PDA

View Full Version : Consolidated discus genetics source?

Treefolk
11-11-2015, 08:22 PM
Hello,

I'm new to discus, in fact I don't even have any yet, but I do come from herptoculture and am quite familiar with genentics. With a lot of the species of reptiles we keep in the hobby, the genetics are well tracked, predictable and mapped out. I have been having great difficulty finding similar information on Discus. My understanding is that discus are polygeneic, but I have read on this sub that certain things are recessive. Is there a list of recessives, dominants and co-dominates for discus? If so, can you please link it?

Thank you

rickztahone
11-11-2015, 11:50 PM
There is a great explanation in one of Andrew Soh's book about how genes work. However, Rick has given some great info on the subject. I do not have a specific post to link to, but if I run in to one from the past, I will link you to it.

Treefolk
11-12-2015, 04:49 AM
There is a great explanation in one of Andrew Soh's book about how genes work. However, Rick has given some great info on the subject. I do not have a specific post to link to, but if I run in to one from the past, I will link you to it.

Book title?

John_Nicholson
11-12-2015, 09:08 AM
Also remember most discus breeders are very shut mouth about how they developed their strains. Some of the information out there has probably been put out their to confuse more than help...LOL.

-john

Treefolk
11-12-2015, 03:40 PM
Also remember most discus breeders are very shut mouth about how they developed their strains. Some of the information out there has probably been put out their to confuse more than help...LOL.

-john

That's amazing, considering if someone did that in the reptile trade, they would quickly be out of business. Fish people are strange...

rickztahone
11-12-2015, 11:13 PM
That's amazing, considering if someone did that in the reptile trade, they would quickly be out of business. Fish people are strange...

or business people, lol.

rickztahone
11-12-2015, 11:15 PM
Book title?

"Discus problems and solutions"

This is the original thread where I got mine from, but keep in mind how old that thread is:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?71656-Andrew-s-New-Book-Group-Buy&highlight=andrew