PDA

View Full Version : Return Pump

dghby
11-14-2015, 01:41 PM
working on a new setup, 165gl/55gl sump.
my sump layout will give me about another 30gl of total water volume.
this tank will be free of any substrate so the water volume will be pushing 195 gl.

my question at the moment is what type of turnover should we be typically looking for?
if I go with a 1200 gph pump it looks like I should get slightly over 6 turns an hour, correct?

this should be plenty for a freshwater Discus tank right?

please share your thoughts, would love to here what those around here are striving for.

Pump recommendations as well would be appreciated, I think I want a DC pump so I can control it without going into the sump to do it.

Boyd Luth
11-15-2015, 06:42 AM
Your Math sounds correct. I personally run a refugium, I Tee off the discharge of my Little Giant ( external to sump, 1200 GPH on a 160 gallon ) and run slow flow through/to my planted refugium. I control flow to my main tank. I am not really sure of the turnover on the main tank ? as I enjoy a mellow slow flow to the Display. I run internal wave /powerheads at certain times during the day to stir up the detritus ( fish pooh ) in the main tank to allow the pooh to stir into the water flow back to my sump. I use this same type set-up on my 125 gallon that I am setting up now :-). Hope this helps.

dghby
11-15-2015, 08:40 AM
Your Math sounds correct. I personally run a refugium, I Tee off the discharge of my Little Giant ( external to sump, 1200 GPH on a 160 gallon ) and run slow flow through/to my planted refugium. I control flow to my main tank. I am not really sure of the turnover on the main tank ? as I enjoy a mellow slow flow to the Display. I run internal wave /powerheads at certain times during the day to stir up the detritus ( fish pooh ) in the main tank to allow the pooh to stir into the water flow back to my sump. I use this same type set-up on my 125 gallon that I am setting up now :-). Hope this helps.
thanks Boyd

MKD
11-15-2015, 10:59 AM
Just a side note when shop for pump. Most Pump has different return rate at different height, so you have to look for the at your new tank height.