PDA

View Full Version : Aging water...

Lilly
10-28-2015, 01:33 PM
A couple of days ago I lost one of my beautiful Blue discus...a brilliant...about ten months old. Everything was going great and bam...after my daily WC it started to spin, bounce off the tank walls etc.... I shut the light off on the tank and hoped things would settle down...they didn't and by the next day it was gone.:(

Sooooo

The only thing I can think is perhaps the cold weather setting in and the well water had a lot of bubbles freaked this fish out... the tank water tested fine...I do 65-70% daily water changes.

I have eight others approx. the same age. Since I do not want them to suffer this fate I have decided to age 50 gallons of water for approx 24hrs between WC's ...

After all that being said....is 24 hrs enough and is it okay to run a power head to move the water in the barrel versus a air stone? Can I also leave the lid mostly on so stuff doesn't get in the barrel...and any ideas how to make it look better in my living room!

Ahhh what we won't do for our discus:o

warblad79
10-28-2015, 02:46 PM
if they were spinning maybe it's not cause by water change. The fish probably have swirling disease

Lilly
10-28-2015, 03:35 PM
if they were spinning maybe it's not cause by water change. The fish probably have swirling disease

What is that? Is there a link in the forum you know of please...

Thank you for your response.

warblad79
10-28-2015, 03:43 PM
Just do a Advance Search "swirling disease"

Lilly
10-28-2015, 06:37 PM
Just do a Advance Search "swirling disease"

thank you!

Woodduck
10-28-2015, 08:00 PM
I don't use an airstone. I run my airline down to the bottom of my storage tanks with a big loose knot holding a weight. Does the trick without all the micro bubbles.

MD.David
10-28-2015, 08:25 PM
I was taught by my father in-law (long time discus keeper/breeder) that this was discus tuberculosis, I'm not sure if he was correct or not but (but when this happened as your described this is what he would do), he always treated with 37% formaldehyde 3cc per gallon for 1hr, then 100% water change.
I have had this happen a few times over the years on my own and with him.
Although I have only seen this happen to young juvenile discus, when it happens to one it seems to happen to more not soon after.
If you going to treat in a community tank (which you should the entire tank), I would remove all sponge filters and turn off any filters because the formaldehyde will kill all your beneficial bacteria, don't forget to keep an air stone in the tank to help the water circulate and remember the formaldehyde reduces oxygen in the water. Also make sure your ready to do an immediate water change if some of the discus stress out to much, but I have never seen them have a problem with this regiment.
I would treat the entire tank.
Maybe more experienced members might have better suggestions but this is what I would do.

Best of luck mate.

rickztahone
10-28-2015, 09:49 PM
What is that? Is there a link in the forum you know of please...

Thank you for your response.

Whirling Disease (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?115050-Whirling-Disease)

This typically affects Wilds, mind you.

bluelagoon
10-29-2015, 09:08 AM
It may have suffocated due to micro bubbles like mentioned prior.Aging the water is always better especially if it was treated to become drinkable.

Lilly
10-29-2015, 02:45 PM
I don't use an airstone. I run my airline down to the bottom of my storage tanks with a big loose knot holding a weight. Does the trick without all the micro bubbles.

Thank you!

Lilly
10-29-2015, 02:49 PM
I was taught by my father in-law (long time discus keeper/breeder) that this was discus tuberculosis, I'm not sure if he was correct or not but (but when this happened as your described this is what he would do), he always treated with 37% formaldehyde 3cc per gallon for 1hr, then 100% water change.
I have had this happen a few times over the years on my own and with him.
Although I have only seen this happen to young juvenile discus, when it happens to one it seems to happen to more not soon after.
If you going to treat in a community tank (which you should the entire tank), I would remove all sponge filters and turn off any filters because the formaldehyde will kill all your beneficial bacteria, don't forget to keep an air stone in the tank to help the water circulate and remember the formaldehyde reduces oxygen in the water. Also make sure your ready to do an immediate water change if some of the discus stress out to much, but I have never seen them have a problem with this regiment.
I would treat the entire tank.
Maybe more experienced members might have better suggestions but this is what I would do.

