PDA

View Full Version : Fluval Peat Balls

orchidmaster
10-22-2015, 12:18 AM
anyone using or know a reason not to use peat balls for pH control and softening water for discus? Seems that adding Discus Buffer and other commercial pH adjustments add to the chemical coup. Any comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

trungnguyen
10-22-2015, 02:43 AM
Are you trying to breed pairs or just grow out/keep discus? I suggest you should not mess with pH unless you know what you are doing to prevent the stress for the fish.

Boyd Luth
10-22-2015, 05:50 AM
At one time, I added Peat to my Aquarium, hoping to enhance the quality of Habitat ( Amazon ) After reading, I discovered that Discus, will adapt to just about any water condition. Unless you plan to breed, etc. Many options, read up in the " Water Works " section. $$$ is a factor for many. Once I began to add chemicals etc. it was a constant hassle. Today, I add a bit of trace element from Ken, purchase most everything from our Sponsors here on Simply :-).....

pitdogg2
10-22-2015, 11:47 AM
anyone using or know a reason not to use peat balls for pH control and softening water for discus?

because it is too expensive. you can get the same in large bales at the grow shops just use some pantyhose to put it in. But I agree with others my fish spawn and hatch eggs in plain tap water with fairly hard water at a pH of 7.5+. The eggs do hatch and do get free swimming before other inhabitants eat them up. With good foods and 50-80% water changes per day they lay 2-3 times a month.

orchidmaster
10-22-2015, 12:51 PM
just trying to keep them...not so interested in breeding. Had raised discus about 25 years ago when there was no such thing as sterilized frozen worms and all the options from today. The tubiflex at that time carried most every disease you could probably give to a fish. So it was almost mandatory that peat was used in the water for anti-microbial issues and the fact that the discus were probably not as tolerant of higher pH values as they are now. Just wondering if anyone sees the need to do this but it sounds like this is a case of leave well enough alone. Do appreciate your input. Thanks

pitdogg2
10-23-2015, 11:19 AM
Well the only way peat would work that way was if you kept your pH at 5.0 or below... And to be honest it was pH more than the peat.

Eddie
10-23-2015, 12:03 PM
just trying to keep them...not so interested in breeding. Had raised discus about 25 years ago when there was no such thing as sterilized frozen worms and all the options from today. The tubiflex at that time carried most every disease you could probably give to a fish. So it was almost mandatory that peat was used in the water for anti-microbial issues and the fact that the discus were probably not as tolerant of higher pH values as they are now. Just wondering if anyone sees the need to do this but it sounds like this is a case of leave well enough alone. Do appreciate your input. Thanks

Ain't nobody feeding tubifex. There are many more safe food alternatives. Also, as mentioned, no need for any peat.