PDA

View Full Version : Newbie: Water changes

jkratzwald
10-28-2015, 11:38 PM
I have dabbled in discus before, but have decided to give it a full blown run and hopefully wind up with some mating pairs.

I have a 90 gallon that I'll be using as the community tank. Put several young discus in there and see who pairs off as they age. I will then move pairs off to a tank of their own. I will have an RO system as my tap water is not good for discus at all (high ph and very hard). I've done the research and know where I need to be in those areas.

Where I don't have a clear picture is amount and frequency of water changes (and the why). I plan on getting local raised fish so they're more acclimated to the water in this area.

In my 90 gallon community how often and how much water should I change out? My understanding is that if you're not going for breeding purposes the amount and quantity isn't as much as if you're going for breeding. So I just want them to grow and pair during this stage. Is this correct information?

Once I get a pair moved into their own tank, I understand that the amount and frequency will have to increase. The tank that I have set aside for this purpose is a 45 corner tank. If and when I get a pair that wants to mate, how much and how often should I do the change in it to promote breeding?

Also, what is the purpose in aging water before changes? I will be using a mix of tap and RO to achieve proper parameters. I see people talking about aging the water with aeration in a receptacle before adding to tank. What is the purpose of aging and how long should it age before adding to tank?

Thanks in advance and hopefully by summer I'll be telling success stories on here and having some fry for sale!!

rickztahone
10-28-2015, 11:55 PM
It depends what size discus you will be getting and what your goal is. If you are getting small discus, say 3" or so, you want to do daily water changes if you want to grow them out to their full potential. Adults do not need as much water changes because they've already achieved roughly the size they will be through their life.

jkratzwald
10-29-2015, 12:21 AM
I will be getting young discus, so what percentage of the water should I change daily? 10%, 25%, 50%?

Akili
10-29-2015, 12:46 AM
I will be getting young discus, so what percentage of the water should I change daily? 10%, 25%, 50%?Even more than 50% would be better if you are getting younger ones, 100% should the target if you possible.Also drop the idea of a community tank, younger Discus tend grow better if they are by themselves.

Filip
10-29-2015, 04:44 AM
You can mix Ro with tap water say 50-50% depending on your parameters.

It would be easier to put the youngsters in 30-40 gallon bare tank and do 90% daily wc with frequent and good feedings.

After 3 months if you do this, they should reach 5-6 inch and then you can put them in 90g Tank.

Filip
10-29-2015, 04:46 AM
You age the water to get stable ph and Kh,and avoid big ph swings.

DJW
10-29-2015, 07:23 PM
Also, what is the purpose in aging water before changes?

I suggest reading this sticky:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86009-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus

Scroll down about half way to the section on "PH Stability".