PDA

View Full Version : FDBW and yellow discus

FishFanMan
10-17-2015, 01:21 PM
If I feed plain FDBW w/o color enhancers, will it stay yellow? I'd like to get another yellow one. I'm almost done with the enhanced FDBWs. I don't want it turning orange on me this time.

Eddie
10-17-2015, 03:30 PM
Yes. You could also get the spinach ones.

strawberryblonde
10-17-2015, 03:42 PM
Mine love the spinach FDBW's, but if you feed other foods like discus flakes your yellow discus will still have a tendency to turn slightly orange. It won't be as pronounced as what happens with the FDBW's with bio-pigment though! =)

I quite using the enhanced FDBW's about 6 months ago and my GS is only just beginning to look like his old self. His nose and the base of his fins are still VERY orange (almost blood orange in color), but the rest is slowly fading back to normal. He'll never be totally pale and free of coloration though because of the flake foods he scarfs down.

FishFanMan
10-17-2015, 04:39 PM
Thanks guys

nc0gnet0
10-18-2015, 07:25 AM
It's really hard to find fish foods without red enhancing properties. Not only do you need to avoid the known red enhancers such as astaxanthin or carophyll pink, but you need to avoid anything crustacean based (shell fish) or with spirulina (macro algae) as well. Even then, there is no guarantee your yellow based fish won't turn orange just as a result of normal aging/maturation.

Breeders/importers know this, and as a result, most often you will find their yellow strains only being sold in the smaller sizes. Rarely do you see a good yellow fish being sold that is 5 1/2 - 6 1/2"+. When you do, they will command a premium price.

FishFanMan
10-18-2015, 08:09 AM
So what has worked for you at avoiding orange coloration? Thanks.

nc0gnet0
10-18-2015, 08:39 AM
So what has worked for you at avoiding orange coloration? Thanks.

Do you have a tank dedicated to just yellow discus, or are you going to conform all your discus to a diet based solely on one or two yellow fish?

-Rick

FishFanMan
10-18-2015, 09:20 AM
It's a tank with variety of colors. I feed my discus almost exclusively FDblackworms. What I'd like to know is what commercially available food would maintain the yellow color. I would feed that to all my discus. If plain FDBW is good, I'd just keep using that.

nc0gnet0
10-18-2015, 11:30 AM
What I'd like to know is what commercially available food would maintain the yellow color

virtually none.

DanCBW
10-18-2015, 02:21 PM
Our Carophyll Yellow enhanced FDBW

Dan
Any questions? Please email direct @ blkworm@aol.com
California Blackworm Co.

FishFanMan
10-18-2015, 06:17 PM
Dan, thanks! That's the info I'm looking for.