PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Lim Red Velvet X Forrest Red Eagle, is it worth it?

For100
11-08-2015, 03:07 PM
Hi,

After several failed attempts by the parents, I decided to rescue a batch of about 30 wriggles on Friday. artificially raising them is not a walk in the park, I wanted to know if this cross would produce an interesting outcome before keep moving forward with them.

They are eating egg yolk mix and I will feed them BBS tomorrow morning after the first batch is ready. I will post pictures as soon as I can.

Thank you

For100

For100
11-09-2015, 02:14 PM
hi folks,

Any idea or help here? I won't like to spend time and effort to end up with a bunch of peppered fish.

rickztahone
11-09-2015, 03:53 PM
Do you have a pic of the parents?

Skip
11-09-2015, 04:07 PM
Red Eagle.
http://i.imgur.com/uUBAu47.jpg?1
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?113873-Kenny-s-Red-Eagle

Ricky Lim Velvet Rouge (aka velvet red?!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h0f3AZHhX0

rickztahone
11-09-2015, 04:10 PM
I am no breeding expert (by any means), but both are pb based discus, so you could do worse. What is your goal?

Skip
11-09-2015, 04:12 PM
I am no breeding expert (by any means), but both are pb based discus, so you could do worse. What is your goal?

rick.. i was assuming.. Velvet Rouge is same as OP state Velvet Red.. after looking at Ricky Lim previous stock list.. but do you think.. the VR.. could be more of a Red Cover type? which is not PB.. thoughts?!

rickztahone
11-09-2015, 04:16 PM
rick.. i was assuming.. Velvet Rouge is same as OP state Velvet Red.. after looking at Ricky Lim previous stock list.. but do you think.. the VR.. could be more of a Red Cover type? which is not PB.. thoughts?!

by all means you may be correct. When it comes to PB's, it has become very difficult for me over the years to try to dissect what makes what. Different names certainly isn't helping the situation for me.

Skip
11-09-2015, 04:32 PM
Wait..i just realized. . PB don't have stress bars...right. . The VR have them. ..

OP
if ur VR have stress bars.. then they would be NonPB..

rickztahone
11-09-2015, 04:35 PM
Wait..i just realized. . PB don't have stress bars...right. . The VR have them. ..

OP
if ur VR have stress bars.. then they would be NonPB..

yup, you are correct. However, is the Ricky Lim Red Velvet the same as Ricky Lim Velvet Rouge. I know it is a stupid question because they mean the same thing, but again, with these names, you simply do not know any more.

Skip
11-09-2015, 04:39 PM
yup, you are correct. However, is the Ricky Lim Red Velvet the same as Ricky Lim Velvet Rouge.

thats what i am assuming.. i look at Ryan stock list.. and old florida discus list.. "Velvet Rouge" was used.. may Ryan will chime in when he sees it :)

For100
11-09-2015, 07:21 PM
Hi Skip,

Thank for helping post pictures. I am too lazy to do it myself.

Your assumption is correct. I got the name wrong, these are Velvet Rouge. I got them from Florida Discus (when Ryan was working there) during NADA 2014.

With the input so far, this conversation is heading where I was afraid of it would. It is PB and non PB mix, not good. :-(

I was afraid because of the slightly visible stress bars. Some kind of brown based and PB mix.

Well, it is what it is. Nothing I can do about it. Fry is in great shape so far though. Eating like small pigs and swimming in their 1 liter bottle. Nothing to regret, not trying create a new linage or anything like it. If they make it great, if they don't so be it.

Ryan
11-10-2015, 02:49 PM
From what I understand, there is some PB in the Velvet Rouge line. I have never bred them so I'm not sure what kind of fry they throw. I also don't know what fry are thrown by red eagles. I'm guessing neither of these strains breed true. So really the only way to know would be to keep raising them and see what you get. That's half the fun. :p

Rick may have a better idea since he's played extensively with discus genetics in breeding experiments.

nc0gnet0
11-10-2015, 04:20 PM
From what I understand, there is some PB in the Velvet Rouge line. I have never bred them so I'm not sure what kind of fry they throw. I also don't know what fry are thrown by red eagles. I'm guessing neither of these strains breed true. So really the only way to know would be to keep raising them and see what you get. That's half the fun. :p

Rick may have a better idea since he's played extensively with discus genetics in breeding experiments.

They both look like Pigeons too me, only one way to find out.........

Skip
11-10-2015, 04:20 PM
They both look like Pigeons too me, only one way to find out.........

Play some Barry White. .and let them get busy