PDA

View Full Version : High temp. discus tolerance

Filip
11-03-2015, 08:31 PM
I was trying to get the appetite back on 3 of my non eating - discus and i gradually (in 4 days) ellevate the temperature from 84 F to 94 F (34 C).
Its been allmost 10 days since the temp. is 94 F and all of my discus started to look and get better.

For how long can i keep discus on 94F without stressing them too much?
Is 10 days pushing it or can i give them one more week?

Discus3anatic
11-03-2015, 09:50 PM
I dunno how high discus can tolerate.. I have gone to 90f in the past.. But when i did that other fish in my tank died off.. TBH i wouldnt go that high with discus... But thats just me, i think your just frying their organs doing 94f.

Just as in humans a body temp higher then 103f can be fatal and thats why they suggest you go to a hospital if you temps go higher, or the reason there is a thing called ice water baths

MKD
11-03-2015, 10:19 PM
Not all can tolerance the same temp or length of time. Depends on size and current condition. Just make to keep your eye on them and plenty of air.

DJW
11-03-2015, 10:22 PM
Your elevation is a factor in this as well. The higher the elevation, the lower the oxygen saturation.

Filip
11-04-2015, 05:14 AM
I took a pretty good care of good surface movement and additional air bubble curtain all along blackwall.So they aren't lacking 02.
I know that discus can withstand temps like above 100F.
I'm just not sure about the duration of heat treatment with 94f ?
10, 15 days?
Is there any recommendations concerning this heat treatment?

Second Hand Pat
11-04-2015, 08:26 AM
Generally 10 days but a read thru this thread might be helpful http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?89475-Heat-Treatment-for-Internal-Parasite-Worm-Issues.
Pat

DISCUS STU
11-04-2015, 11:26 AM
They can go for extended lengths at that temp., even higher for shorter periods. The main thing is oxygen levels as higher temps. hold less oxygen and of course water quality as bacteria multiplies much quicker at these higher temps.

Higher temps. do work, especially with Metronidazole which seems to work better at these temps. The action being that the Discus go into a fever state which boosts their immune system as opposed to the temps. killing the parasite/pathogen, but it could be both. This is what I used to read in the old books. It would be good to see a thread on this. This was generally one of the main treatments for Discus before commercial meds. were generally available.

Filip
11-04-2015, 04:20 PM
Generally 10 days but a read thru this thread might be helpful http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?89475-Heat-Treatment-for-Internal-Parasite-Worm-Issues.
Pat

Thanks Pat.Great thread.
Doing my homework on this subject I actually stumbled across this thread prior posting.This thread is actually what motivated me to start my heat treatment since it was full of positive experiences and outcomes.On top of that it has a method described from Hans himself, so that's should be a pretty good reference.

I was about to try the 97 F, 5-6 day method , but I wasn't able to find suitable heater for that.My Eheim Jagger goes up only to 94F Top.

That's why I got 94 F and I am about to take it to15 days.I hope that it will suffice.

Filip
11-04-2015, 04:32 PM
They can go for extended lengths at that temp., even higher for shorter periods. The main thing is oxygen levels as higher temps. hold less oxygen and of course water quality as bacteria multiplies much quicker at these higher temps.

Higher temps. do work, especially with Metronidazole which seems to work better at these temps. The action being that the Discus go into a fever state which boosts their immune system as opposed to the temps. killing the parasite/pathogen, but it could be both. This is what I used to read in the old books. It would be good to see a thread on this. This was generally one of the main treatments for Discus before commercial meds. were generally available.

I took caution on oxygen levels with good surface ripple and air bubble curtain.
Im also cautious about bacterial buildup and I do 90% wc daily.

Some sources state that only temps. Above 96 f do damage to parasites,but I wasn't able to elevate it that high.
I just hope this 94 F for 2 weeks will boost up their immunity and help them fight the parasites themselves.

So far after 9 days of heat treatment discus look better,everyone eats but still far from 100 % appetite.

MY hope is they will it more and come back 100% appetite once I get them back to normal temps.

DISCUS STU
11-05-2015, 09:31 AM
I took caution on oxygen levels with good surface ripple and air bubble curtain.
Im also cautious about bacterial buildup and I do 90% wc daily.

Some sources state that only temps. Above 96 f do damage to parasites,but I wasn't able to elevate it that high.
I just hope this 94 F for 2 weeks will boost up their immunity and help them fight the parasites themselves.

So far after 9 days of heat treatment discus look better,everyone eats but still far from 100 % appetite.

MY hope is they will it more and come back 100% appetite once I get them back to normal temps.

Metronidazole has worked for me, or more accurately my fish, in conjunction with higher temps. I had a Blue Diamond that came back this way, it was absolutely gray and not eating and now she's back and ready to mate, if only she could find the right mate.

Filip
11-10-2015, 10:33 AM
I just want to add an update to my situation and this thread.

After 12 days of 34C/94C temperature I decided to decline the temps gradually By 1.5C daily.
I did that becouse on the last 2 days of heat treatment I've noticed decreased appetite in all discus.
They all ate and act healthy but with less appetite.
As soon as the temps went down they regain their appetite and started to eat more as the temps. went down to normal 29c/82F.

So their full appetite started when the temps went down to normal, not when they were in full heat.

Skip
11-10-2015, 11:37 AM
104 cooks them.. i learned this hard way.. :/

Filip
11-10-2015, 05:24 PM
104 cooks them.. i learned this hard way.. :/
Just out of curiosity Skip. How long did they handle it before it cooked them?

Skip
11-10-2015, 06:05 PM
Just out of curiosity Skip. How long did they handle it before it cooked them?

idk.. i wasn't watching them while they were cooking to test that..

i left they were fine..

i came back.. they were dead.. tank was radiating heat!! couldn't believe it. .first heater to get stuck on me.. wanatabe cobalts f1 :(

Filip
11-10-2015, 07:33 PM
idk.. i wasn't watching them while they were cooking to test that..

i left they were fine..

i came back.. they were dead.. tank was radiating heat!! couldn't believe it. .first heater to get stuck on me.. wanatabe cobalts f1 :(

Oh,It was a mistake lol. I thought you were treating them also, and I believed for a second that they maybe withstand for a day or two on this temp. :)
Too bad for your F1s, anyway.

Skip
11-10-2015, 07:56 PM
Ooh no. No treatment.. Bad heater :(