PDA

View Full Version : Curing Driftwoon in new tank

DiscusGino
11-10-2015, 04:20 PM
I just received my sandblasted manzanita driftwood and just filled up my tank with RO water for now to start the fishless cycle. Can I just place the driftwood inside during the cycle to cure and sink instead of a bucket?

rickztahone
11-10-2015, 04:22 PM
I just received my sandblasted manzanita driftwood and just filled up my tank with RO water for now to start the fishless cycle. Can I just place the driftwood inside during the cycle to cure and sink instead of a bucket?

You want to boil it first. After that, you can put it in the tank. Is there a reason you filled the tank up with RO water and not tap?

DiscusGino
11-10-2015, 04:34 PM
You want to boil it first. After that, you can put it in the tank. Is there a reason you filled the tank up with RO water and not tap?

I already had a RODI unit from my reef equipment. I removed my DI resin and installed an extra carbon block to make RO water. My city water TDS is around 380ppm and output started at 90ppm and was running at 19ppm. I plan to put either tap and or RO waste water to get the TDS to around 100-200ppm.

Thanks for the advise on boiling. I will do this prior to placing it in the tank.

rickztahone
11-10-2015, 05:22 PM
I already had a RODI unit from my reef equipment. I removed my DI resin and installed an extra carbon block to make RO water. My city water TDS is around 380ppm and output started at 90ppm and was running at 19ppm. I plan to put either tap and or RO waste water to get the TDS to around 100-200ppm.

Thanks for the advise on boiling. I will do this prior to placing it in the tank.

Cool. Smaller discus do not need RO water which is why I mentioned it. They would be fine with TDS 380 as well. Less work for you.

DiscusGino
11-10-2015, 06:28 PM
Cool. Smaller discus do not need RO water which is why I mentioned it. They would be fine with TDS 380 as well. Less work for you.

Thanks for the information!

My tank is rimless and topless so I have around half a gallon of evaporation a day and my RO line is connected to a reservoir and have my Apex for the ATO pump. I guess I have to keep monitoring the TDS on the reservoir. From what I was reading, if I go pure RO water that I need to dose Seachem Fresh Trace correct? Thanks for all the help!

rickztahone
11-10-2015, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the information!

My tank is rimless and topless so I have around half a gallon of evaporation a day and my RO line is connected to a reservoir and have my Apex for the ATO pump. I guess I have to keep monitoring the TDS on the reservoir. From what I was reading, if I go pure RO water that I need to dose Seachem Fresh Trace correct? Thanks for all the help!

If you go pure RO, you can mix tap water back in. Again though, Juvienile discus do not need, nor benefit from pure RO water.

Filip
11-10-2015, 07:19 PM
Right after boiling if you put the wood immediately in to very cold water it will speed up the sinking proces.

And Yes you need to add back the minerals in Ro water.

P.s. Beneficial bacteria thrives in higher Ph range-above 7.
If your Ph is too low during cycling it can compromise it or slow it down.

DiscusGino
11-10-2015, 11:36 PM
Thanks for all the input. I am currently soaking them in a tub of hot water and will continue to change the water everyday. After the color of the dirty water starts to clear up I will boil and add to the tank. Right now my 60gal tank has the main display full of RO (50gal) water and will ad tap to the sump (15gal).

Jack L
11-17-2015, 10:27 PM
FWIW i found purigen to seemingly extract the tannin form dw compared to soaking it and draining water, it was pretty amazing actually.

navarro1950
11-18-2015, 02:27 AM
i would be careful and not put the driftwood in until you have completed the fishless cycle. You don't want to take the chance and get any of the ammonia in your tank. as for the tannis the discus love it, it's us that don't care for it, but it won't hurt.