PDA

View Full Version : Pre filter question

gordo33
10-31-2015, 07:48 AM
I saw a product used for sealing air conditioners made by a company named Frost King. It is a foam that comes 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 x42 inches. I did not see any info on package or web site about flame retardant or other chemicals. Good price sold at large box stores.
I was wondering if anyone is using this product as a pre filter or has info about chemicals that maybe added to the foam.
Thanks,Glenn

Second Hand Pat
10-31-2015, 08:22 AM
Hi Glenn, I know nothing about Frost King foam but suggest since aquarium safe foam is pretty cheap I would suggest using that instead.
Pat

gordo33
10-31-2015, 09:00 AM
Pat. Thanks I won't use this foam unless I know for sure it is safe

Discus3anatic
10-31-2015, 11:28 PM
Why not go to petsmart ? They sell really pourus sponges for internal filters there.. Thats what i use on powerheads and inlets for my filters, it even has a cutout in the middle where charcoal goes in, but i take the charcoal out and slide the filter inlets inside.. works perfectly

navarro1950
11-01-2015, 12:22 AM
Take a look at swisstropicals.com before you but anything.

Jack L
11-01-2015, 10:00 AM
this ?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-E-O-2-1-4-in-x-2-1-4-in-x-42-in-Foam-Air-Conditioner-Weatherstrip-AC43-14/100013157

how much is foam....how much are fish? : )
that said though...if it were me, i'd call then am ask them i they add anything to it. if i wanted to use it and couldn't determine it was safe. and what the PPI is, if it mean to seat and air gap, not sure how long it would work to use w/ water w/o plugging up

i almost bought some gutta guard but then i saw it was treated with antimicrobial

others may disagree w/ me, but personally i look for the non aquarium branded version of the products, if its safe i use it, there is a huge upcharge once it says aquarium on it.

e.g right now i'm using a metal gutter strainer for my overflow intake, 1/5 cost of pvc aquarium versions and bigger too.
and crossstitch fabric from hobby lobby as a shrimp shield on my overflow

gordo33
11-01-2015, 11:47 AM
this ?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-E-O-2-1-4-in-x-2-1-4-in-x-42-in-Foam-Air-Conditioner-Weatherstrip-AC43-14/100013157

how much is foam....how much are fish? : )
that said though...if it were me, i'd call then am ask them i they add anything to it. if i wanted to use it and couldn't determine it was safe. and what the PPI is, if it mean to seat and air gap, not sure how long it would work to use w/ water w/o plugging up

i almost bought some gutta guard but then i saw it was treated with antimicrobial

others may disagree w/ me, but personally i look for the non aquarium branded version of the products, if its safe i use it, there is a huge upcharge once it says aquarium on it.

e.g right now i'm using a metal gutter strainer for my overflow intake, 1/5 cost of pvc aquarium versions and bigger too.
and crossstitch fabric from hobby lobby as a shrimp shield on my overflow

Yes that is the product I'm referring to. I sent them an email Friday waiting for a response. I purchased from pet smart for $3 a prefilter that is 4" ht (2in box)similar width and depth to Home Depot product. Home Depot product is 1/5 the price.

Understanding cost of fish I will not use it unless I get confirmation there is not chemicals added to the foam.

gordo33
11-01-2015, 11:52 AM
Why not go to petsmart ? They sell really pourus sponges for internal filters there.. Thats what i use on powerheads and inlets for my filters, it even has a cutout in the middle where charcoal goes in, but i take the charcoal out and slide the filter inlets inside.. works perfectly
I'm using that product now. I saw the air conditioning foam and figured the cost was 1/5 the aquarium pre filter. Discus keeping is an expensive hobby just looking for ways to save without harming the fish

Second Hand Pat
11-01-2015, 02:02 PM
Yes that is the product I'm referring to. I sent them an email Friday waiting for a response. I purchased from pet smart for $3 a prefilter that is 4" ht (2in box)similar width and depth to Home Depot product. Home Depot product is 1/5 the price.

Understanding cost of fish I will not use it unless I get confirmation there is not chemicals added to the foam.

You will need to ask if the product is aquarium safe and they most likely will not know.
Pat

Keith Perkins
11-01-2015, 03:00 PM
You will need to ask if the product is aquarium safe and they most likely will not know.
Pat

Agreed. There's also a very high chance that they don't manufacture the product.