PDA

View Full Version : When is RO water used? Water chemistry?

jeff12
11-09-2015, 07:28 PM
Is RO water used only for breeding or for the main tank?

I have read from several sources about pH and have ran into different answers. Some places say use the pH that is from the tap water and that would be fine, some say use stuff to lower the pH. So I would like to clear it up, what is the best pH for breeding? What would be the best pH for the main tank?

I have also read carbon should not be used for discus, is this true?

Discus has a lot of nit picks with water chemistry so I would like to get it right.

warblad79
11-09-2015, 07:50 PM
First of all, what is your goal? growing out discus or breeding.

RO is mostly use for breeding and wild discus. Just do a search in Breeding section, it's already been ask and discuss for many times.

jeff12
11-09-2015, 08:00 PM
First of all, what is your goal? growing out discus or breeding.

RO is mostly use for breeding and wild discus. Just do a search in Breeding section, it's already been ask and discuss for many times.

Both, growing discus and breeding.

warblad79
11-09-2015, 08:28 PM
Aged tap water for grow out and mix RO/Tap for breeding

John_Nicholson
11-09-2015, 09:21 PM
I use RO for breeding and RO waste water for everything else.

-john

jeff12
11-12-2015, 04:48 AM
I use RO for breeding and RO waste water for everything else.

-john

What is RO waste water?

Filip
11-12-2015, 05:56 AM
The Ro filter makes only 1 gallon Ro water out of 4 gallon tap.
The other 3 gallons are Ro waste water.
it means filtered water but not completely.

jeff12
11-14-2015, 03:02 AM
So if the main tank had regular water but then the breeding tank had RO, would it affect the pair?

If RO is used to let the eggs hatch, then is RO required for fry grow out?

Filip
11-14-2015, 09:52 AM
So if the main tank had regular water but then the breeding tank had RO, would it affect the pair?

If RO is used to let the eggs hatch, then is RO required for fry grow out?

1. If the 2 tanks have different parameters you must adapt them gradually,sudden changes always affects them.
2.I haven't breed and grow fry my self yet,but in theory soft water is only used for breeding and hatching, but hard water Is actually better for growing.
Probably cause of all the minerals it has in it that are essential for discus growth.