PDA

View Full Version : Glass vs. acrylic tanks

Spike Cover
11-09-2015, 07:03 PM
All,

I'm getting ready to get ready :D and am looking for opinions AND REASONS why to buy a glass tank vs. an acrylic tank or vice versa. I'm contemplating a custom tank (for a specific space) that will probably be about 66" long x 23" wide x 24" high (about 150 gal). While price is a factor, convenience and ease of maintenance are the real "biggies" for me. I'm hoping to automate it (at least with automatic water changes) as I know from experience that a labor intensive system leads to neglect, that leads to poor maintenance which leads to poor water quality, that leads to unhealthy fish and that leads to my unhappiness. And I've found that the only reason I pursue a hobby is to be happy.... hence low maintenance is huge for me (I'm lazy).

So with that as a set-up, what say you all on the subject?

Thanks in advance,
Spike

PS, BTW, I waded thru about 8 or 10 pages of this particular forum looking for answers and a bunch from others too... even searched the site but still couldn't find what I was looking for. I finally posted this. So, I'm hoping no one posts "RTFM" :(

rickztahone
11-09-2015, 07:25 PM
All,

I'm getting ready to get ready :D and am looking for opinions AND REASONS why to buy a glass tank vs. an acrylic tank or vice versa. I'm contemplating a custom tank (for a specific space) that will probably be about 66" long x 23" wide x 24" high (about 150 gal). While price is a factor, convenience and ease of maintenance are the real "biggies" for me. I'm hoping to automate it (at least with automatic water changes) as I know from experience that a labor intensive system leads to neglect, that leads to poor maintenance which leads to poor water quality, that leads to unhealthy fish and that leads to my unhappiness. And I've found that the only reason I pursue a hobby is to be happy.... hence low maintenance is huge for me (I'm lazy).

So with that as a set-up, what say you all on the subject?

Thanks in advance,
Spike

PS, BTW, I waded thru about 8 or 10 pages of this particular forum looking for answers and a bunch from others too... even searched the site but still couldn't find what I was looking for. I finally posted this. So, I hoping no one posts "RTFM" :(

lol, "RTFM".

I have had both glass and acrylic. A pro for acrylic, and the only reason I went with it on my current build is for the ease of drilling vs glass. I had never drilled a tank and after reading how much easier it was to drill acrylic, I went with that.

Another pro for acrylic, it is super light! I can move the 75g tank on my own with no problems. I couldn't move my 55g glass tank without help.

Which one is clearer? You know what, the jury is still out for me on this one. I feel that glass is clearer, but maybe because the acrylic tank I bought wasn't brand spanking new, but it didn't have any scratches which leads me to believe it was very well cared for.

Does acrylic scratch easier than glass? Yes, that is true, but, acrylic can be buffed. And while glass can also be polished, if you get a relatively deep scratch in there, chances are you will not get it out.

warblad79
11-09-2015, 07:44 PM
Acrylic can retain temperature better than glass. Also acrylic is durable than glass, the disadvantage of acrylic is that it doesn't retain clarity for a long time, it could get scratch easily and also expensive.

MKD
11-09-2015, 08:27 PM
1 more pro for acrylic, slowly leaking more them to safe fish or prepare, very rare it bursted.

warblad79
11-09-2015, 08:30 PM
Acrylic is cheaper in the long run compare to glass.

afriend
11-09-2015, 08:38 PM
While price is a factor, convenience and ease of maintenance are the real "biggies" for me. I'm hoping to automate it (at least with automatic water changes) as I know from experience that a labor intensive system leads to neglect, that leads to poor maintenance which leads to poor water quality, that leads to unhealthy fish and that leads to my unhappiness. And I've found that the only reason I pursue a hobby is to be happy.... hence low maintenance is huge for me (I'm lazy).

Spike Cover,

For a show tank, my strong preference is for glass because it does not scratch as easily as acrylic, especially with a bare bottom tank. Glass is not that difficult to drill holes providing it is not tempered. Scratches just seem to spoil the whole effect of a beautiful tank.

