PDA

View Full Version : New Discus -Compatibility Problem and Failure to Thrive

djs
11-05-2015, 10:52 PM
This is my first Discus, I have had fish for about 4 year previously. I used to have fancy goldfish in a planted tank!

I received the following fish from Kenny's Discus about a month ago.:
Blue Diamond 5.5 –6
Mosaic Turquoise 5-5.5
Super Eruption 5.5
Fuji Red 4.5 –5
Millenium 4.0-4.5

The Blue Diamond and Mosaic Turquoise are very much in love and have spawned at least 5 times already-and my family watches their lovemaking during dinner (that is when they usually spawn on the display tank glass). Lots of questions from my young daughter. Four of the 5 Discus are doing fine and are eating all of the time (Kens Blackworms, Beefheart, Brine Shrimp, Blackworm and Spinach Cubes).

This is a 75 gallon rimless, planted tank with a sump/wet dry/refugium and Eheim 2217 Canister filter. I keep the lights on for 12 hours each day, no algae for about a year now. I have CO2 regulator but I am not currently using. Temp is 84 degrees w/c (50% or more) every other day, pool sand. I also have -3 cory cats, 3 Bosemani Rainbows, 3 Killifish (stay at the top), 2 Flame Dwarf Gourmani (Shy), a 4 Tetra Embers, 3 Bolivian Rams, 4 Celebes Rainbowfish and 2 Peacock Gudgeons. I did re-home several fish before the Discus arrived and I may be a little overstocked-but with the frequent WC and filtration, it seems to be working fine, except for this problem:

The Fuji Red-when he arrived, he was overtly aggressive with all of the other fish, pushing them (even the big boys who are almost 2 inches larger than him in circumference) and then all of a sudden he stopped and now he spends all of his days hiding behind a tree (for about a month now) that I have displayed that is covered in moss. He very rarely comes up and if I see him and I am feeding the other fish, he ignores the food and goes behind the tree. The only time that I see him in the tank swimming is when the lights are off and the room is dark. He is not fighting with other fish, he stays away from them and they stay away from him.

I really think (know) he is going to die from starvation, I overfeed so that there will be extra food on the substrate that he may eat. I can put him in a temporary hospital tank, but I don't want to set up another permanent tank and I know Discus are better in groups (because they are social?)

Do you think I should try to find a different home for him in a tank that is not planted and does not use the intensity and duration of lighting that I have? The other discus have fully adjusted and are fine with the light.

Kenny has been absolutely great and he said that fish have differences based on the strains and that he believes that my Fuji may do better in a warmer tank,. I cannot really turn up higher due to the community fish in the tank.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Deb

Altum Nut
11-05-2015, 11:49 PM
Congrats Deb and know Discus assume a pecking order...Mr or Miss Fuji Red thought he was king or queen until one of the others put him or her in it's place. Discus can go long without eating and think it's getting food when your not watching. Give it time and continue with your w/c schedule. I would drop temp to 82 but prefer you take Kenny's advice if it's necessary. Keep observing for any changes but think time is the answer.
Restocking others and just keeping a Discus tank maybe something to consider.

...Ralph

DISCUS STU
11-06-2015, 11:16 AM
I could be wrong but a fish that is hiding and not eating sounds like it could be a sick fish and not something behavioral. You may want to remove this fish for treatment and post to the Disease section. When fish exhibit this behavior, especially after they had been, healthy, even aggressive, and thriving, I have to ask myself why. It's usually their health.

Lilly
11-07-2015, 11:23 AM
I could be wrong but a fish that is hiding and not eating sounds like it could be a sick fish and not something behavioral. You may want to remove this fish for treatment and post to the Disease section. When fish exhibit this behavior, especially after they had been, healthy, even aggressive, and thriving, I have to ask myself why. It's usually their health.

+1

One thing I have learned here is that a discus not eating and not hanging with the group does not feel well :(

djs
11-07-2015, 11:46 PM
Okay, I will move him tomorrow-no-one else is sick (and I am watching) very closely. I know from what I have read on Simply Discus that Discus are very social and need hiding places and/or other fish to feel comfortable and that is why I was hesitating to move him-more stress. But I think I will do this and just observe and I might put a little bit of salt in the isolation tank.

Thanks