months.

jmf3460
10-13-2015, 08:49 AM
OP what else is in your 125. if nothing you can acclimate and treat the big tank as a quarantine tank. maybe you could move the existing fish to a separate tank if they are smaller tetras/dithers???

SomeFin's Fishy
10-13-2015, 09:30 AM
This sounds like the "Free Puppy Syndrome." There is no such thing as a free puppy, as there are always hidden costs. There is also no substitute for not quarantining your new fish. While they may have died while being in a cold tank, it's doubtful that they died from the cold. It's more likely that they may have picked up some type of secondary infection, that may also be passed on to your fish. Just because they are free doesn't make them a bargain.

DISCUS STU
10-13-2015, 10:17 AM
This sounds like the "Free Puppy Syndrome." There is no such thing as a free puppy, as there are always hidden costs. There is also no substitute for not quarantining your new fish. While they may have died while being in a cold tank, it's doubtful that they died from the cold. It's more likely that they may have picked up some type of secondary infection, that may also be passed on to your fish. Just because they are free doesn't make them a bargain.

+1

MD.David
10-13-2015, 06:51 PM
I second this statement:

CrazyAngels
10-13-2015, 11:42 PM
OP what else is in your 125. if nothing you can acclimate and treat the big tank as a quarantine tank. maybe you could move the existing fish to a separate tank if they are smaller tetras/dithers???

I agree with Jacklyn, if there is nothing else or the others are smaller fish, then just move them to the 20 and use your main tank as QT. You never know, the discus could be high end and just lacking some TLC.. Wish you the best..

navarro1950
10-14-2015, 02:11 AM
I pick up the 10 discus today. I took JACKLYN's advice and moved all tetras to the twenty gal and put the 10 discus in the 125. The 125 has substrate and plants. My filtration is a fx6 and eshopps r-200 refugium which I have a uv on the return. I'm retired so I'm home all day and I will watch them closely. I know they should be quarantined before placing them in my 125 especially with substrate and plants, I really don't want to lose anything. I have a 29 gal laying around so I can clean it and use it to place the plants in and if I have to treat the discus so be it I'll just remove the substrate and give all my plants to my friend and go BB tank.

jmf3460
10-14-2015, 08:15 AM
Navarro, big daily water changes and close observations for a while. while it may be likely you will end up removing your substrate and plants it is not certain. if these are juveniles, it will be much easier on you to raise them in a bb tank, but it sounds like you are prepared to do that if it is required. good luck and post pictures soon, I think we are all ready to see your free discus. good job moving out the tetras, once everyone is deemed safe, you can add them back to the 125.

Skip
10-14-2015, 08:29 AM
The discua died from the cold because they were in his warehouse and the tank didn't have heaters in it.He says he didn't know the temp was groping down that low. As for quarantining them I really want to but I don't have a tank large enough to fit all of them. When he bought I suggested to him that he should join SD. I saw the discus and they were fine. I know it's not a good idea not to quarantine, I only tank I have available is a 20 gallon tank and I've already set it up using two sponge filters that I had seeding in my refugium for months.

Good luck.. you are going down a slick road..

navarro1950
10-15-2015, 02:13 AM
Ok, I've found a 75 gal that was for sale and got it home. I am testing it for leaks and if it doesn't leak i'll disinfect it and place the discus in it BB of course so grow them out in there. I will post pics as soon as I find out how to post with my Iphone. I'll need help if you all don't mine.

CrazyAngels
10-19-2015, 02:44 PM
Ok, I've found a 75 gal that was for sale and got it home. I am testing it for leaks and if it doesn't leak i'll disinfect it and place the discus in it BB of course so grow them out in there. I will post pics as soon as I find out how to post with my Iphone. I'll need help if you all don't mine.

