PDA

View Full Version : Filtration Question in Discus setup

Royalbluewilds420
11-02-2015, 03:14 PM
I am planning to put 6 small 2" Royal Red Discus, and 6 small 2" Checkerboard Discus in a double 75 Gallon setup (one group on top, one group on bottom) and try to grow them out. For my filtration setup for EACH 75 gallon tank I am planning on having a Marine-land Penguin Emperor 400 for mechanical filtration, a 40 Gallon wet dry sump filter with overflow kit next to it (obviously one can filter both tanks), and a hydro Sponge Pro V for Biological and chemical filtration for both tanks. Will I be able to get away with less water changes (maybe 70% every 3 days) since I am beefing up on extra filtration? Or is there a such thing as too much filtration?

Any opinions and advice would be most helpful. Thank you

rickztahone
11-02-2015, 03:34 PM
You can stick all the discus in the 75g till they reach about 4" and then you can separate them if you need to.

Royalbluewilds420
11-02-2015, 03:36 PM
You can stick all the discus in the 75g till they reach about 4" and then you can separate them if you need to.

I prefer species tanks so I would much rather have a different kind of Discus in each tank, I'll keep that in mind though. I guess it would be less work in the beginning if I did have them together until they reach 4".

warblad79
11-02-2015, 03:43 PM
For that size of Discus, It's better to do a lot of WC at least 50% or more per day but if they were larger fish your plan is should work fine.

Royalbluewilds420
11-02-2015, 06:59 PM
For that size of Discus, It's better to do a lot of WC at least 50% or more per day but if they were larger fish your plan is should work fine.

Okay awesome! Thank you! I guess I'll wait until they're at least 5" and I'll put that setup on my main display instead of the grow out tanks then.

Discus3anatic
11-03-2015, 04:55 AM
filtration doesnt remove nitrates... The only thing that sump will honestly do is increase total water volume and dillute the bad stuff in the water.. So you could get away with going longer on water changes.. But that is the only reason why.. is increased water volume.. The filtration... and bio balls wont do anything to nitrates unless you have some crazy refugium setup. I suppose another thing the sump will help with is it will allow you to keep more fish in a smaller tank due to increased filtration for the nitrogen cycle.. aka ammonia and nitrites... But i will be honest with you... Once a tank is really really mature... A sump or canister filter wont matter when it comes to bio filtration (UNLESS you matured your tank with that bio filtration, But if you mature a tank with no bio filter it eventually will be able to handle any biofiltration on its own without a canister.... I know alot of people will disagree when i say this.. But alot of my tanks dont have bio filtration anymore... I use a HOB for mechanical filtration but i litterally wash the floss in my city tap water in the sink which kills whatever BB i had on the floss.. And i dont have any ammonia spikes.. The reason is because all the BB live in the gravel and surfaces on my tank.. This is because my tank BB matured more on the surfaces and gravel of my tanks then having a mature setup in a canister or sump.

(When i say all my of my tanks i mean all of them except my discus of course) my 30g-44g-55g-10g and so forth tanks. have 0 Bioligical filtration.. I have HOBS but i litterally as i said wash them in city water and kill everything on the floss.. My bio filtration is built up in my tanks from them being mature on their own.

I dunno if im making sense here lol.

rickztahone
11-03-2015, 01:30 PM
filtration doesnt remove nitrates... The only thing that sump will honestly do is increase total water volume and dillute the bad stuff in the water.. So you could get away with going longer on water changes.. But that is the only reason why.. is increased water volume.. The filtration... and bio balls wont do anything to nitrates unless you have some crazy refugium setup. I suppose another thing the sump will help with is it will allow you to keep more fish in a smaller tank due to increased filtration for the nitrogen cycle.. aka ammonia and nitrites... But i will be honest with you... Once a tank is really really mature... A sump or canister filter wont matter when it comes to bio filtration (UNLESS you matured your tank with that bio filtration, But if you mature a tank with no bio filter it eventually will be able to handle any biofiltration on its own without a canister.... I know alot of people will disagree when i say this.. But alot of my tanks dont have bio filtration anymore... I use a HOB for mechanical filtration but i litterally wash the floss in my city tap water in the sink which kills whatever BB i had on the floss.. And i dont have any ammonia spikes.. The reason is because all the BB live in the gravel and surfaces on my tank.. This is because my tank BB matured more on the surfaces and gravel of my tanks then having a mature setup in a canister or sump.

(When i say all my of my tanks i mean all of them except my discus of course) my 30g-44g-55g-10g and so forth tanks. have 0 Bioligical filtration.. I have HOBS but i litterally as i said wash them in city water and kill everything on the floss.. My bio filtration is built up in my tanks from them being mature on their own.

I dunno if im making sense here lol.

Of course we have to keep in mind that BB considers everything filter media. That means gravel/sand/DW/glass, etc. However, whilst gravel is certainly a great media for beneficial bacteria, it is also a great trapper of detritus which causes an accumulation of DOC's.

dghby
11-03-2015, 01:43 PM
I am planning to put 6 small 2" Royal Red Discus, and 6 small 2" Checkerboard Discus in a double 75 Gallon setup (one group on top, one group on bottom) and try to grow them out. For my filtration setup for EACH 75 gallon tank I am planning on having a Marine-land Penguin Emperor 400 for mechanical filtration, a 40 Gallon wet dry sump filter with overflow kit next to it (obviously one can filter both tanks), and a hydro Sponge Pro V for Biological and chemical filtration for both tanks. Will I be able to get away with less water changes (maybe 70% every 3 days) since I am beefing up on extra filtration? Or is there a such thing as too much filtration?

Any opinions and advice would be most helpful. Thank you
Honestly, 2 #4 size Sponge filters and plenty of water changes is really all you need for growing out.