PDA

View Full Version : How do you Raise KH

a.person61
10-16-2015, 07:29 PM
What is the Best natural and safest way to higher KH? The water will of been aged for 1 day so something to higher while ageing would be awesome.
Thanks in advance

nc0gnet0
10-16-2015, 07:30 PM
Why?

a.person61
10-16-2015, 07:32 PM
To low and i would like to add co2

DJW
10-16-2015, 07:56 PM
Discus and plants together is already a balancing act. If you tip the scale in favor of the plants by adding CO2, then you worry about the pH... then if you add alkaline buffer to raise the KH to stabilize the pH, you are hardening your water, which in turn...

There are ways to get decent plant growth without CO2, not phenomenal growth, but decent. I am not an expert in the use of CO2, never had the inclination, but I have a pH Controller that I just use as a handy meter. The controller looks like a safe way to add CO2 that might alleviate concerns about the pH & KH.

Jack L
10-16-2015, 08:22 PM
too low....what is the KH you have now? what is your tap water like?

there are tons of info on KH, GH on the web... its gets rather tedious...and feels a lot like i'm back in 7th grade...
google this
A practical approach to freshwater aquarium water chemistry

i use seachems alkaline buffer because paying an INSANE markup for baking soda is what their marketing department brainwashed me to do ; )

wild4discus
10-16-2015, 08:46 PM
A simple and cheap way of raising KH is place 1-2 tablespoons of crushed coral in a mesh media bag and put in in your filter or just put directly in your tank or container you are aging your water in. Test your water after 24 hours, if too high use less crushed coral until you get the reult you want.

Jack L
10-16-2015, 08:52 PM
wild4d

?, if i were to put crushed coral in my sump, or limestone i guess, and then just do WC with RO, won't my ph fluctuate a lot?

Eddie
10-19-2015, 10:16 AM
wild4d

?, if i were to put crushed coral in my sump, or limestone i guess, and then just do WC with RO, won't my ph fluctuate a lot?

Minor adjustments to Kh won't always impact ph.

DJW
10-19-2015, 09:35 PM
Whenever you do a water change you replenish the KH while reducing the nitrates/nitric acid that will deplete the buffering capacity. For this reason a discus tank isn't likely to suffer pH crash unless the tank is overcrowded and/or not getting enough water changes.