PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia remover in aquaclear 110

J@Y137
10-26-2015, 10:22 PM
I was just curious about how this works and affects the bacteria colonies of the tank. Is it ok to use the ammonia remover or will it kill the necessary bacteria and make it so the tank relies only on the ammonia remover?

Eddie
10-27-2015, 01:15 PM
I was just curious about how this works and affects the bacteria colonies of the tank. Is it ok to use the ammonia remover or will it kill the necessary bacteria and make it so the tank relies only on the ammonia remover?

Don't use it. Use a bio media so you can establish a healthy bio colony. Ammonia removers are useless.

J@Y137
10-27-2015, 10:38 PM
How about double stacked sponges? Thats what I use in all my african cichlid tanks. I dont have any problems in those, just with the discus.

FishFanMan
10-27-2015, 10:57 PM
For a low cost solution, you could get a used canister on CL, fill it with red lava rocks from Home Depot and put a prefilter sponge on the intake. Blast the lava rock pieces with a hose be because they are dirty. You'll have all the biological filtration you need on the cheap to get rid of ammonia. If you want to go further, learn about a nitrate reactor to minimize nitrates.

J@Y137
10-28-2015, 02:43 PM
Im always worried with canister filters that a hose will pop off or something will happen and ill come home to water all over my apt floor. I have alot of lava rock though.

FishFanMan
10-28-2015, 11:50 PM
You could buy hose clamps from Ace Hardware to ensure hoses don't come off. If your using OEM hoses and equipment, you should have no problems. I was worried too but these canisters are low pressure systems so hoses shouldn't pop off.