This is great news. Hope they are doing better under your care. Best of luck..

ssevasta
10-23-2015, 01:08 AM
The members of this forum are all super helpful in my opinion. I often times find most of the answers to any questions I think of using the search function but any time I've ever posted a question it hasn't taken longer than a few hours to get some helpful advice. There's also two books written by Andrew Soh about Discus that I highly recommend. You can buy them on eBay for about $75 each with $5 shipping. One is Discus The Naked Truth and the other one is Discus Problems and Solutions.

navarro1950
10-23-2015, 03:35 AM
Thanks for telling me about those books, I'll talk a look for them i the morning.

navarro1950
10-23-2015, 03:42 AM
About that 75 gal tank, has anyone had any good experience with any of the store bought nitrifying bacteria. I've some of the substrate out of my 125. Its been up over 2 years and I haven't had any problems with it at all. The discus are all fine and doing very well. If I could get someone to walk me through posting pictures I'd gladly post them.

jmf3460
10-23-2015, 08:14 AM
store bought nitrifying bacteria is crap, don't believe any of the bottles that there is live beneficial bacteria in them, how could it survive in that tiny bottle with no movement nor food source. they are all a scam. glad to hear the discus are doing well. what you need to do is take pictures with your phone then get them to your computer and save them to your computer then add them here by clicking the insert picture button above, then you will chose "add from computer" and you will go through and pic the pictures and hit "Add photo"

tj_718
10-24-2015, 01:53 AM
i think discus fish is sturdy and the reason of the death maybe not the water problem.
so you can change the water daringly
and find the death reason lately

navarro1950
10-24-2015, 04:12 AM
Thanks JACKLYN for the info on how to add pics I'll give it a try and thanks for the help about the bacteria , I couldn't see how they can survive without ammonia .

navarro1950
10-24-2015, 09:44 PM
Here are some of the pictures I promised.

navarro1950
10-24-2015, 09:52 PM
Sorry there're duplicates and they are side ways . I'm still learning how to post pics.

navarro1950
10-24-2015, 10:06 PM
Here are more pics of my discus and my 75 gal QT I have cycling.

brewmaster15
10-25-2015, 01:55 PM
Made some rotations for you Navarro:)

al

jmf3460
10-25-2015, 06:21 PM
Navarro these fish look good. I was expecting much worse for free fish but they look like really good and healthy fish. it will do them well to get out of your planted tank and into the bb tank. I bet after 2 months in the bb tank with daily large water changes and some beefy food you will be pleasantly surprised at how good they are going to look.

navarro1950
10-25-2015, 06:55 PM
Thank you Al for the pictures rotations. I'll learn how to post right side up.
JACKLYN I'm feeding the discus Al's Diskusgold & Black Worms, New Era discus pellets, and TetraMin Tropical Crisps. I'll look on SD and find a receipt for beef heart after I have moved the discus to the BB tank. Thanks for your help.

John_Nicholson
10-25-2015, 08:07 PM
I have seen better and I have seen worse. Looks like your tank will be bare bottom. I predict that you will do fine with them. They will never reach their full potential, it is too late for that but they will be fine.

-john

jmf3460
10-25-2015, 08:43 PM
Navarro I would recommend that you def wait until they are in their bb to do any beef heart. what you are already feeding sounds like the perfect mix of great foods. you are off to a good start with these fish and your bb setup.

dprais1
10-25-2015, 09:58 PM
store bought nitrifying bacteria is crap, don't believe any of the bottles that there is live beneficial bacteria in them, how could it survive in that tiny bottle with no movement nor food source. they are all a scam. glad to hear the discus are doing well. what you need to do is take pictures with your phone then get them to your computer and save them to your computer then add them here by clicking the insert picture button above, then you will chose "add from computer" and you will go through and pic the pictures and hit "Add photo"

http://microbiology.columbia.edu/faculty/pdf/dworkinshah2010.pdf

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?21233-Biofilter-dry-out-experiment

ssevasta
10-26-2015, 12:38 AM
Is it just me or are their eyes huge?

navarro1950
10-26-2015, 01:37 AM
I don't care if their eye are huge, not a problem or if their growth is stunted, not a problem, I'm not looking for gainted discus, they were given to me by a friend that knew I like them so no matter what I'll take good care of them which ever way it goes, huge eyes, peppering ,and small.

jmf3460
10-26-2015, 08:15 AM

it is just you. huge is a bit of an overstatement. yes they are not the best looking fish nor are show quality but I do not see significant stunt in any of these discus.

jmf3460
10-26-2015, 08:16 AM
Navarro, peppering you cant help, with a dark background or substrate a fish is going to pepper as its attempt to camouflage and there is nothing you can do about it. I do not see that your fish are significantly stunted at all.

navarro1950
10-27-2015, 01:47 AM
Thank you JACKLYN and as soon as I can move them I'll post more pictures.

warblad79
10-27-2015, 02:11 AM

Dude they are free, will you give your friend a show quality fish for free?