PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Background

Scotsman13
11-08-2015, 02:16 PM
I have just started Building a new Planted Discus Tank I intend Painting the back of my tank and would like some advice on what colour would be best
for my tank. My Substrate is light brown I also have white sand at the front of my tank. My Lighting is LED and 6500 Kelvin and approximately 500 LUX
can any body help.I would like to know what Discus is best of this setup.
Yours scotsman13

Luke in Phoenix
11-08-2015, 03:38 PM
A black background will darken your fish a lot. With a white bottom or background my discus bring out their colors a lot more. It depends on if you like darker discus or lighter discus.

I did a similar planted tank and then put a mirror on the back for a background. It will make your tank look bigger and "double" your fish. I get a lot of compliments on it. Just a thought.

Four2one
11-09-2015, 02:12 PM
I like painted backgrounds and IMO a lavender or light blue color really makes the fish "pop" in the tank.

A black background will darken your fish a lot. With a white bottom or background my discus bring out their colors a lot more. It depends on if you like darker discus or lighter discus.

I did a similar planted tank and then put a mirror on the back for a background. It will make your tank look bigger and "double" your fish. I get a lot of compliments on it. Just a thought.

The mirror idea sounds neat, do you have pictures anywhere? Does it complicate taking pictures?

rickztahone
11-09-2015, 04:09 PM
You can do a black background with a light tank bottom and it is said by many that it doesn't darken the discus as much as a dark bottom and black background. Personally, I have always done some kind of 3D background, but I know those aren't for everyone.

Luke in Phoenix
11-10-2015, 02:26 PM
The mirror idea sounds neat, do you have pictures anywhere? Does it complicate taking pictures?

The only bad thing about taking pictures is that they have to be at a little bit of an angle otherwise you can see the camera but it's not that bad.

Here is one of my tanks with a Mirror background:

rickztahone
11-10-2015, 02:41 PM
Man you have a lot of discus in there! Oh wait, that's the reflection.... :laugh:

Luke in Phoenix
11-10-2015, 03:53 PM
Man you have a lot of discus in there! Oh wait, that's the reflection.... :laugh:

Haha, 2 for 1!

Jack L
11-10-2015, 09:37 PM
I have just started Building a new Planted Discus Tank I intend Painting the back of my tank and would like some advice on what colour would be best
for my tank. My Substrate is light brown I also have white sand at the front of my tank. My Lighting is LED and 6500 Kelvin and approximately 500 LUX
can any body help.I would like to know what Discus is best of this setup.
Yours scotsman13

depends on your plans, eventually in a planted tank you might not see the background anyway

the tank i had before this discus tank i bought i nice 3D background, then plants grew in and i couldn't see it anymore. so in my current tank, there is no background.

Scotsman13
11-29-2015, 10:29 AM
I am just new Simply Discus and not very good on sending and receiving massages my be you give some tips on how to use this form.
Question 2 I have just got 5 Blue Dimond fish about 5inch I have had them for 5 days and 4 out of the 5 are all swimming very well
but number 5 is a bit shy I have planted tank that is a corner tank and 200 ltr My lights are LED 2 white at 6500k and 2 blue at 3000k
this is a full set up of sun rise at 12.00 and sun set at 22.00.
My PH is 6.5 Ammonia is 0 Nitrate is 0 Nitrite is 0. Any suggestions and some help I have had tropical fish for about 50 years but never Discus.
All the best Ian

Luke in Phoenix
12-01-2015, 02:37 PM
I am just new Simply Discus and not very good on sending and receiving massages my be you give some tips on how to use this form.
Question 2 I have just got 5 Blue Dimond fish about 5inch I have had them for 5 days and 4 out of the 5 are all swimming very well
but number 5 is a bit shy I have planted tank that is a corner tank and 200 ltr My lights are LED 2 white at 6500k and 2 blue at 3000k
this is a full set up of sun rise at 12.00 and sun set at 22.00.
My PH is 6.5 Ammonia is 0 Nitrate is 0 Nitrite is 0. Any suggestions and some help I have had tropical fish for about 50 years but never Discus.
All the best Ian

Welcome Ian,
I would start in this section of the blog: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?48-Discus-Basics-for-Beginners
It will answer many of your first questions.

Good luck!
Luke