Best of luck mate.

Is there a product that is 37% formaldehyde? I don't have any idea where to purchase this?

Thank you!

Lilly
10-29-2015, 02:52 PM
It may have suffocated due to micro bubbles like mentioned prior.Aging the water is always better especially if it was treated to become drinkable.

The water is from my well...I have done 2 WC now with the aged water...same temp and same PH...but I believe I have another older fish who is now sick:(

Thank you for the response.

Lilly
10-29-2015, 02:57 PM
Whirling Disease (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?115050-Whirling-Disease)

This typically affects Wilds, mind you.

After reading the article I am at not convinced either...on the off chance perhaps I should withhold food and add salt to the tank? My well water is treated with Potassium pellets to soften it ....but my ph is steady at 7.8 maybe 8...api test id dark blue....

MD.David
10-29-2015, 11:21 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Formaldehyde-approx-grade-Pharma-grade-shipped/dp/B00CY4O07Y
Treat 3cc per 10gallons., if they don't have it, this also kills all parasites as well.
Maybe more experienced member might know something better but this is what I would do if there isn't a better solution.

MD.David
10-29-2015, 11:36 PM
This is what I think your discus may have:

... http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/disease_medications/internal/fish_tuberculosis.shtml

MD.David
10-29-2015, 11:38 PM
The formaldehyde kills the bacteria, then the effected area needs to heal.

FishFanMan
10-30-2015, 10:06 AM
Maybe all the physical trauma caused internal damage and that killed the original discus. I would not treat the whole tank at this point. Keep the water as clean as you can for a month and see how your one sick discus improves. How do you know it's sick? Can you post pics and tell us more about your tank setup, cleaning routine and water params?

Willie
10-30-2015, 11:35 AM
Aging water is always a good idea. I just run an airstone overnight, and bring the water up to 84F with a big heater. I've also used a powerhead and have observed no difference. If you leave the lid on, the water just heats up much faster.

brewmaster15
10-30-2015, 01:36 PM
Lilly,
Theres a good article by the University of Florida on using Formalin...

Read it here...

http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/disease_medications/medicine_cabinet/formalin.shtml

hth,
al

Lilly
10-30-2015, 07:12 PM
This is what I think your discus may have:

... http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/disease_medications/internal/fish_tuberculosis.shtml

I really appreciate your help but I am sure my fish did not have this. It was absolutely healthy before the water change eating, growing beautiful color etc....

Thank you for the article it really helped me to determine that it was not fish TB:)

Lilly
10-30-2015, 07:20 PM
Lilly,
Theres a good article by the University of Florida on using Formalin...

Read it here...

http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/disease_medications/medicine_cabinet/formalin.shtml

hth,
al

Thank you for the article Al....I am not going to treat the tank for Fish TB as I don't believe that is what is going on. I do believe after reading everyone's replies....thank you so much to all ,this is the best group of people :D....that the fish freaked out from the bubbles....:(

Lilly
10-30-2015, 07:54 PM
Maybe all the physical trauma caused internal damage and that killed the original discus. I would not treat the whole tank at this point. Keep the water as clean as you can for a month and see how your one sick discus improves. How do you know it's sick? Can you post pics and tell us more about your tank setup, cleaning routine and water params?

This makes the most sense to me as well.
Update on the second sick fish...it no longer looks sick:D...the fish was looking towards the top of the tank and was doing what looked like very slow somersaults?
Last night when I got home from work there was no sign of this behavior at all. The one thing there was though, a lot of fish poop in the tank...maybe it was constipated? Anyway tonight all looks good still:D

The tank is 120g...bb...driftwood...40 g sump
There are eight discus, 8 Cory sterbai, 8 black neon and 8 harlequin rasboro. 2 feedings a day...was feeding three times prior to this episode. flakes, and NLS discus. FDBW before bed. Also offer pleco pellet for cories.
WC are daily...50gal now...was 3/4 of the tank after work daily, the filter floss is changed every other or every day.

Water temp was 82... changed to 84-85 after episode
PH 7.8-8.
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 5ppm...golden yellow
didn't test for anything else.