If you are considering a show tank with adult discus and without plants, I would suggest that you take a look at the four stickies in the following link:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?124-Filtration-Pumps-and-Plumbing

This system that I have developed drastically reduces the amount of tank maintenance that is required to keep the tank pristine clean. In fact, the only cleaning of any kind is once a month and it always looks as if I just cleaned it. Algae, uneaten food, and feces are automatically removed by the filtration system. Since I have an automated water exchange system, the water quality is pristine also. I've been working with this system for about three years now, and I can truly say that the results are amazing. Also, I have improved it somewhat with some minor changes since the above stickies were posted. One of the improvements is how to create a pretty bare bottom tank scene. If you are interested, I'll post some pictures.

Paul

Spike Cover
11-10-2015, 03:07 PM
Paul,

Great stickies. I spent several hours reading. Thanks. I was very interested in your Purigen reactor and plan to look into how that thing works. I'm a mechanical engineer and long-time fish geek so I'd no doubt want to make a few changes to the system but that's how things progress (or we discover another way NOT to do it), right? Thanks for taking the time to share all this with the forum. I'm sure from reading the replies that lots of folks here really appreciate it. I know I do. Cutting the work improves the enjoyment. Thanks again.

Spike

asteele.19
11-10-2015, 04:52 PM
another one for acrylic

afriend
11-10-2015, 05:25 PM
Paul,

Great stickies. I spent several hours reading. Thanks. I was very interested in your Purigen reactor and plan to look into how that thing works. I'm a mechanical engineer and long-time fish geek so I'd no doubt want to make a few changes to the system but that's how things progress (or we discover another way NOT to do it), right? Thanks for taking the time to share all this with the forum. I'm sure from reading the replies that lots of folks here really appreciate it. I know I do. Cutting the work improves the enjoyment. Thanks again.

Spike

Aeronautical engineer here. The reactor works very well as is, however I'm sure you can improve on it. As with everything I've ever built there is always a better way the second time around. Would be interested in pictures.

Your post about wanting to reduce maintenance is what caught my eye. I can assure you that the system that I presented will accomplish exactly that. Good luck with your project, and feel free to ask questions if I can be of assistance.

Paul

Spike Cover
11-10-2015, 05:31 PM
Everyone,

Thanks for all your inputs. I'm considering it all but the one thing that may be the clincher is that I have a place for the tank that is only accessible from one side (the front) and a bit from the top. This might make sticking a 150 gal glass tank in the hole a real bugger. I'm a DIY kindda guy but I'm also 75 years old and not nearly as strong as I used to be (groan) and I don't think I can get a forklift in my family room.

Anyway this forum has given me several good ideas to automate stuff and I love the mechanics of it almost as much as I love the fish (LOL).

Thanks again, especially to the folks who shared their reasons for preferring one material over the other. That was all very helpful.

Spike

rickztahone
11-10-2015, 05:40 PM
Everyone,

Thanks for all your inputs. I'm considering it all but the one thing that may be the clincher is that I have a place for the tank that is only accessible from one side (the front) and a bit from the top. This might make sticking a 150 gal glass tank in the hole a real bugger. I'm a DIY kindda guy but I'm also 75 years old and not nearly as strong as I used to be (groan) and I don't think I can get a forklift in my family room.

Anyway this forum has given me several good ideas to automate stuff and I love the mechanics of it almost as much as I love the fish (LOL).

Thanks again, especially to the folks who shared their reasons for preferring one material over the other. That was all very helpful.

Spike

acrylic will be much much lighter, but you will still need one other person to help you move it in to place.

Cosmo
02-21-2016, 05:43 PM
I have a 180 acrylic - I can move it by myself if I have to, but usually enlist the wife since it's 6ft long. I believe a 180 glass aquarium weights upwards of 500lbs :p I've had this and antother one 10/12 years with no problems

mee
02-21-2016, 10:06 PM
Acrylic. All the reasons have been stated. I have one 40 gallon leglass (fancy rimless) and another 20, they are nice, but everything else is acrylic. Scratches can be buffed out. tanks are easy to move. You don't have to freak out if something hits them. They can tolerate things like being slightly unlevel, etc.. etc...