PDA

View Full Version : Fish Adapting to new beef heart mix

Salvin49
11-09-2015, 03:07 PM
I have made up my own beef heart mix for the 8 Hans Juvies that I am growing out. I purchased them about 6 weeks ago and I bought some BH from Hans when I ordered them. As that mix started to run out I made my own. The mix is as follows

2lbs beef heart
2lbs deer heart
2lbs cod
3lbs shrimp
3 egg yokes
1 bag of steamed spinach
2 tbsp of paprika
Approx 18 cloves of garlic
8 vitamins

My question is the advised procedure on getting them all to eat it.

My normal routine is a light BH feed in the morning, flakes at 11:30, BH again at 1:30, flakes at 5:30, Heavy BH at 8 right before water change, then a cube of FDBW at 10

Today is my 3rd day on the new BH mix and all but two fish are eating it, though not as enthusiastically as they were with Han's mix. However, the Marlboro red (who is also the smallest fish) and the tefe seem to be not eating the mix. They spit out every piece of seafood they intake. After the BH feeding the other 6 have visibly large stomachs, but these two are only eating heavy on the FDBW

Do you advise to feed only BH for a few days so that they have to get used to it? Or keep going with what I'm doing and they will eventually take to it?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Salvin49
11-09-2015, 06:47 PM
Found a thread in the general section with the same discussion. It was recommended to mix the liked food with the new food. This sounds like a good idea. I will start with a 50/50 mix of Hans beef heart with my beef heart for a week and see if that helps things.

rickztahone
11-09-2015, 07:15 PM
Offer new foods in the morning when they are the most hungry.