PDA

View Full Version : Starting a new tank with Discus

dannyboyzz
11-04-2015, 09:44 PM
Hi everyone.

I am a novice at this but planning to start a tank with Discus and other community fishes. I have done lots of researches and readings online the past couple of weeks. I have a 90 gallon tank. I plan to have a planted tank with Eco-Complete Subtrate. I have purchased a Fluval 406 External Filter, EHEIM Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heater, 250-Watt, and other necessary equipments (I think :D ) I will begin the fishless cycle process, but will use the Tetra SafeStart Plus to speed up the process. I am watching the How To Keep Discus on You Tube and have questions about the quarantine steps for new fishes.

Is there a preferred order of adding fishes? Discus first and other community fishes after or vice versa?

With a new tank, do I need to put the new fishes in a quarantine tank after I bought it from the store?

I will also be given 3 discus. These discus are already in an established tanks for a year now. Do I still need to put them in quarantine for a few weeks?

I have also purchased these equipments:
Seachem Prime
Seachem Ammonia Alert
Fluval Ammonia Remover
Fluval Biomax Bio Rings
Fluval Zeo-Carb
API Test Kit
API Stress Coat Water Conditioner
Python No Spill Clean & Fill Vacuum System

I would very highly appreciate your answers to my questions and any comments/suggestions about my plan for the tank, setup and equipments.

Thank you.

Dan

Akili
11-04-2015, 09:55 PM
All fish that you want in your tank should be quarantined at least for six weeks, also I may add go with bare bottom tank.

rickztahone
11-04-2015, 10:41 PM
All fish that you want in your tank should be quarantined at least for six weeks, also I may add go with bare bottom tank.

agreed. QT everything. If I were you, I'd actually pass on getting the 3 discus. Get a nice sized group, possibly 8x 3-4" discus and put them in the new tank first. Then, QT the incoming dither fish and observe them for 6 weeks.

dannyboyzz
11-05-2015, 11:39 AM
Thank you for your replies. There are so much to read about Discus. Nice to keep, but requires lots of WC.

DJW
11-05-2015, 12:34 PM
I would eliminate the ammonia remover and the zeo-carb... let the biofilter handle the ammonia.

dannyboyzz
11-05-2015, 02:05 PM
agreed. QT everything. If I were you, I'd actually pass on getting the 3 discus. Get a nice sized group, possibly 8x 3-4" discus and put them in the new tank first. Then, QT the incoming dither fish and observe them for 6 weeks.

Any particular reasons why you would pass on the 3 discus? I thought it would be better since these discus are already in a good environment and doing fine.

Thanks.

Skip
11-05-2015, 02:20 PM
Any particular reasons why you would pass on the 3 discus? I thought it would be better since these discus are already in a good environment and doing fine.

Thanks.

free fish carrry alot of baggage.. lol.. just get al your fish from a sponsor.. and you will getting off to a good start.. MIXING fish from two sources is a terrible idea..

you are new to discus.. and you are seeking advice.. but its your tank.. and you will do it the way you see fit..

DISCUS STU
11-05-2015, 05:17 PM
Most of this sounds good. Are the 3 fish fully grown? Planted tanks aren't always the healthiest for Discus. Bare bottom is reall a better way to work until you have some experience and understand how to keep these fish. Any new fish should be quarantined. I quarantine with praziquantel, metronidazole, etc. especially when I'm iffy re the source for the new fish.

dannyboyzz
11-06-2015, 12:40 PM
Most of this sounds good. Are the 3 fish fully grown? Planted tanks aren't always the healthiest for Discus. Bare bottom is reall a better way to work until you have some experience and understand how to keep these fish. Any new fish should be quarantined. I quarantine with praziquantel, metronidazole, etc. especially when I'm iffy re the source for the new fish.

The fishes are about 4 inches and they are currently being raised in a BB tank.

Skip
11-06-2015, 12:47 PM
The fishes are about 4 inches and they are currently being raised in a BB tank.

about 4 inches.. after a year.. ?!?!? when the size is "about 4 inches".. probably closer to 3..

nope.. walk away.. esp. if its a guy doing the measuring..